· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Accidental zoom triggers crash
Accidental zoom triggers crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject:

I was hurrying to input unsaved material to try and provoke the crash along with pinch zooming the window. It's quite possible I inadvertently triggered a Print command. There was no native print window attached to the frontmost window, but I did have a lot of windows open.

For what it's worth my instinct is that the apparent hang may be something of a red herring.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject:

Since you have not reported any crashing with the last debug patch, I am hoping that the one change that I made in that debug patch fixes the crashing bug. What I changed was that I turned off the compiler's optimization of code. Compilers are sometimes able to take source code and make it a tiny bit faster. The problem is that the compiler does this by essentially changing the code slightly. Most of time this works, but occasionally the compiler's optimization introduces unexpected bugs.

So, in the following test patch, I disabled optimization by the compiler when compiling the source code files that the crash was occurring in. In addition, I added some checks to verify that the native print and page setup dialogs were actually displayed and, if they did not, to abort the print or page setup process.

Can you install the following test patch and run it normally (no Terminal launching needed) and see if you can get NeoOffice to crash? If NeoOffice still crashes, then go back to using the last debug patch from a Terminal window:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-5-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject:

I'm offline for a few days now, but wil reprt back as soon as I can.

James
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject:

I've given this a trial run now. I haven't been able to provoke a crash. All good wishes

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I've given this a trial run now. I haven't been able to provoke a crash. All good wishes

That is good news. Just to be safe, keep using the latest test patch (Patch 5 Test 6) in my last post and if you don't report any crashes by next Monday, I will release the fix in a NeoOffice official patch next Tuesday.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included fix for the crashing bug in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 6. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject:

I'm very sorry to be raising this again, but I'm still finding this behaviour occasionally recurring. I attach the latest log. I am fairly sure it is associated with trackpad zooming, but because it is an accidental behaviour, I am finding it hard to reliably reproduce it.

I'm currently running NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-6-Test-2-Intel.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject:

Your latest crash log is basically the same as the first crash log that you posted so my conclusion is that my fix only reduced the likelihood of the encountering whatever triggers this bug and did not fix the bug itself.

Unfortunately, like the first crash log, your latest crash log does not show enough detail for me to locate the source of the crash so I would like to go back to having you use a "debug" patch that prints out lots of status messages like you were using before.

I will post a "debug" patch later today.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject:

OK. Below is a debug patch. It is the Patch-6-Test-2 with my previous fix removed and printing of status messages added:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-6-Test-2-Debug-1-Intel.dmg

To capture the status messages that this debug patch will generate, can you run NeoOffice using the following steps?:

1. Quit NeoOffice if it is running.

2. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, paste the following command into the Terminal window, and press the Return key. This will launch NeoOffice and cause the debug messages to be output to the Terminal window:

Code:
/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin

3. Run NeoOffice until you can get it to crash. If you quit NeoOffice before there is a crash, relaunch it in the Terminal using the previous step.

4. When NeoOffice crashes, take a screen snapshot of the Terminal window and attach the screen snapshot and the crash log or User Diagnostic report. The screen snapshot should look similar to the screen snapshot attached below. Note: you can take a screen snapshot by pressing the Command-Shift-4 keys and dragging the mouse around the window. When you release the mouse, a .png file will be created on your Desktop.

5. After you do step 4, reinstall the following non-debug test patch so that you won't flood the Console application with debug messages:

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-6-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject:

OK I've installed the debug patch and created an Automator app to launch Terminal and then use it to run NO, that way I can put it on the dock and just launch it with a mouse-click in the usual way. I'll let you know when there is something else to report.

Presumably I only need to reinstall the non-debug patch once I've managed to provoke the crash, it's only while I am running NO that the Console will be flooded with debug messages.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
Presumably I only need to reinstall the non-debug patch once I've managed to provoke the crash, it's only while I am running NO that the Console will be flooded with debug messages.

Yes. You are correct about reinstalling the last non-debug test patch. Also, with the debug patch, the Console only gets flooded if you are not running NeoOffice from a Terminal. If you run it from the Terminal, all of the messages go to the Terminal window instead of the Console.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

The crash just happened again. I attach screenshot of the Terminal window and a user diagnostic report. Hope this helps.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the output and the crash log. Using both pieces of data, I think that I have narrowed down the location of the crash so I have added some new status messages in the following debug patch.

Can you install the following debug patch and post the Terminal window output and crash log when the encounter the crash again?

Intel:
http://juliette.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3-Patch-6-Test-2-Debug-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject:

OK, I have installed the latest debug patch, and will report further when the next crash happens.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject:

The crash has occurred again. I attach a screenshot and log as before.

All good wishes

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6