Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Full screen window shrinks on app switch
Full screen window shrinks on app switch

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Full screen window shrinks on app switch

If NeoOffice is used in full screen mode, when switching apps using Cmd-TAB, the NeoOffice window is reduced by the height of the menu bar after it slides back in to position.

To reproduce:
1. Open NoeOffice
2. Create a new document
3. Switch to full screen mode by clicking the green dot in window title
4. Use Cmd-Tab to switch to another application
5. Observe that the NeoOffice screen slides out of the way
6. Use Cmd-Tab to switch back to NeoOffice
7. Observe that the NeoOffice screen slides back on to the screen, then shrinks by the height of the menu bar.

This occurs using NeoOffice 3.4.1 patch 10 test 3 and with NeoOffice 2014.5, I'll check it with 2014.6 test 3 as soon as I've got it downloaded!

Not a big problem, but a cosmetic glitch.

Hope all that's clear enough.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I can reproduce this bug as well. This bug appears to only occur on OS X 10.10 Yosemite. What I also noticed is that this bug occur when you move the mouse to the top of the screen and the menubar appears.

When I have a fix for this bug, I will post test patches for you to try.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed this bug. Can you install one of the following test patches and tell us if the bug is fixed for you?:

NeoOffice 2014.6:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6-Test-4-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 2014.6 Free Edition:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6_Free_Edition-Test-4-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.4.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4.1-Patch-10-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.4.1 Patch 10 Test 4 and the full screen mode problem is fixed in both.

Whilst looking at how full screen mode works in other applications I notice when creating a new window in Pages and Safari with Cmd-N it is also opened in full screen mode. In NeoOffice a new window opens in front of the full screen window. It seems to belong to the full screen pane as Cmd-~ will switch between the two (fullscreen and not windows), but is not shown on the normal desktop. But if it too is made full screen and then restored to normal mode it returns to the non-fullscreen desktop along with all other non-fullscreen windows.

Whilst I don't have Apple's guidelines to hand it strikes me that a new window, opened from full screen mode, should either open in fullscreen mode or open not-full screen above the desktop.

I hope my description is clear.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

I can reproduce what you see. I had not noticed before how the Command-Tab cycles only through the full screen window and any windows created after entering full screen mode and it skips any other windows created before entering full screen mode.

I will try to modify our code to force new document windows into full screen mode if the currently active window is in full screen mode.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the Command-Tab bug that occurs after creating a new document window when in full screen mode. I have fixed the bug by forrcing the new document window into full screen mode if the currently active window is in full screen mode.

Can you install one of the following test patches and tell us if this bug is fixed for you?:

NeoOffice 2014.6:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6-Test-5-Intel.dmg

http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6_Free_Edition-Test-5-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.4.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4.1-Patch-10-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

I found the following full screen mode bugs that were not fixed in my last test patch:

1. When a document is in full screen mode and a tool window (such as the Edit :: Navigator menu's window) is displayed, open a new document will fail to go into full screen mode

2. When more than one document is in full screen mode and a tool window is displayed, closing the current full screen document window will fail to display one of the full screen documents that are still open and, instead, the tool window will display over the desktop.

I have already fixed the first bug but I still need to find a way to fix the second bug. When I have a fix, I will post a new test patch.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed the two full screen bugs that I listed in my last post.

Can you install one of the following test patches and tell us if you still see any unexpected behavior when any windows are in full screen mode?:

NeoOffice 2014.6:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6-Test-6-Intel.dmg

http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6_Free_Edition-Test-6-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.4.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4.1-Patch-10-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick

I've installed the Test 6 patches.

In your case 1. the new window does indeed open in to full screen mode.

I couldn't reproduce your case 2. However with the latest patch when I close fullscreen windows when the Navigator is visible, NeoOffice appears to close the window but not the 'space' it was in, so I am left with a black screen.

Using 3 finger left and right swipes on my trackpad I can move to the Desktop and back to the black screen, and even to other fullscreen NeoOffice windows. Also with 3 finger swipe up I get Exposé showing the black screens with the NeoOffice icon over them.

I'm not aware of this happening before your latest patch.

Yours,

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Since my last test patch introduced the empty full screen background after closing a full screen window, I removed the changes in the last test patch and wrote new code to fix the two full screen bugs.

Can you install one of the following test patches and tell us if you still see any unexpected behavior when any windows are in full screen mode?:

NeoOffice 2014.6:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6-Test-7-Intel.dmg

http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6_Free_Edition-Test-7-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.4.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4.1-Patch-10-Test-7-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

That's much better. No more black screens. There are two issues though.

1. It is possible to put the Navigator window in to full screen mode, which doesn't really make sense.

2. In the following circumstances the NeoOffice window slides away, but rather than showing another open full screen window the Finder is slid in to view:

a. Open NeoOffice
b. Open the Navigator, View::Navigator
c. Put the blank Writer window in to full screen mode
d. Type Cmd-N twice
e. Type Cmd-W once
f. Click on the Navigator window so its window controls are coloured
g. Type Cmd-W once
h. Observe that the Finder slides in to view and the Navigator window appears over it.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
1. It is possible to put the Navigator window in to full screen mode, which doesn't really make sense.

Although it may look like the Navigator is in full screen mode, it is only zoomed so the floating tool windows are workign correctly. When zoomed, you can still see the titlebar and move or resize the window. In OS X 10.10 Yosemite, the green button is still the window zoom button like in previous OS X versions for floating tool windows. Only when the window has full screen support like in document windows does the green button now toggle the window into full screen mode.

amayze wrote:
2. In the following circumstances the NeoOffice window slides away, but rather than showing another open full screen window the Finder is slid in to view:

I think that I have fixed this bug in the following test patches.

What was happening was that OS X was dropping out of full screen mode even when a full screen window has focus. Apple gives not give applications much ability to control full screen mode but, fortunately, I was able to add code that detects when this happens. When it does happen, the following test patches will tell the currently active window to move to the front.

So, with my fix, when you close a full screen window and you see the desktop instead of the full screen window that has become the active window, you should now see NeoOffice move to the active full screen window after a moment.

NeoOffice 2014.6:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6-Test-8-Intel.dmg

http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2014.6_Free_Edition-Test-8-Intel.dmg

NeoOffice 3.4.1:
http://nick.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.4.1-Patch-10-Test-8-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
amayze wrote:

Although it may look like the Navigator is in full screen mode, it is only zoomed so the floating tool windows are workign correctly. When zoomed, you can still see the titlebar and move or resize the window.

Ok. I see. It's not very useful though! Is there a way to make it just zoom to fit the window contents, rather than fill the screen? (This is maybe more of a feature request than a bug report though! Also I have a feeling Apple may have forgotten what Zoom used to mean.)
pluby wrote:
amayze wrote:

I think that I have fixed this bug in the following test patches.

Yes, the Test 8 patches seem to have fixed all the problems I reported.
pluby wrote:
So, with my fix, when you close a full screen window and you see the desktop instead of the full screen window that has become the active window, you should now see NeoOffice move to the active full screen window after a moment.

I haven't seen this exact behaviour using my previous steps, but that's because it isn't displaying the Finder anymore, it's staying in NeoOffice and displaying one of it's fullscreen windows each time I close another one, which is even better.

The only slight visual glitch is that the Navigator Window appears over the black portion of the screen as another open full screen window is slid in to place when one is closed.

To describe better what I see:
1. Type Cmd-W
2. Navigator window fades out
3. Fullscreen window closes revealing another fullscreen window halfway across the screen and sliding to the right.
4. Navigator appears suddenly over black part of screen and slides out of view as fullscreen window slides in to place.
5. Navigator window fades in over fullscreen window now it is in place.

I think I might be splitting hairs now. So feel free to ignore the above.

Thanks

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Ok. I see. It's not very useful though! Is there a way to make it just zoom to fit the window contents, rather than fill the screen? (This is maybe more of a feature request than a bug report though! Also I have a feeling Apple may have forgotten what Zoom used to mean.)

I am not sure how to do what you propose but I'll do some investigating when we eventually stop finding new Yosemite bugs that need fixing.

amayze wrote:
I haven't seen this exact behaviour using my previous steps, but that's because it isn't displaying the Finder anymore, it's staying in NeoOffice and displaying one of it's fullscreen windows each time I close another one, which is even better.

Here are the steps that I used to test my new code's behavior:

1. Launch NeoOffice and open a single empty Writer window

2. Close all tool windows like the Navigator and then open a second, empty Writer window

3. Press the green titlebar button on the second Writer window and, once in full screen mode, open another empty Writer window in full screen mode

4. Select the first, non-full screen window in the Window menu. When the non-full screen window becomes active, close it using Command-W.

5. One of the full screen windows will become active. Close it using Command-W.

At this point, you should momentarily see the normal desktop background but then my code will catch that there is something wrong and the other full screen window should then become active.

amayze wrote:
The only slight visual glitch is that the Navigator Window appears over the black portion of the screen as another open full screen window is slid in to place when one is closed.

I see this too. This is a side effect of OS X's animation effects when moving between one full screen window to another full screen window. In reality, NeoOffice's windows don't move at all and there is actually only a single instance of each tool window.

From what I can see, OS X temporarily takes over screen drawing and moves a snapshot of the NeoOffice windows around to simulate a sliding effect. The ghost copy of the Navigator window that you see is likely due to the NeoOffice code momentarily closing and redisplaying itself when the active document window changes and OS X's sliding animation is grabbing screen snapshots at different moments during the simulation.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I am not sure how to do what you propose but I'll do some investigating when we eventually stop finding new Yosemite bugs that need fixing.

No problem!

pluby wrote:
Here are the steps that I used to test my new code's behavior:

Thanks. I can see what you describe now, and your solution seems quite elegant.

I'm really not a fan of full screen apps. It's what MS-DOS did on the PC in the 80s, and then the Mac came along and gave us windows we could move round the screen so we could see bits of two documents, or information from more than one application at a time. It seems such a backwards step and seems to have distracted Apple from the way elegant way its windowed interface used to work!

Thanks for looking at it though.

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2