Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - TimesNewRoman is bold
TimesNewRoman is bold

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe bin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: TimesNewRoman is bold

Since I installed 1.0.3GM, TimesNewRoman comes out bold, at least, the only difference with bold is that letter spacing is a bit wider than normal. Italics are just fine and printing is ok too. No fonts substitution is set for that font.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject:

Hmm...Times New Roman would have been one of the converted TrueType fonts, and I seem to recall that it had both a regular and a bold outline font. Can you check to see how many "Times" fonts you have in /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/share/fonts/truetype? I've got the following set:

TimesBold
TimesBoldItalic
TimesItalic
TimesRoman

So in theory bolding should map to TimesBold. The other thing to try is to see if general truetype fonts without specific bold variants can be bolded, such as Monaco or Symbol. If so, a solution may be to remove all but the TimesRoman variant.

ed
joe bin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: TimesNewRoman is bold

I've got

TimesBold.ttf
TimesBoldItalic.ttf
TimesItalic.ttf
TimesNewRoman.ttf
TimesNewRomanBold.ttf
TimesNewRomanBoldItalic.ttf
TimesNewRomanItalic.ttf
TimesRoman.ttf

I had the same with 1.0.1

But what is strange is that there is a difference between bold and normal
it is just that it is VERY hard to notice, it seems something with the display

yves
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject:

OK, so for better or for worse I guess I don't have Times New Roman on my test box (is it a font that comes with office X?), so please try the following:

In a blank document, change the font to Times New Roman. Change the font size to 64. Type some stuff. Is the large text antialiased? (the only reason I say to switch to a large font is that it can be difficult to tell with a 12 pt or smaller font whether the font is bold or antialiased)

Repeat the above, but this time apply Bold before typing. Check for both antialiasing as well as kerning differences.

The reason for checking the antialiasing is that fonts are handled pecularily by OOo compared with other OS X applications. In theory, when presented with an unknown font, OOo first searches that share/fonts directory for an entry with a matching font name. When a font is found, it is loaded and usually antialiased.

If a font has the "jaggies", then OOo thinks it did not locate the TrueType font for a specific font name, substituted what it thought was the most reasonable bitmapped font, and estimated all the kerning info.

If both regular and bold are antialised in your install for TNR and the kerning is identical, then the problem may lie in the font files themselves and how we parse kerning info, etc.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1