Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - German OpenOffice team to help with Cocoa port
German OpenOffice team to help with Cocoa port

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: German OpenOffice team to help with Cocoa port

Have a look at this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=245222

Does anyone have more information on this port? Are they going to help with NeoOffice/J or do they really think they have (or will find) that many developers that they can create a Mac port of OpenOffice that is not based on NeoOffice/J?
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject:

looking here:

http://news.gmane.org/group/gmane.comp.openoffice.devel.porting/last=/force_load=t

it seems they are still trying to have an x11 version of 2.0
reading here and there it seems to be an german project of cocoa porting.
no java.

f.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject:

For more background, see the following topic:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6645#6645

I sent a message to Eric and the OOo marketing team to query whether they wanted war. If they do, NeoJ will win. I also have no problem ethically working to actively destroy a community (OOo Mac OS X) that, without me, wouldn't even exist. In a way, it's kind of fun to be fighting one's self Twisted Evil

ed
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject:

intresting.
I'd like to write an article for the magazine I write for, about the 'so called' open source of people working 'for free' to Oo (linux, windows and sun version) and the real situation of people working for neooffice.

can you give me some material in simple english to my e-mail (fabrizio at venerandi dot com), or here in the forum?

thank you

f.
fridrich
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject:

Fabrizio, I would just adminish you from trying to generalize and crash down the OOo community.
It is true that there are people that are payed by their companies so that they can hack on OpenOffice.org. Nevertheless, this is not actually a bad solution. If Linux distributors want to have a nice professional Office Suite, they give money to the hackers.
Besides this, we are many in the OOo developper community who do not get a single penny for working on adding features like the WordPerfect import filter. Those of us work during our free time and sacrificing also a bit of our family life for a cause that we believe good.
Please, get the facts correctly, if there was no OpenOffice.org code, there is no way Patrick and Ed, and Dan, etc.. could come with something like Neo/J them alone. Look at AbiWord that has a lot of dedicated people spending their free time on it. It is a good product, but far from being serious competition of OOo.

Cheers

Fridrich
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I sent a message to Eric and the OOo marketing team to query whether they wanted war. If they do, NeoJ will win. I also have no problem ethically working to actively destroy a community (OOo Mac OS X) that, without me, wouldn't even exist. In a way, it's kind of fun to be fighting one's self Twisted Evil

Now, with all due respect, but ... WTF was that going to achieve?

In the end, you'll still be working off the same codebase. It is just sad that the OOo-on-Mac effort will be fragmented and there will be no new developers here.

I understand it feels like rejection and lack of acknowledgement for all the hard work done by you and Patrick, but they have a right to make their own mistakes, if nothing else. And as for having no ethical objection to destroying the community, that is just spiteful. They'll have enough trouble without you harping on their good intentions.

For myself, I am curious to see what exactly you were hinting at in your earlier post about going beyond the menus Smile. Whatever Eric Hoch and friends are planning, it will probably not be operational and stable before Longhorn is around. I will be a happy NeoOffice user until then at the very least.

Best wishes,
Oscar

fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject:

dear fridrich, it is not my intention to talk bad of Oo community, but simple shows the cause there are complete Oo version for linux, windows and sun, and the only release for osx is maintened by 2 programmers, and the 1.1.x is still in beta, some months before the release of the 2.0...
'cause there are people payed for a Oo version, and people not payed for. apple choices to have his 'office', and do not support the Oo development for osx, this is a fact.

no flame, really.

f.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

Now, with all due respect, but ... WTF was that going to achieve?

I don't think it would achieve anything, which is why I don't want to have that be the case. Actually the tone of my message was just kind of more shock followed by the message that I thought it was a misunderstanding, which it was Smile

FWIW, the problem wasn't really the OOo Mac community or the developers, it's probably more just that the OOo community at large isn't really set up to deal with this type of situation of something that's not OOo but really is.

As to going beyond menus, I'm hoping to work to do the buttons, scrollbars, and the other widgets with the OOo NWF. After thought I decided to hold off until after 1.1 since it'll probably result in a lot of destabilization that would prevent us from ever being able to finally say that the foundation is "GM" quality Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
Oo version for linux, windows and sun, and the only release for osx is maintened by 2 programmers, and the 1.1.x is still in beta, some months before the release of the 2.0...

Don't forget Eric B. and Eric H. are working on getting the 2.0 X11 version up to speed along with other folks who are helping out. I wouldn't want to ignore them and all the work they do.

But yes, you are correct in that there's no major corporate sponsor of the Mac platform specifically, but without the Sun sponsored OOo project there wouldn't be any way that the Mac projects could survive. The volunteer community isn't large enough to sustain a project of the size of OOo.

ed
JimWG
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Getting the Word out on College/Corporate Boards

Greetings:

Dear Ed & Pat:

I need your permission to disseminate relevant NeoOffice posts around to college and university and corporate boards such as those posts relating to NeoOffice development and marketing issues. If you can delinate a guideline of what you'll allow to be gleaned I'd be most appreciative.

James Greenidge
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1