Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Inverted "Edited" in window header
Inverted "Edited" in window header

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Inverted "Edited" in window header

I'm afraid I've no idea how to reproduce this. I noticed it after my wife had been using the computer to write a letter and when I went to proof read it I saw that the word "Edited" that appears after the document name in the window header was upside down!

Clicking on it to open the little drop down menu didn't fix it, nor did re-sizing the window. I opened a new document, but its edited menu was the right way up after I'd saved it and changed it.

This is all on a MacBook Pro 15" with NeoOffice 3.4.1 Patch 9 and Mac OS X 10.10.1

Sorry there are no steps to reproduce. I'll keep an eye out for it happening again and see if I can work it out.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject:

NeoOffice does not actually draw the "Edited" header text. Instead, OS X draws that text as well as the red, green, and yellow buttons in the titlebar so I suspect that this is an OS X 10.10 bug.

Since you are using NeoOffice 3.4.1, I am curious if this OS X bug appears in NeoOffice 2014.5. I have noticed some OS X 10.10 bugs that only appear in 32 bit applications and not in 64 bit applications. For example, I have found some bugs in OS X's QuickTime functions that occur in a 32 bit application but that don't occur in a 64 bit application.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject:

OK. I'll see if I can work out what triggers it in NeoOffice 3.4.1 and then try to do the same in NeoOffice 2014.5. I'll let you know what I find.

Andy
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I just had this happen today, too. Also Neo 3.4.1. Not sure what I did other than edit an existing file. If I figure out how to reproduce, I'll let you know.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject:

The next time that it happens, can you tell us if any of the following corrects the titlebar text?:

- Switch to another application that has a window that blocks the NeoOffice window and then switch back to NeoOffice

- Minimize and then unminimize the NeoOffice window

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject:

I forgot to mention that I have one question: does this only happen when "Edited" first shows in the titlebar? Or is the "Edited" text there and eventually flips upside down?

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

I haven't been using NeoOffice much this week, but I'll keep an eye out when I am and bear the above in mind.

Thanks,

Andy
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject:

I'll watch, too. I can tell you I had Edited right-side up and Edited Upside-down with the same document last night, but I don't remember in which order!
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject:

Happened again, this time in an xlsx file. Didn't happen right away. I came back to it after doing something else, and the Edited was inverted (there's also some reflection going on)

Changing apps and returning doesn't fix it
Minimizing and returning doesn't fix it

I decided to try saving it. It saved, but the title bar didn't change, and Neo hung. Sample attached.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the sample. From what I can see, when you took the sample NeoOffice was embedding OS X's fonts into the Quick Look PDF that are added to the .ods file when saving.

This makes me think that Yosemite may be having trouble with some of your fonts. Can you open the /Applications/Font Book application, select the Edit :: Select All menu, and then select the File :: Validate Fonts menu? Do any fonts not have a green checkmark after validating?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I have 5 "minor problems" all duplicates. Should I remove the duplicates?

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I have 5 "minor problems" all duplicates. Should I remove the duplicates?

You can either remove them or disable them in the main Font Book application window. After either, can you relaunch NeoOffice and see if the flipped titlebar text and/or hanging occurs again?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Well, I don't get any "Edited" notation at all, even when I edit it.

I tried saving it, since I thought that might be related to the fact that the file was a recovered one. But it hung at the end of the save again. New sample attached.

This particular file originated with a Chinese speaker as an xlsx file, and at least some of the cells were set to a font with a Chinese name (although all the text was in English). I'm attempting to save as ods when it saves. One such save was apparently successful, as I have an ods file with that name saved, but the recovered file shows up as xlsx.

Edit: correct xlss to xlsx.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I tried saving it, since I thought that might be related to the fact that the file was a recovered one. But it hung at the end of the save again. New sample attached.

Your latest sample is hanging in the same place: when embedding native fonts into a PDF. Also, the fact that the "Edited" text no longer appears after disabling some fonts strongly suggests that Yosemite is not handling fonts well.

Does this same "Edited" text and hanging problems occur in NeoOffice 2014.5? I ask because NeoOffice 2014.5 is a 64 bit application and I would like to know if these problems affect only 32 bit applications only.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I can't produce either the hang or the inverted Edited in NeoOffice 2014.5 at the moment.

Given that the inverted Edited thing is intermittent even in NeoOffice 3.4.1, I can't guarantee it isn't there. I've swapped out the Neo icons on my Dock, So I'll use 2014.5 regularly for the next little bit on this computer (Miles) and see what happens.

I don't have a way to fully reproduce the hang test case in 2014.5. Since the problem file won't save, I don't have a way to test it. The best I could do was test a much earlier version, which didn't create problems.

I'm guessing there's some corruption in that particular file. I've copied and pasted the data (without formatting) into a new ods file, and that saved just fine.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2