Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Odd behaviour after installing NO 2013 Beta over NOSE
Odd behaviour after installing NO 2013 Beta over NOSE

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Odd behaviour after installing NO 2013 Beta over NOSE

I had an earlier beta of NeoOffice Secure Edition in my Applications folder. I then installed the latest NeoOffice 2013 Beta via the link on the wiki and installed the latest test patch (Test Cool over that.

The app remained named as NeoOffice Secure Edition. On opening it no window was opened and only the NeoOffice menu was present. I checked the NeoOffice::Open on Launch menu and it was set to Writer.

I changed the setting to Calc and quit and relaunched NeoOffice. It crashed on launch with the attached crash log. Repeated attempts to launch produced the same crash.

I deleted NeoOffice SE and reinstalled the latest Beta and Test 8. These went in to a new NeoOffice folder as you have explained and the crashing problem went away.

I realise this is probably not a real problem as when it is released it is unlikely that users will have NeoOffice SE on there machines, but include it here for completeness.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Odd behaviour after installing NO 2013 Beta over NOSE

amayze wrote:
The app remained named as NeoOffice Secure Edition. On opening it no window was opened and only the NeoOffice menu was present. I checked the NeoOffice::Open on Launch menu and it was set to Writer.

The configuration of the NeoOffice 2013 Beta installer is slightly different from the configuration used for NeoOffice 3.3 in order to comply with Apple's Mac App Store submission requirements. What you are seeing is the effect of the NeoOffice 2013 Beta installer has the "find and upgrade any existing installation" setting. Since the NeoOffice 2013 Beta and older NeoOffice Secure Edition products use the same "application ID", so your NeoOffice Secure Edition gets overwritten with the NeoOffice 2013 Beta files.

amayze wrote:
I changed the setting to Calc and quit and relaunched NeoOffice. It crashed on launch with the attached crash log. Repeated attempts to launch produced the same crash.

I deleted NeoOffice SE and reinstalled the latest Beta and Test 8. These went in to a new NeoOffice folder as you have explained and the crashing problem went away.

Your crash log appears to indicate that NeoOffice 2013 Beta was unable to read or write to the its user preferences folder. Specifically, the crash was occurring when NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code was trying to read your OpenOffice.org script preferences.

I am curious if it is related to the aforementioned "find and upgrade any existing installation" setting. Would it be possible for you to rename your NeoOffice 2013 Beta installation and then reinstall NeoOffice 2013 Beta plus its patch? If no crashes occur, then at least we will know that it is safe to move and upgrade NeoOffice 2013 Beta and maybe the product name change (which shouldn't happen again) is the cause.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject:

OK. I did the following:

1. Rename NeoOffice in the /Applications/NeoOffice folder to "NeoOffice Secure Edition"
2. Move "NeoOffice Secure Edition" to the /Applications folder
3. Delete the /Applications/NeoOffice Folder
4. Open NeoOffice Secure Edition and confirm that it correctly follows the NeoOffice::Open on Launch preference setting.
5. Install the latest version of NeoOffice 2013 available via the Wiki link
6. Install NeoOffice 2013 Beta Test 8
7. Launch "NeoOffice Secure Edition"
8. Observe that no blank document opens
9. Change the setting of NeoOffice::Open on Launch to 'Calc'
10. Quit and re-launch "NeoOffice Secure Edition"
11. Observe splash screen and progress bar, then a crash (log attached)
12. Install NeoOffice 2013 Beta Test 10.
13. See 11!

I attach the crash report from the crash in step 11 above. Even to my very out of practise eye it looks remarkably similar to the previous crash!

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the steps. Unfortunately, I could not reproduce the crash but I did notice a few details in your steps that may be causing the crashing for you:

amayze wrote:
2. Move "NeoOffice Secure Edition" to the /Applications folder
3. Delete the /Applications/NeoOffice Folder

Did you actually copy "NeoOffice Secure Edition" instead of moving it? What I found was when I tried to move it to /Applications, the Finder wanted to copy it instead of move it so I moved it using the "sudo mv" command in the Terminal.

If you actually copied it, then maybe I should look at the installer configuration and see if I can change anything so that the installation is movable in cases like yours where the /Applications/NeoOffice folder is created (that occurs only when you have NeoOffice 3.3 or earlier already installed in /Applications/NeoOffice.app).

amayze wrote:
8. Observe that no blank document opens

I believe that at this point, your NeoOffice 2013 user preferences are unreadable which makes me wonder if the sandbox is preventing NeoOffice 2013 from reading any existing NeoOffice Secure Edition user preference files.

I have routinely had to delete my user preference files to test the sandbox file permission features so I cannot test this theory. But can you execute the following commands in a Terminal and post the output?:

Code:
ls -l ~/Library/Containers
ls -l ~/Library/Containers/org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition
ls -l ~/Library/Containers/org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition/Data/Library/Preferences

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Did you actually copy "NeoOffice Secure Edition" instead of moving it? What I found was when I tried to move it to /Applications, the Finder wanted to copy it instead of move it so I moved it using the "sudo mv" command in the Terminal.

You're right, I actually had to copy it and then deleted the original. But when I originally came across this problem I didn't move or copy NOSE, it was already in the Applications folder, and I checked that the copied version worked before I re-installed the Beta and the latest patches.

pluby wrote:
I have routinely had to delete my user preference files to test the sandbox file permission features so I cannot test this theory. But can you execute the following commands in a Terminal and post the output?:

Attached.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
You're right, I actually had to copy it and then deleted the original. But when I originally came across this problem I didn't move or copy NOSE, it was already in the Applications folder, and I checked that the copied version worked before I re-installed the Beta and the latest patches.

Your Terminal output looks the same as mine. Just to be safe, I will remove the installer configuration setting that causes NeoOffice 2013 to be installed in a new /Applications/NeoOffice folder. That might not solve the crashing that you see, but it will make the installation movable.

At this point, can you do the following steps? This will eliminate user preference files as the cause of the crashing:

1. Quit NeoOffice 2013 Beta

2. Delete your NeoOffice 2013 user preference files by executing the following command in a Terminal window:

Quote:
rm -Rf ~/Library/Containers/org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition/Data/Library/Preferences/NeoOfficeSecureEdition

3. Redo your steps for the crashing (you can skip Test-8 and go directly to Test-10).

Does the crash still occur after deleting your user preference files?

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Please ignore the steps in my last post. I have removed the installer configuration that creates a new /Applications/NeoOffice folder so instead of doing step 3, can you download NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2 from the link in this NeoWiki article and do the following steps?

1. Delete your NeoOffice 2013 user preference files by executing the following command in a Terminal window:

Quote:
rm -Rf ~/Library/Containers/org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition/Data/Library/Preferences/NeoOfficeSecureEdition

2. Run your existing NeoOffice 2013 Beta installation, set the NeoOffice :: Launch at Startup menu to Calc, and quit.

3. If not done already, rename your existing NeoOffice 2013 Beta installation to "NeoOffice Secure Edition" but leave in the /Applications folder.

4. Install NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2

After installing NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2, does the crashing stop? If so, did NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2 honor your last NeoOffice :: Launch at Startup menu setting?

Please note that the NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2 installer should find and update your existing NeoOffice 2013 Beta installation. If you don't have NeoOffice 2013 Beta already installed, it will install in /Applications/NeoOffice.app and overwrite any regular NeoOffice installation there if you have not renamed it. So, if you have NeoOffice 3.3 installed, we recommend that you rename it before installing NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2.

NeoOffice Secure Edition testers: NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2 is incompatible with NeoOffice Secure Edition so if you have one of the NeoOffice Secure Edition versions installed, we recommend that you delete your NeoOffice Secure Edition user preference files by executing the following command in a Terminal window before installing NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2:

Quote:

Edit by pluby: added special steps for NeoOffice Secure Edition testers.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:08 am; edited 3 times in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject:

Please ignore my last post. I think that I have fixed the crashing bug that you have been seeing in NeoOffice 2013 Beta 3. To download NeoOffice 2013 Beta 2, use the download link in this NeoWiki article.

I found that the Mac OS X function that our code calls to obtain read/write access to a the file was failing and, as a result, was corrupting the native NeoOffice 2013 user preferences that the NeoOffice :: Launch at Startup menu uses.

Also, I really was not happy with the installer configuration settings that I changed in the Beta 2 installer as it makes it likely that an existing NeoOffice 3.3 installation will get overwritten. So, in Beta 3, I set the installer configuration settings similar to those used in the first Beta and so in NeoOffice 2013 Beta 3, the installer should behave as follows:

1. If you have NeoOffice 3.3 or earlier installed as NeoOffice in the Applicadtions folder, your existing installation will not be overwritten. Instead, the installer will install NeoOffice 2013 Beta in a new NeoOffice folder in the Applications folder.

2. If you have any of NeoOffice 2013 or NeoOffice Secure Edition releases installed, the NeoOffice 2013 Beta installer will upgrade your existing NeoOffice 2013 or NeoOffice Secure Edition installation wherever it is already installed.

Can you install NeoOffice 2013 Beta 3 and tell us if either the crashing or the overwriting of your NeoOffice 3.3 installation still occur for you?

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 2013 Beta 3.

It did not overwrite my installation of NeoOffice 3.3 Patch 7.
It updated "NeoOffice Secure Edition" which was a renamed version of NeoOffice 2013 Beta 1.
The crash on launch occurred again, but I followed your instructions for deleting the preferences file and it fixed the problem. Changing the NeoOffice::Launch at Startup option and restarting NeoOffice no longer causes the crash to come back.

One note, on your instructions for deleting the preferences file, which may help others:
If you're not logged in as an user with admin privileges it is not possible to use "sudo". First it is necessary to "su" into an admin account.

Thanks

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
One note, on your instructions for deleting the preferences file, which may help others:
If you're not logged in as an user with admin privileges it is not possible to use "sudo". First it is necessary to "su" into an admin account.

Good point about the "sudo" command.

The good news is that a don't think "sudo" or "su" are needed. At one time it was needed (at least on my machines) but now I have found that the following Terminal command will delete all of the NeoOffice 2013 preference files:

Quote:

I will update the command in my original post to remove the "sudo" command since it is no longer needed.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice from the Mac App store and am having the above problem again.

My copy of NeoOffice Secure Edition Beta 3 still works fine, but the new NeoOffice from the App Store (in /Applications/NeoOffice.localized/NeoOffice displays the crashing problem when the Open at Startup selection is changed. I've installed NeoOffice 2013 Test 1.

Using the above terminal command doesn't seem to have any effect.

I attach a crash log.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject:

Your latest crash log shows the same problem as before: NeoOffice 2013 cannot read its own preference files.

Can you execute the following Terminal commands and try relaunching NeoOffice 2013? The first command is new and the second is the same command that you tried before:

Code:
defaults delete org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition

Does NeoOffice 2013 still not launch? If so, can you execute the following command, reboot your machine, and try launching NeoOffice 2013?:

Code:
defaults delete org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition
rm -Rf ~/Library/Containers/org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject:

Tried the first set of commands. Crashing stops, but NeoOffice does not open a Writer document on launch and starts to crash again if the setting is changed to Calc.

Tried the second set of commands with reboot. Again, fixes the crash but no Writer document. I changed the setting to -Nothing- and re-started NeoOffice. It didn't crash and drew a full menu bar.
I then changed it to Calc and the crash reoccurred.

I attach another crash log (from the crash after the reboot), though I suspect it will be identical to the last one.

I renamed my NeoOffice 3.3 install and copied /Applications/NeoOffice.localized/NeoOffice to /Applications/NeoOffice. It now launches correctly. The copy in the NeoOffice.localized folder still crashes.

Must dash,

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
I renamed my NeoOffice 3.3 install and copied /Applications/NeoOffice.localized/NeoOffice to /Applications/NeoOffice. It now launches correctly. The copy in the NeoOffice.localized folder still crashes.

I suspect that your machine still has something leftover from one of the NeoOffice 2013 Beta builds when I was experimenting with installer configuration.

So, when you have time, can you do the following steps? These steps should completely remove any leftover files from past NeoOffice 2013 Beta and cause a clean reinstallation of NeoOffice 2013:

1. Delete both the copied NeoOffice 2013 application and the entire NeoOffice.localized folder

2. Execute the following Terminal commands to remove NeoOffice 2013 from Mac OS X's installed application registry:

Code:
sudo pkgutil --forget org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition
sudo pkgutil --forget org.neooffice.NeoOfficeSecureEdition_patch.pkg

3. Rename your NeoOffice 3.3 installation back to "NeoOffice.app" so that the NeoOffice 2013 will reinstall in a new NeoOffice.localized folder.

4. Reinstall NeoOffice 2013 by launching the App Store application, searching for NeoOffice, and pressing the "Install" button. If you see a price instead of an "Install" button, then make sure that you are logged by selecting the Store :: Sign In menu.

After doing the above, does launching NeoOffice 2013 from within the NeoOffice.localized folder now work?

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject:

I followed the steps you gave and it seems to have fixed the problem. NeoOffice 2013 now launches correctly from the NeoOffice.localized folder. It even picked up the Open at Launch setting from my last crash test, as I hadn't re-done the command to delete the preferences folder.

Thanks for your help Patrick.

Yours,

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1