Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Silent crash when editing Table View in NeoOffice Base
Silent crash when editing Table View in NeoOffice Base

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Silent crash when editing Table View in NeoOffice Base

I am getting a repeatable silent crash with the following steps using NO Base as the front end for a MySQL database:
Steps
  1. Open the .odb document.
  2. Click on 'Tables' and enter password to log in to the SQL database
  3. Ctrl click a saved view and choose 'Edit' from the contextual menu
  4. Blank table design window opens
  5. Click Index Design button to open Indexes window
  6. Click 'Close' button to close
  7. Click OS X native 'close' button on table design window
  8. Ctrl click the same saved view again and choose 'Edit' from the contextual menu again.
  9. NeoOffice quits silently
  10. First click on dock icon to relaunch produces a single bounce.
  11. Second click relaunches NO with recovery window.

I attach a crash log

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject:

Just wanted to add that the crash also occurs without steps 5 and 6 above.
OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Silent crash when editing Table View in NeoOffice Base

James3359 wrote:
[*]Click on 'Tables' and enter password to log in to the SQL database
[*]Ctrl click a saved view and choose 'Edit' from the contextual menu

So how can I replicate your data? Can you reproduce this crash in a local database that you can attach or does it only occur in a MySQL database?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject:

The problem doesn't occur in a local database with the same data (I'm trying to transfer to MySQL). It only occurs in the MySQL database (on localhost). I have just tried creating another MySQL database, and can't repeat the crash with different data, so it maybe something specific about that particular data in MySQL. Because it is not throwing any error message, I don't really know how to test that. The data is personal, but not confidential in any way - if that's any help.

If the issue is likely to be/possibly about the connection between NO Base and my localhost MySQL setup, then I think we won't be able to track it down.

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
If the issue is likely to be/possibly about the connection between NO Base and my localhost MySQL setup, then I think we won't be able to track it down.

My first guess is that certain MySQL data types are what trigger the crash.

Can you post a copy of your.odb file. I know it won't have any data, but it may narrow down what the possibilities of what to investigate.

Also, if you are familiar with MySQL's SQL syntax, can you post the schema for the view that causes the crash and any tables that the view uses? This would help me identify which MySQL data types are used in each column of the view.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject:

In addition to the above data, can you install the following debug patch and, if you can, force the crashing bug to occur? If you can get the crashing bug to occur with the following test patch, can you post a new crash log.

The following debug patch does not contain any fixes, but it does contain some of the NeoOffice recompiled in debug mode so that hopefully your next crash will reveal the exact location of the crash in the OpenOffice.org source code:

NeoOffice 3.4:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4-Patch-0-Test-5-Debug-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug. Although I cannot reproduce it with my local MySQL database, I was able eventually use your crash log to find that line of source code where the crash is occurring.

To fix the bug, I added code to check if the query for table's column data failed. If it fails, a crash will occur so I abort the loading of the table. This is not an ideal fix as it will cause no fields to be displayed in the Table Design window, but at least it will prevent an unloadable table from crashing NeoOffice.

The fix is in the following test patches. If you still have the old database that around that triggered the crash, can you tell us if the crashing is fixed for you?:

NeoOffice 3.4:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4-Patch-0-Test-7-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 2013.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2013.1-Test-8-Intel.dmg

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry that for reasons both personal and professional I've not been able to attend to this until now. I attach the crash log following the install of the Debug patch.

I have also installed NeoOffice-3.4-Patch-0-Test-7, and can confirm that the crash no longer occurs.

Once again, I'm sorry not to have been able to deal with this sooner.

James

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
I have also installed NeoOffice-3.4-Patch-0-Test-7, and can confirm that the crash no longer occurs.

That is excellent news.

BTW, the lack of a crash log from the debug patch didn't slow down my debugging work. For this bug, I found that I could use a different approach for finding the cause of the crash. This approach, which I have been using to troubleshoot NeoOffice 2013.1 crash logs submitted to Apple, replaces the tedious trial and error a series of building debug patches and having you post new crash logs.

This approach cannot be used for all crash logs, but it works very well for crash logs like yours where the "Exception Codes:" line in the crash log is "KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000". When I can use this approach, I can find the line of OpenOffice.org source code without actually having to reproduce the bug.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 3.4.1 which can be downloaded from the NeoOffice download page.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 2013.2 which is available in Apple's Mac App Store.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject:

One question: are you using MySQL's JDBC driver? Or are you using their ODBC driver?

I ask this because JDBC is not available in the Mac App Store versions of NeoOffice due to Apple's security requirements. Also, my gut feeling is that Apple will eventually stop providing Java for Mac OS X so at some point, NeoOffice 3.4.1 might not be able to use JDBC either.

If you are using MySQL's ODBC driver, have you encountered any problems?

Patrick
James3359
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject:

I was using the JDBC driver, but in the end I moved away from this solution because I wanted to use the same data on my iPhone as well as my laptop*. So although I launched the database to answer the question you raised, I am no longer using it on a regular basis.

(*Using a mySQL database was an attempt to find a standard form database that might have good clients both on Mac an iOS. Bento looked like a very good solution, but that was pulled by Filemaker - fortunately it was before I had finished trying the demo - and I'm now using HanDBase which isn't pretty on OSX, but has well functioning clients there and on iOS)

OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject:

James3359 wrote:
(*Using a mySQL database was an attempt to find a standard form database that might have good clients both on Mac an iOS. Bento looked like a very good solution, but that was pulled by Filemaker - fortunately it was before I had finished trying the demo - and I'm now using HanDBase which isn't pretty on OSX, but has well functioning clients there and on iOS)

That is a very neat solution that you used. I also see that the HanDBase website says they have an ODBC driver so, in theory, NeoOffice Base and many third-party applications should be able to connect to your data if needed.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
That is a very neat solution that you used. I also see that the HanDBase website says they have an ODBC driver so, in theory, NeoOffice Base and many third-party applications should be able to connect to your data if needed.

Unfortunately it only seems to be available for Windows.

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2