Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Currently selected color in color floating palettes?
Currently selected color in color floating palettes?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject:

Test 15 fixes fmu's problem for me too.

Andy
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Works for me too.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the color palette improvements in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 5. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
fmu
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I have included the color palette improvements in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 5. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick

Thank you very much for your incredible work.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject:

Has anyone seen any crashes when pressing a toolbar color button or selecting a color within a color palette?

I ask because while I was creating a simple spreadsheet yesterday, NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 5 crashed when I opened the toolbar popup menu shown in the attached screen snapshot.

I have been unable to reproduce the crash after many repeated tries and my crash log doesn't give much indication where the crash is, but I am pretty sure that the crashing is due to a real bug in our code.

If anyone can reproduce the crash that I saw, can you try to post what actions you did immediately before the crash? My hope is that I can eventually reproduce the crash and fix it.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject:

I've tried to follow your steps to re-create the crash in a spreadsheet, but so far to no avail, however I have found another problem, or three.

First, the font colour button is showing the current cell's font colour, not the last selected as it does in Writer. ie the background colour button works as per NeoOffice's new behaviour, the font colour button uses OpenOffice 3.3's behaviour.

Second, whilst the font and background colour menu items apply the last selected colour when chosen from the >> menu when the window is too narrow, the Borders item does nothing. This is how OpenOffice behaves, but is now inconsistent with the new NeoOffice colour button behaviour. This may count as a new feature request in it's own right.

Thirdly, also in the >> menu. When grid lines are off the icon displays next to Toggle Grid Lines for Current Sheet. When the grid lines are on, there is a tick next to the menu item, then a big gap where the icon should be before the menu text. It looks like there should be space for the tick the icon and the text. This function does not appear to exist in OpenOffice 3.3

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
First, the font colour button is showing the current cell's font colour, not the last selected as it does in Writer. ie the background colour button works as per NeoOffice's new behaviour, the font colour button uses OpenOffice 3.3's behaviour.

I can reproduce what you see in Calc's font color toolbar button. What you see also occurs in Impress as well so I will investigate and see if I can implement the same behavior that Writer now has.

amayze wrote:
Second, whilst the font and background colour menu items apply the last selected colour when chosen from the >> menu when the window is too narrow, the Borders item does nothing. This is how OpenOffice behaves, but is now inconsistent with the new NeoOffice colour button behaviour. This may count as a new feature request in it's own right.

The code that controls the Borders toolbar button is in the same source code file as the color toolbar buttons so after I fix the font color toolbar button, I'll see if I can use the same approach as the font color toolbar button to remember the last selected border value and apply that when the button is pressed.

amayze wrote:
Thirdly, also in the >> menu. When grid lines are off the icon displays next to Toggle Grid Lines for Current Sheet. When the grid lines are on, there is a tick next to the menu item, then a big gap where the icon should be before the menu text. It looks like there should be space for the tick the icon and the text. This function does not appear to exist in OpenOffice 3.3

I can reproduce this as well with Writer's bold, italic, etc. toolbar icons. What is odd is that in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 which NeoOffice 3.3 is based on, the icon never goes away and the checkbox never appears. This makes me think that the OpenOffice.org code is drawing the background color over the icon in NeoOffice and over the checkbox in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1.

I will investigate this strange drawing behavior but I will put this third item low in my priority queue since it is really a visual annoyance and does not cause any broken behavior.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:

I think that I have successfully implemented both of the above features in the following test patch.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the new features work for you?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Test-3-Intel.dmg

amayze wrote:

I now doubt that I will have the time to fix this OpenOffice.org drawing bug. At the time of my last post I thought that I was ahead of schedule on our App Sandbox implementation work, but then some .docx crashing bugs were reported and fixing those OpenOffice.org bugs quickly put me back behind schedule.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject:

I've installed Patch 5 Test 3 and all seems to behave as expected in a spreadsheet and in impress. Thanks for your work on this.

Of course now the Background Colour and Grid buttons remember the last used settings it would be nice if they were split like the Font Colour button, but I think that is probably a wish too far at the moment. Smile There are bigger fish to fry I'm sure.

I quite appreciate that your time is limited so the visual problem with the Display Grid item should quite rightly lose out to a crashing bug.

Thanks again.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Of course now the Background Colour and Grid buttons remember the last used settings it would be nice if they were split like the Font Colour button, but I think that is probably a wish too far at the moment. Smile There are bigger fish to fry I'm sure.

I implemented the above change in the following test patch. I only had to change the "dropdown type" setting (a single line code change) for the those 2 toolbar buttons.

Can anyone install the test patch and let us know if the new behavior for the background color and borders toolbar buttons seems more or less intuitive to you than the old behavior?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I implemented the above change in the following test patch. I only had to change the "dropdown type" setting (a single line code change) for the those 2 toolbar buttons.
Wow! I didn't expect that! Either that you'd have time to do it, or that something in the OpenOffice codebase would be simple to change! Thanks, Patrick.

I've installed Patch 5 Test 4 and it seems to work as described. Just a couple of observations:

1. In writer the Text Colour and Highlight Colour buttons have paint bucket modes which are entered by pressing the button with no text selected. If you enter paint bucket mode for Text Colour and then click the Highlight colour button, it releases the Text Colour button, and vice versa. Should pressing the Background Colour button also cancel Text or Highlight Colour paint bucket mode? It feels a bit odd that it doesn't to me. (NB. I am not asking for a Background Colour paint bucket mode!)

2. In Draw and Impress the last selected text colour is forgotten when leaving text mode.

3. Obviously it would be nice if the Borders icon in Calc reflected the last chosen setting, but that feels like it might be a lot more work, so probably counts as a new feature request.

Apart from that I think it all works well.

Thanks again.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
1. In writer the Text Colour and Highlight Colour buttons have paint bucket modes which are entered by pressing the button with no text selected. If you enter paint bucket mode for Text Colour and then click the Highlight colour button, it releases the Text Colour button, and vice versa. Should pressing the Background Colour button also cancel Text or Highlight Colour paint bucket mode? It feels a bit odd that it doesn't to me. (NB. I am not asking for a Background Colour paint bucket mode!)

This same behavior occurs without the code changes in the last test patch so I can confirm that it is not a new behavior and is normal behavior for NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code.

amayze wrote:
2. In Draw and Impress the last selected text colour is forgotten when leaving text mode.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is fixable as it appears that Draw and Impress destroy the toolbar and its buttons when you change modes and then create a brand new toolbar and buttons when you switch back into edit mode.

amayze wrote:
3. Obviously it would be nice if the Borders icon in Calc reflected the last chosen setting, but that feels like it might be a lot more work, so probably counts as a new feature request.

You are correct that it would be a lot of work. Currently there is no custom drawing code for the borders toolbar button and the generic OpenOffice.org toolbar button code is drawing the icon assigned to that button. AFAICT, the color buttons are doing the same and only "customize" the button by drawing a rectangle filled with the last selected color over the top of the icon assign to the toolbar button.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice New Feature Requests All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3