Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - How many NeoOffice/J users are out there?
How many NeoOffice/J users are out there?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: How many NeoOffice/J users are out there?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how big this community is actually getting. I've seen a lot of people writing in on the bug 209 testing and there are currently 465 users at Trinity.

But how many people have downloaded / are using NeoOffice/J? I suppose the number of users can be (roughly) computed from the number of Patch downloads. But is there any other method for measuring?

Ciao,
Oscar
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject:

That's an interesting question, but something it might be hard to determine.

Trinity members include lots of folks who are/were part of the OOo and Neo/C efforts as well as users of OOo who've registered to ask a question or two. Certainly the bulk of active users are Neo/J folks, but.... There are lots of users who probably never visit here or Bugzilla, either--there are some bugs, yes, but if you've avoided the Alphas, you may never run into one in general use Smile Patrick and Ed are amazing (and the Sun team are good, too, aside from their managment practices and some of their UI decisions Smile)

The patch download idea is a good one, particularly since Patrick implemented the auto-update, but I imagine a large number of users are shying away from the Alphas (either sticking with 0.8.4 for existing users, or waiting for Beta or "release" for new folks pointed here by the "press"--Google "NeoOffice/J" and you'll find a surprisingly large amount of blog coverage, as well as some FUD on OOo-related lists by the usual suspects Sad).

Even counting downloads probably doesn't catch organization-wide installations (like Ray, who's rolled Neo/J out at the World Scout Bureau; I assume he downloads once and pushes it over his local network, perhaps even for the patches, or the one poster who wanted to make a donation because Neo/J saved his/her org a six-figure sum, iirc).

Anyway, I think a count of beta downloads (assuming we can get that from all the mirrors and there aren't any torrents involved) and/or the first post-beta patch can get us a reasonable count, organizations aside. It won't rival Office:Mac installs, or probably even OOo-Mac installs (though I'd like to be proven wrong on this one Smile), but I imagine it will be a substantial number Smile

OK, back to decorating Smile (and then to icon-making)
Smokey
foxcorner
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
OK, back to decorating Smile (and then to icon-making)Smokey

...which are one and the same thing, surely? Wink

Dan
C K Yap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Here's one...

One satisfied new user here in sunny tropical Malaysia.

Good job and congratulations to the dev. team!

- c k yap
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Even counting downloads probably doesn't catch organization-wide installations (like Ray, who's rolled Neo/J out at the World Scout Bureau; I assume he downloads once and pushes it over his local network, perhaps even for the patches...

Smokey

Guilty as charged. My single download of either Neo/J or a patch currently probably equates to between 20 and 30 installations, on average. This will rise to nearer 50 as we begin to roll-out in our six regional offices in the year ahead, I expect as they'll take their copies from our intranet. Then there are the friends who have been persuaded to try it out on their home Macs and they are generally getting their .dmg copy from me.

Ray
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1