NeoOffice :: View topic - StarOffice and OO.o
StarOffice and OO.o

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: StarOffice and OO.o

So i was reading news and saw that SO7 will be shipped in the new MadHatter package Sun is putting together.

Is OO.o1.1 based on SO7? or are the two on separate paths now? And if so, how come the changes are a full number update for SO but only a 0.1 update for OO.o?

(Side question. in an earlier article about OO.o it said that OO.o was based on SO5.2, was that a typo?)

-jake
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...according to tags and prior development SO 7 should be based off of 1.1. If you look at SO7 feature sets, you'll find they closely match 1.1.

This does raise two intersting questions:

1) As you point out, it was only a 1.1 release for OOo, but a full version for SO. There are already people in SO reviews bitching about how the improvements were "bug fixes" and not worthy of a full release. Saw that in the link off of the /. page.

2) Did you notice how the OOo release still has an "RC" moniker and not a full release number?

I wonder if Sun is trying to get real clever...at least they're smart and release the OOo versions well before the SO versions and try to leverage off of the Open Source community testing pool to fix the bugs they won't pay real SQA people to find in SO Sad

ed
nedrichards
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject:

SO7 = OOo 1.1 + Proprietry gubbins. There'll also be a mass deployment edition for big customers with a closed source management product to (I believe) remotely admin a SO install.

As someone who was on the project_leads mailing lists when most of these numbering excitements were being discussed a while back I can say a couple of things:

1) Slashdot will say many things, none of them it will have a clue about. They can bitch all they like, I for one think there's enough new features in 1.1 for a full version number upgrade and pushed for it. I mean, unicode throughout now! Wink

2) Sun didn't release SO7 this week, the Java Desktop System won't ship until December and I *think* SO7 is due in November. They just talked about it. From the traffic on releases it seems RC4 will be 1.1.

3) With the extra testing being done by the open source community? Firstly I thought that was the point, that we were good at catching bugs!
As you say they'd be fools not to use it.

Secondly they did it last time too. SO6 was OOo 1.0.1, SO6 patchset 1 1.0.2 and patchset 2 1.0.3.1 as I remember. At OOoCon I was told by the release engineering guys that most of the time difference was in integrating the proprietary stuff in on top of the open codebase though.

3) Up until, er, two months ago SO7 was SO6.1 as far as we knew (and in fact as far as the Sun guys at the coalface knew as well). I don't mind too much about the decoupling of version numbers, the 1.1 'brand' has been pretty well disseminated to the slashdot masses (we'd already had downloaded about 100,000 copies of something marked 1.1beta or later by the time we knew)

And for any more than that you'll have to see me on AIM Wink
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1