· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Accidental zoom triggers crash
Accidental zoom triggers crash

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject:

OK I'll put this code into the workflow I've been using to launch NO, and report back when something happens.
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject:

No crash yet. But very slow to quit just now. I attach a snapshot of the Terminal window
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I am curious if the "CoreAnimation: warning..." message might be related to the latest crash that you found. Since the message gives us an option to log a stack trace, can you run NeoOffice in a Terminal window with the following new command? Note: the following command is one single line:

Code:
export CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=1 ; export NSZombieEnabled=YES ; /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject:

OK. I've put that line in my NeoOffice via Terminal launch workflow, and will report back. Am I looking again for something that will be printed to the Terminal window?

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
OK. I've put that line in my NeoOffice via Terminal launch workflow, and will report back. Am I looking again for something that will be printed to the Terminal window?

Yes, the output will go to the Terminal window. Also note that the output may actually be more lines than can fit in a single window so if that happens, can you take a snapshot of the Terminal window and then scroll backward one page in the Terminal window and take a snapshot of that?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject:

One more thing: I may be wrong, but I have this gut feeling that the iMedia Browser may be the source of your latest crash. If you have used it in the past, can you open the iMedia Browser window using the Tools :: Add-ons :: Show Media Browser menu and keep that window open while running NeoOffice?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject:

No crash yet, but I've had a lot of time away from the computer the last couple of days. Another laggy shut down last night though, and I attach a screenshot from terminal which had a number of messages.

I don't use the iMedia Browser much; in fact so little it took me a few minutes to find it, but I'm happy to open the iMedia Browser window and keep it open.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the Terminal screen snapshot. The screen snapshot indicates that Mac OS X's "versions browser" is generating the "CoreAnimation: warning..." messages so I think it is safe to conclude that the iMedia Browser is not the cause of the crashing and you don't need to keep it open.

You can also ignore the "CoreAnimation: warning..." messages and go back to using the following command since those message are occurring in Mac OS X's versions browser code and not our code:

Quote:
export NSZombieEnabled=YES ; /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin

Note: the slow quitting is likely from having the NSZombieEnabled environment set.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject:

OK. Am back to the Terminal line you have suggested. Thanks for the advice about the slow quitting, and also about the CoreAnimation warnings.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included fix for the crashing bug originally reported in this forum topic in NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 7. The patch can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

The cause of the second crashing bug is still unknown so if you continue using the Terminal command, we will get some more information when that crash occurs again.

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject:

I've been away this week, and have just got back to using the laptop again today. I attach a Terminal screenshot, and a User Diagnostic Log following the latest crash.

All good wishes

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the Terminal output and crash log. The Terminal output indicates that NeoOffice is running out of memory. That is what the "malloc...failed" Terminal messages mean.

At any one moment, NeoOffice gets a maximum of roughly 4.3 GB of memory. That is a lot of memory so if memory allocations fail, NeoOffice is using a lot of memory at one time.

What I see from the crash log is that you were pasting data from the Mac OS X clipboard. Can you remember what you were pasting and what type of document you were pasting into?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject:

IIRC, I had just copied two rows of about 30 cells in an .ods spreadsheet from one sheet to another. Alternatively it is possible that I was copying data from my online bank statement (viewed in Safari) into the spreadsheet. I think at the point of the crash, the Safari window briefly popped into view before NeoOffice switched to the front again, then there was a pause, a brief reappearance of the NeoOffice spreadsheet I had been working on, the spinning beachball and then a crash.

4.3 GB is the sort of size one might get from major image manipulation or something. I find it almost incredible to believe that any of the operations I have done this afternoon could have exceeded the 4.3 GB memory allowance, unless there is some cumulative process with memory not being released or something. (But this user's guess is not even worth the paper it is(n't) printed on!)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
4.3 GB is the sort of size one might get from major image manipulation or something. I find it almost incredible to believe that any of the operations I have done this afternoon could have exceeded the 4.3 GB memory allowance, unless there is some cumulative process with memory not being released or something. (But this user's guess is not even worth the paper it is(n't) printed on!)

I agree that this is likely a cumulative process since that memory sizes in the "malloc...failed" messages are only a few MBs each. Given that, one of the following 2 causes are worth looking at:

1. Disk space - Mac OS X uses unused disk as virtual memory when there is not enough actual RAM in your machine for the amount of memory need by Mac OS X and all running applications. When unused disk gets very limited, Mac OS X and/or applications can get unstable. To see if disk space is a possible cause, can you execute the following command in a Terminal window and paste the output in your reply post?:

Code:
df -k

2. Memory leaks - If the NeoOffice code its underlying OpenOffice.org allocates memory but never releases it, NeoOffice will eventually hit the 4.3 GB limit and crash. To see if there is a memory leak, after you launch NeoOffice, can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor application, double click on the NeoOffice entry in the process list, and in the dialog that appears, click on the Memory tab.

Keep this dialog open while using NeoOffice and periodically check to see if there are any large increases in real or virtual memory after opening or saving a document. If closing such document does not cause either to drop back to near where it was before the increase, can you attach that document to your reply post?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject:

Here's the output from df -k:
Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity iused ifree %iused Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 487546976 95816460 391474516 20% 24018113 97868629 20% /
devfs 181 181 0 100% 628 0 100% /dev
map -hosts 0 0 0 100% 0 0 100% /net
map auto_home 0 0 0 100% 0 0 100% /home
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next