Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Support for Mac OS 10.1.5?
Support for Mac OS 10.1.5?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Support for Mac OS 10.1.5?

Does the current 1.0.3 support OS 10.1.5? I currently can't afford to update to 10.2. According to the FAQs http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/pressfaq_ooo-osx11.html#q11

10.1 binaries should be available, but where are they? Which download files work on 10.1? "ooo103darwingm.dmg" from http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html
or other specialized builds?

Thanks,

Brian
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject:

Support for 10.1.5 is partial. The biggest one that you'll have an issue with is printing. Since CUPS doesn't exist on 10.1.x, there's older fallback code Dan wrote to use Adobe Acrobat as the printer (e.g. it converts to PDF, opens in Acrobat, then instructs Acrobat to print). It's been untested in 103, though.

What you'll need to do is install all of the preliminaries yourself and get the proper versions of XFree86 and dlcompat installed. 10.1 requires specific versions in order to run. If you can get those in place, you should be able to use the ooo103darwingm installer. The binaries for the full release were compiled on a 10.1.x box so should have no explicit dependencies on 10.2.x that would prevent it from launching. The big limitation I know if is printing, but other then that I wouldn't expect any major issues.

There are some bugs in AppleScript Studio that didn't get fixed until 10.2.3, however, so you may need to launch OOo from a terminal if you run into problems with Start OOo. The pre 10.2.3 probles have been sporadic at best, but if you find any the only workaround to get the launcher working is to update to a version of the OS that doesn't have those bugs Sad

Good luck!

ed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks!! Xfree86 version needed?

Thanks for the info that helps a lot! Smile

Do you know what version ofXfree86 is needed? I have 4.2.0-12 and seem stuck with it as I can't get Fink to upgrade itself beyond 0.4.1a. Printing is not a problem right now as I will be printing from another computer.

Sincerely,

Brian
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...the last version I know of that works on 10.1.x that was released was "4.2.0.1". You can get it from the XonX project:

http://www.mrcla.com/XonX/

That page from torrey & friends will get you started. From what I can tell, the 4.3.x installer available here (and tarballs from XonX...I do their IA installers too) is 10.2 only. I honestly must admit that I'm unsure if there are any dependencies on the 4.3.x XDarwin on 10.2 as I haven't yet compiled XFree86 from scratch on 10.1.

My suggestion would be to go to XonX, download 4.2.0, then install 4.2.0.1...making sure to get the 10.1 installer for the updater and *not* the 10.2.

Beyond that, it may bitch at you about libfreetype 6.3 not being found. I really am not sure of what freetype version it installs or if it's 10.1 compatible. The old 4.2.0 installer from XonX included a version of freetype that was too old for OOo to run, and I'm hoping that the way I built the 103gm image binaries you don't run into that as an issue.

First solution is to try to simply create a symbolic link from /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.2.dylib to libfreetype.6.3.dylib. Try tricking it. The installer isn't smart. It just tries to be smart enough to avoid novices from shooting themselves in the foot (and hopfully doesn't pull the trigger themselves).

The link to 6.3 should placate the installer from trying to install its own. If running OOo fails, you may need to install a newer version of freetype. Try:

You may want to try running the latest freetype installer from:

http://www.osxgnu.org/software/Xwin/Libraries/freetype/

I really am unsrue if that will work, or what version of freetype is included for 10.1 installs. If you can or can't launch, come on back and let us know.

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.0.3 support on Mac OS X 10.1.x

OPENSTEP wrote:
Hmm...the last version I know of that works on 10.1.x that was released was "4.2.0.1".

My suggestion would be to go to XonX, download 4.2.0, then install 4.2.0.1...making sure to get the 10.1 installer for the updater and *not* the 10.2.

I believe that is correct.

OPENSTEP wrote:
Beyond that, it may bitch at you about libfreetype 6.3 not being found. I really am not sure of what freetype version it installs or if it's 10.1 compatible. The old 4.2.0 installer from XonX included a version of freetype that was too old for OOo to run, and I'm hoping that the way I built the 103gm image binaries you don't run into that as an issue.

First solution is to try to simply create a symbolic link from /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.2.dylib to libfreetype.6.3.dylib. Try tricking it. The installer isn't smart. It just tries to be smart enough to avoid novices from shooting themselves in the foot (and hopfully doesn't pull the trigger themselves).

The link to 6.3 should placate the installer from trying to install its own. If running OOo fails, you may need to install a newer version of freetype.

This was the major problem I ran into when I was trying to install OOo 1.0.3 pre-release builds on Mac OS X 10.1.x - I couldn't get past this point..

OPENSTEP wrote:
Try:

You may want to try running the latest freetype installer from:

http://www.osxgnu.org/software/Xwin/Libraries/freetype/

I really am unsrue if that will work, or what version of freetype is included for 10.1 installs. If you can or can't launch, come on back and let us know.

I will have to try that. I wasn't sure if it was compatible with OOo 1.0.3 (I was looking at v2.1.4, and the OOo sources referred to v2.0.2 and v2.0.5).

The other thing to be aware of is the ESP GhostScript and fondu sub-installers that are part of the OOo 1.0.3 installer will not work on Mac OS X 10.1.x - I think they use a newer version of installer packages that only work with Mac OS X 10.2.x. Just deselect these installers in the Custom Install of OOo 1.0.3.

If I get some time, I will make another attempt, with the OOo 1.0.3GM installer on Mac OS X 10.1.x.

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject:

That's actually a really good point about turning off the ghostscript option...if you need to trick the installer there just create dummy links to

/usr/local/share/ghostscript/7.05
/usr/local/bin/ps2pdf

If those two files exist, the installer assumes ghostscript is on the machine.

I also went back and checked...the installer does include both the 10.1 and 10.2 versions of dlcompat and will install the appropriate one for your OS.

ed
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote

Quote:
Hmm...the last version I know of that works on 10.1.x that was released was "4.2.0.1". You can get it from the XonX project:

1.0.3GM does install, and run, on 10.1.5 with XDarwin or (more prettily, in my opinion) with OroborOSX

and Terry wrote

Quote:
The other thing to be aware of is the ESP GhostScript and fondu sub-installers that are part of the OOo 1.0.3 installer will not work on Mac OS X 10.1.x - I think they use a newer version of installer packages that only work with Mac OS X 10.2.x. Just deselect these installers in the Custom Install of OOo 1.0.3.

Which explains all the trouble I've had since I first tried installing OOo public beta a few months back Very Happy

When I first encountered this (and before I knew any better Embarassed ) I filed it as an isue (#14446) on the main OOo site. The symptoms are

Quote:
The ESP ghostscript.mpkg included with OOo 1.0.1 X11 Final Beta.dmg chokes the
Apple installer. Console.log shows an error trying to read ESP ghostscript.info, which
the installer expects to find in ESP ghostscript.mpkg/Contents/Resources. It is
missing, as is the .list file. The packages within the mpkg are also missing their .info,
.sizes and .bom files, and the *.pax.gz files are all called Archive.pax.gz instead of <
package name>.pax.gz.

By feeding the installer the files it seemed to want (hacked versions of .info etc files taken from other install packages) I got enough ghostscript installed to get the OOo installer to work, but not enough for printing Sad . PS2PDF does nothing, presumably because the ghoscript install is not quite right and/or the version of ghostscript doesn't like 10.1.5. Is there a version of ghostscript that will install on 10.1.5? And if there is, would it help me anyway?

NOTE Hacking installers is asking for trouble. I was working on a fresh install of 10.1.5 on my new hard disk, so even if I'd had to reformat and start over, it would only have been a few hours and no important files lost.

Thanks for all the hard work on OOo - it really is amazing that something this good is available free.

Luke
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject:

In terms of ghostscript, there may be versions of ghostscript that run on 10.1.5, but the real printing drag isn't ghostscript. There's no good version of CUPS that runs on 10.1.5. Someone (Meinhard? Terry?) tried to get the 10.1 CUPS compiled back in antiquity and it was a nightmare. That makes the printer integration a bit of a problem.

To install ghostscript on 10.1.x I know of two recommended approaches. One is to install TeX. The Mac OS X TeX installers for 10.1 include ghostscript, IIRC. Meinhard recommended TeXShop to me:

http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html

The second one is via fink. That one may be a bit more troublesome...I make no qualms about my love/hate relationship with fink.

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Ghostscript/Printing on Mac OS X 10.1.x

OPENSTEP wrote:
There's no good version of CUPS that runs on 10.1.5. Someone (Meinhard? Terry?) tried to get the 10.1 CUPS compiled back in antiquity and it was a nightmare.

I didn't try (maybe it was Kevin or Dan), but I remember hearing about the problems.

Maybe there is an alternative.

I have not tried this with Mac OS X 10.1.x, but I have used it successfully with OOo on Mac OS X 10.2.x.

http://www.geocities.com/barijaona/print66/ is a print spooler that interfaces between the standard UN*X 'lpr' printer mechanism, and the Apple Mac OS 7.x/8.x/9.x printer drivers. It does require you to have a machine attched to your printer, running Mac OS 7.x/8.x/9.x, and connected to your Mac OS X machine via the network - but maybe it would work in Classic, and you could have "both" machines on the same physical machine - it might require 2 separate IP addresses, and I can't remember if Classic supports that (maybe Mac OS X 10.2.x) feature.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Terry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: 10.1.5 install successful!! :)

Thanks everyone! Since I started this topic just wanted to let you know I installed 1.0.3 successfully a few days ago. One cool part is I got it off a CD from a CHIP magazine special edition I bought here in Romania. The entire magazine (in Romanian) was dedicated to Open Office.org and how/why to use it (the fact that it is legal to copy being a big part of it). It included OOo and Moz 1.4 for Win/Mac/Linux. So inroads being made in Eastern Europe!

I believe the Fondu installer worked o.k. (I might be wrong). The ghostscript installer did hang up though several times until I just skipped it. I don't need printing right now so I imagine that can wait until I get 10.3 next year, and upgrade to OOo1.1. Smile Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Brian
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1