NeoOffice :: View topic - Spam postings
Spam postings

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Spam postings

I have noticed recently (especially this morning) that the number of postings by "Guest" that only contain a quote of a previous posting are increasing.

Via my searches in Google, I have found that Google has many links to this server with "mode=quote" as parameter. This makes me suspect that search engines and spam bots are posting these.

Any ideas how we can curtail this?

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject:

Are these spam postings? I had been looking at them and not seeing any links or meta tags in them.

One solution, of course, is to restrict all anonymous postings, requiring folks to have a user account. I had been hoping to avoid doing that to the forums; I already had to disable it on the articles due to comment spam.

The only other solution would be to try and see if there's anyone who wants to run through and just happily delete them.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Is there anyway to tweak the php for the mode=quote posts to include a "noindex" or whatever just on those pages, so Google won't index them but will still index the regular-mode threads?

For some reason Google seems most fond of indexing/caching the useless pages like mode=quote. When the kiddies last took out the forums, I went searching through Google's cache to try and recover some of the key posts (esp the ones the FAQ linked too) and most of the results were mode=quote, which was not very useful....

Otherwise, I'm fond of cleanup and equally annoyed by the random "quote-posts" Very Happy

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject:

OK, I just added in some stuff to the PHP that now requires a reasonable delay between when a reply page is sent and the reply can actually be submitted. In theory this should be a reasonable amount of time that it would take for a reply to be typed out.

The logic is that, being human, we type slowly. Bots don't type Wink

Let's see if this helps reduce some of these spurious quotes. It should also help remove "accidental" submits by users who aren't familiar with the forum.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:

General note: since some folks have noticed dropped postings, I'm tweaking my fix so throttling only applies for anonymous users. Users with accounts should be able to post without having to wait past the timeout.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject:

Ed, was that old logic also responsible for the "Submit" button working as the "Preview" button, if the message hadn't been previewed first?

Oscar noted this problem a while ago, but I mostly preview before hitting submit so I mostly didn't notice....

Edit: Oops, just saw your reply in the thread. What was odd is that when I did notice, they still were fairly lengthy posts or had taken some time to write; I expected the problem on short/quick posts, but they weren't. Regardless, the tweaks seem good so far Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spam Postings

sardisson wrote:
Ed, was that old logic also responsible for the "Submit" button working as the "Preview" button, if the message hadn't been previewed first?

Edit: Oops, just saw your reply in the thread. What was odd is that when I did notice, they still were fairly lengthy posts or had taken some time to write; I expected the problem on short/quick posts, but they weren't. Regardless, the tweaks seem good so far Smile

Smokey

I too ran into this tonight - I usually post as an anonymous user (yeah, yeah, I know). My replies tonight were reasonably thought out (and I even went and researched some stuff on the web). Maybe the time limit doesn't have to be quite so high.

Also I had a couple of occurrences when I pressed the Quote button or even the Submit button, all the server appeared to return to me was a blank page - I would then try back/forward page, and typically would have to repost the data no longer in cache. Yes, it might be this old broken web browser I am using, but I haven't experienced the problem before today, using the same browser. Maybe something needs checking.

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject:

OK Terry, I lowered the time for the throttling on the unlogged in posts. Let me know if that works.

There are also a couple of other potential cases that might result in that preview showing up instead of the post, such as if the IP changes inbetween the time the original page is sent and the submit occurs. I doubt that's the case, but just wanted to put that out there in case anyone else is experiencing problems...the timer may not be the only thing wrong Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1