· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Fixes for LibreOffice bugs #64006, #66021, and #69162
Fixes for LibreOffice bugs #64006, #66021, and #69162

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Fixes for LibreOffice bugs #64006, #66021, and #69162

Over the last week or so, narf searched the OpenOffice and LibreOffice bug tracking sites for crashing bugs and found 3 bugs that also crash NeoOffice:

LibreOffice bug #64006
LibreOffice bug #66021
LibreOffice bug #69162

I have fixed all of these bugs in the following test patches. Fortunately, the fixes required only very minimal changes to NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice code:

NeoOffice 3.4.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4.1-Patch-0-Test-4-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 2013.2:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2013.2-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject:

I've confirmed that all three bugs existed in NeoOffice 3.4.1 and having installed Test-4 can confirm that they are fixed.

The svg renders incorrectly, however I don't imagine that within your scope to fix!

Thanks,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
The svg renders incorrectly, however I don't imagine that within your scope to fix!

Unfortunately, you are correct: fixing the OpenOffice codes very bugging SVG image import code is too big a project for me to take on at this time.

I did look at whether of not backporting code from a newer version of OpenOffice or LibreOffice would be feasible, but I found that LibreOffice has the same gradient problems as NeoOffice. OpenOffice is better, but it still has gradient problems.

From what I have found, only Safari appears to render SVG images accurately (Apple's Preview application won't even open SVG images). So if users need to import an SVG image into NeoOffice, OpenOffice, or LibreOffice and the imported image doesn't render correctly, I would recommend the following workaround:

1. Open the SVG image in Safari

2. Press the Command-Shift-4 keys and then drag your mouse to draw a rectangle around the image in Safari

3. When you release the mouse button, a new PNG file will be created on your Desktop that you can import into NeoOffice, OpenOffice, or LibreOffice

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Which is odd, because you'd think that Apple would have good support for pixel density-independent formats.

Thanks for the workaround Smile.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Related to the still-after-all-these-years poor SVG support in OOo/LO that came at the tail end of this thread, I saw today a posting about a new free (but 10.9-only) app that uses WebKit (Safari)'s SVG support to render SVGs and also exports to PDF, TIFF, and PNG: http://gapplin.wolfrosch.com/

I don't know how the OOo PDF import is these days (maybe it's no better than the SVG support), nor how well that app exports SVG to PDF, but possibly one could export SVG to PDF using that app and import the PDF into NeoOffice with better results. Although in that case, perhaps just printing (to PDF) the SVG from inside Safari might accomplish the same thing?

That said, OOo's preferred and best-supported vector graphics exchange format (besides Draw's native format Razz) remains, more than a decade later, Windows Metafile (WMF).

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
...Although in that case, perhaps just printing (to PDF) the SVG from inside Safari might accomplish the same thing?

Very good idea. But sadly even on Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, the resulting PDF has serious rendering problems when opened in any PDF viewer. So I think we can probably conclude that Safari's WebKit engine is good at rendering SVG to the screen, but very poor at saving as PDF.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for these 3 bugs in NeoOffice 3.4.1 Patch 1 which can be downloaded from the NeoOffice patch download page.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have included the fix for this bug in NeoOffice 2013.3 which is available in Apple's Mac App Store.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1