· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Fonts and Font Troubleshooting FAQ
Fonts and Font Troubleshooting FAQ

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Fonts and Font Troubleshooting FAQ

I just posted a new FAQ summarizing the most common font-related issues that people have been encountering with OpenOffice.org. This FAQ can be accessed directly from the link below:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=7&categories=Fonts+and+OpenOffice.org

Pleast post anything that should be added to the FAQ here!

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Ed; the FAQ is great!

For completeness's sake, I'd suggest the The OpenOffice.org installer is hanging while "converting fonts" entry include a link to, or mention of, the ability to kill the offending "stuck" fonts and proceed with the rest of the conversion (in the 1.1.2 installer FAQ thread, but this killing can also be done in a GUI-friendly way using the Activity Viewer (Process Monitor? in 10.2.x) in the /Applications/Utilities folder).

Also perhaps the My Symbol fonts or foreign character fonts aren't showing up correctly! entry include a mention of the Font Autopilot for obtaining some of the Windows fonts mentioned in the last paragraph of the entry.

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the suggestions. I incorporated both of those into the FAQ Smile I believe the Font Autopilot will get the bitstream open source fonts and the microsoft web fonts only, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I believe the Font Autopilot will get the bitstream open source fonts and the microsoft web fonts only, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

There were some other "random" ones, including a bunch prefixed with "URW" or something similar, but all of these were most suited to non-Roman LTR languages, so I ended up removing them and kept only the MS and Bitstream ones. Smile

Smokey
nmb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject:

I just installed open office in several macs running 10.3.8 e all of them have problems displaying portuguese caracters just like çãõáó. I cannot find font pilot on the installed directory or on the installer directory.

should I use a portuguese open office instead of the english one?

thx

nuno
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject:

nmb wrote:
I just installed open office in several macs running 10.3.8 e all of them have problems displaying portuguese caracters just like çãõáó. I cannot find font pilot on the installed directory or on the installer directory.

should I use a portuguese open office instead of the english one?

thx

nuno

I have NeoOffice/J Beta installed under 10.3.8 and I can see what you mean. It seems to depend on the order of the characters you type! When I type çã then try to follow it with an õ, the result I get is çãáó instead of çãõ. If I type the same characters but in the order ãçõ, it works perfectly. So it definitely looks buggy in OOo code somewhere.
KdotJob
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fonts and Font Troubleshooting FAQ - OpenOffice.org 2.0

OPENSTEP wrote:
I just posted a new FAQ summarizing the most common font-related issues that people have been encountering with OpenOffice.org. This FAQ can be accessed directly from the link below:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=7&categories=Fonts+and+OpenOffice.org

Pleast post anything that should be added to the FAQ here!

ed

Thank you for the great Font FAQ that I found by linking from the OpenOffice support pages.

I'm running the danish version of OpenOffice.org 2.0 for MacOS X (10.3.9) X11, and there was no automatic conversion of the dfont files to TTF performed during the installation.

Instead I did a manual installation of the TrueType, following the suggestions of the FAQ.

For OpenOffice.org 2.0 there seems to be some minor changes to file locations.

Here's what I did...(after giving up on running the fondu utilities, I'm not a too fond of commandlines Embarassed - I'm sure that more patient users can work the fondu utilities with no problems).

First I obtained the TTF files from another source, e.g. a Windows machine, then I copied the TTF files to the OpenOffice.org 2.0 TrueType directory, and finally I removed the pspfontcache file.

On my Mac the OOo 2.0 TrueType directory is located here:
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org2.0/share/fonts/truetype

And the OOo pspfontcache file is located here:
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org2.0/share/psprint/fontmetrics

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject:

wow.

Thanks - that was really helpful !

I didn't find this on the main website [openoffice.org] though and had trouble finding it. I suggest that it should be appended or at least mentioned and linked to the font faq on the main site.
http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/fontguide.html
KdotJob
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
wow.

I didn't find this on the main website [openoffice.org] though and had trouble finding it. I suggest that it should be appended or at least mentioned and linked to the font faq on the main site.

Glad to help, and good point, the OO font guide is totally outdated. The reason I posted my solution to trinity, was because the OO site mentions, correctly I'd say, that this is the place to go for Mac OS X support, and they link to the font FAQ on trinity from (http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/support.html).

Since I'm passionate about OO, I guess that I should get more involved, so I'll try to find out if it can be added to the general font FAQ.

After solving the font issue I'm really happy with OO 2.0. Even though I'd love a native OS X version (eg. Neooffice 2.0), I wonder if it's worth the effort. Now if only OO 2.0/X11:Mac could use the UI fonts that Gimp is using, I'd be almost content.
dognose
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject:

I'm having trouble installing a ttf font for OO 2.0 on OS X 10.4 and X11 1.1.

I've downloaded a font for the International Phonetic Alphabet from http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=DoulosSILfont .

In the FAQ on manual installation is the instruction to put ttf fonts into share/fonts/truetype , but I cannot locate this directory. Nor can I find the directory I'm advised to remove, share/psprint/pspfontcache .

I also cannot find in OO the Font Autopilot or any such wizard as mentioned in the FAQ.

Would you kindly point me to these resources?

Hello, and thank you,
dognose
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject:

the font location is a few posts up. since the oo.ox11 2.0 version is a .app bundle you will have to right click and choose 'show package contents'
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject:

KdotJob wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
wow.

Glad to help, and good point, the OO font guide is totally outdated. The reason I posted my solution to trinity, was because the OO site mentions, correctly I'd say, that this is the place to go for Mac OS X support, and they link to the font FAQ on trinity from (http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/support.html).

Since I'm passionate about OO, I guess that I should get more involved, so I'll try to find out if it can be added to the general font FAQ.

If you want, you could re-write the FAQ for 2.0 (start a new thread) and once it is tested, we can get it stickied.

Also feel free to use the Wiki for such and effort

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com

(just PM me for an accont)

-j
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1