Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Accidental zoom triggers crash
Accidental zoom triggers crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Accidental zoom triggers crash

i have found from time to time a crash occurs without warning, and I am finding it hard to give exact steps to reproduce it. As far as I can tell Crash Reporter is not generating anything, but I am getting something in Console in User Diagnostic Reports.

As far as I can tell the crash happens when I have three or more documents open, some or all of which have unsaved material in them, and some of which will be Word documents opened from within emails. From time to time I accidentally trigger the command-two-finger zoom (as mentioned here by Lorinda). Usually it is a zoom one way, quickly corrected by zooming back again.

The document I am working on flashes up and down in size, the multicolour beach ball appears and spins for a couple of seconds and NeoOffice and all its windows disappear.

Typically NeoOffice will not then relaunch the first time I click it on the dock, a second click is required to persuade it to launch.

So far, there has only been one occasion on which I have suffered data loss, and that only minor. Most times the recovery process puts me back to where I was, even including unsaved changes.

I'm sorry not to be able to post an absolutely reliable way of triggering this crash, and I'm open to suggestions about what I might try in order to identify that. I realise that without a reliable way of generating the crash it may not be possible to identify what is causing it in order to try and fix it.

I attach the User Diagnostic report in case it is of help.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Accidental zoom triggers crash

James3359 wrote:
I'm sorry not to be able to post an absolutely reliable way of triggering this crash, and I'm open to suggestions about what I might try in order to identify that. I realise that without a reliable way of generating the crash it may not be possible to identify what is causing it in order to try and fix it.

The User Diagnostic report that you attached contains a crash report so I can see the what are of the code that crash is occurring in. While I can tell that the code is crashing in our NeoOffice custom code, the crash report does not show enough detail for me to locate the source of the crash.

If you tried doing the accidental zoom over and over several times, are you likely to get NeoOffice to crash at least once? If yes, let me know and what I can do is post a "debug" patch that will log a ton of messages to the Console application. I can then use those Console messages to narrow down where in our code the crash is actually occurring.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject:

Looking at Console, I have a number of these User Diagnostics which are, I think, associated with the crash. There was one yesterday, and before that a gap of ten or twelve days prior to which there was a rash of several crashes over a few days.

The short answer is that I think I am likely to generate a crash again, especially if I don't make an effort to avoid it (i.e. if I open lots of documents, do lots of editing and don't save frequently enough).

It is likely that I won't be using NO intensively for nearly a week from 31st March, so this may affect what priority you want to give to posting a test patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
The short answer is that I think I am likely to generate a crash again, especially if I don't make an effort to avoid it (i.e. if I open lots of documents, do lots of editing and don't save frequently enough).

I'll post a debug patch later today. One question before I do that: is your accidental zoom triggered when you have the Command key pressed? Or are you doing a "pinching" gesture? I ask before the answer might narrow down the area of code that this bug is occurring in.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry that I'm not completely sure. It is more likely, I think, that it is the pinch gesture - but I'm not sure Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject:

OK. Below is a debug patch:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Test-5-Debug-1-Intel.dmg

To capture the messages that this debug patch will generate, can you run NeoOffice using the following steps?:

1. Quit NeoOffice if it is running.

2. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, paste the following command into the Terminal window, and press the Return key. This will launch NeoOffice and cause the debug messages to be output to the Terminal window:

Code:
/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin

3. Run NeoOffice until you can get it to crash. If you quit NeoOffice before there is a crash, relaunch it in the Terminal using the previous step.

4. When NeoOffice crashes, take a screen snapshot of the Terminal window and attach the screen snapshot and the crash log or User Diagnostic report. The screen snapshot should look similar to the screen snapshot attached below. Note: you can take a screen snapshot by pressing the Command-Shift-4 keys and dragging the mouse around the window. When you release the mouse, a .png file will be created on your Desktop.

5. After you do step 4, reinstall the following non-debug test patch so that you won't flood the Console application with debug messages:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject:

OK, I've provoked the crash. It is a pinch gesture, I think, accidentally generated by my lazy thumbs trailing across the trackpad. I attach the Terminal Screenshot and the User Diagnostic Report log.

I hope this is of some help. Please let me know if I can do anuything else useful. In the meantime I am installing the non-debug patch.

Best wishes

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the output. I have updated a new debug test patch that will hopefully print out more messages and cause your next crash log to have more detail.

Can you install the following debug patch and repeat the same steps in my last post?:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Test-5-Debug-2-Intel.dmg

Like before, once you get a crash you can reinstall the regular test patch in step 5 in my last post.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject:

I've had a go, but can't seem to make it crash ATM. I need to do other things now, but will try and give it another go in the next couple of days.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I've had a go, but can't seem to make it crash ATM. I need to do other things now, but will try and give it another go in the next couple of days.

OK. The next time you try to force a crash, can you use the following debug patch? This debug patch has more messages than the last one had:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Test-5-Debug-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject:

I've had another go at trying to provoke a crash, and will do the same again in a minute. NO got into an odd state where one of the numerous windows that I had opened stayed the front and would neither minimise or close. Other windows that were partly visible behind it could be brought forward, in relation to each other, by clicking on them, but this window remained at the front. It would allow input and editing. I did follow the procedure used to get a sample if NeoOffice hangs (although it wasn't quite a classic hang as I could still perform some operations on the frontmost window). I will happily attach that if you think it is useful. But I'm a bit wary of adding what might be another different issue to the list.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject:

Go ahead and post the sample. Was the problem window a regular document window? Or was it a floating tool window or a dialog window?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject:

Sample posted.

It was a regular document window.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject:

Your sample shows that NeoOffice was starting a print job. That would explain why one document window was being pushed to the front and you could not close or minimize it.

Did you press the Print toolbar icon or select the File :: Print menu right before this behavior occured? If so, did you see the native print dialog attached to any of the other windows? Normally, the print dialog will be attached to the currently active window which may not be the document window that you are printing.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Did you press the Print toolbar icon or select the File :: Print menu right before this behavior occured? If so, did you see the native print dialog attached to any of the other windows? Normally, the print dialog will be attached to the currently active window which may not be the document window that you are printing.

One possibility is that Mac OS X is failing to display the native print dialog. I am not sure that I fix that, but if that sounds like what happened in your case, I can put some code in that checks if the native print dialog actually got displayed and, if not, I can fallback to displaying the dialog as a separate modal window.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6