· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - MySQL/OO setup
MySQL/OO setup

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgit
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: MySQL/OO setup

I'm hoping to be teaching British curriculum ICT in the next couple of weeks and would really like to use Open Office. The major stumbling block at the moment is getting the Database aspect of the course covered. I'm sure this is possible using OpenOffice/MySQL/Panther combination, but have not been able to locate simple, but comprehensive setup instructions.

Any offers... please?
wurzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: MySQL/OO setup

oldgit wrote:
I'm hoping to be teaching British curriculum ICT in the next couple of weeks and would really like to use Open Office. The major stumbling block at the moment is getting the Database aspect of the course covered. I'm sure this is possible using OpenOffice/MySQL/Panther combination, but have not been able to locate simple, but comprehensive setup instructions.

Any offers... please?

Well I guess you started teaching your course without OOo Wink I too am looking for detailed instructions on how to setup a database connection between OOo X11 for Mac and mysql.

From what I have gathered thus far, you can forget ODBC. There simply aren't any mysql odbc drivers at the moment. You can download a set of resource files from the mysql web site that you are supposed to be able to compile and run on MacOSX, but that is not an alternative I can go for, knowing next to nothing about MacOSX and little more about compiling.

There is also the JDBC alternative. I saw from previous discussions on one of these lists that it is possible to connect to a mysql db from OOo X11, but unfortunately no instructions were given. All I need to know is where to copy the jar file (at the moment I've put it in the JVM Extensions folder), and which parameters to put in the command line. THe rest I can probably deal with from the other documentation available on the OpenOffice.org website.

Any takers ?

Alex
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: MySQL setup

Donwload Connector/J from MySQL main site.
The inclued README gives many information.
The most important keypoints are:
• the class name of the JDBCdriver: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
• the URL format: jdbc:mysql://host.domain/database_name

The jar file location:
• for OOo/X11: you can put it where you want. To let OOo know, you shoud go to "Tools->Options" menu item. Then in the "security" pane, there is a place to add directories to classpath. Click on browse and find your jar file.
• for Neo/J. I had to put it in the "<NeoOffice>/Contents/MacOS/classes" folder to get it found. Didn't check with recent release if the previous classpath setting does work.

With this basic setup the connection should works.
Then you come to the fine tuning stuff: charset, etc...
wurzel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: MySQL setup

Max_Barel wrote:
Donwload Connector/J from MySQL main site.
With this basic setup the connection should works.
Then you come to the fine tuning stuff: charset, etc...

Thanks ever so, great stuff, can't wait to try it out.

Alex
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MySQL setup

Max,

Max_Barel wrote:
The jar file location:
• for OOo/X11: you can put it where you want. To let OOo know, you shoud go to "Tools->Options" menu item. Then in the "security" pane, there is a place to add directories to classpath. Click on browse and find your jar file.
• for Neo/J. I had to put it in the "<NeoOffice>/Contents/MacOS/classes" folder to get it found. Didn't check with recent release if the previous classpath setting does work.

FYI. I just tried adding the MySQL jar file using the Security pane in the Tools->Options menu item Neo/J. After adding the jar file in that pane and restarting Neo/J, I successfully connected to my MySQL database.

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: MySQL setup

pluby wrote:
Max,
FYI. I just tried adding the MySQL jar file using the Security pane in the Tools->Options menu item Neo/J. After adding the jar file in that pane and restarting Neo/J, I successfully connected to my MySQL database.

Confirmed.
I can't remember when, nor with which version, my first attempt to do it this way failed.
Max
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject:

went to go put this in the wiki... and it had already been added, you guys rock.
mansky
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject:

This thread is a little old, but I thought I'd post some links that proved useful to me in getting NeoOffice/OO to connect to MySQL via ODBC.

First, MySQL does have an ODBC connector, it's MyODBC and can be found here:
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html

Pick either binary or source. I downloaded and installed from source. Version 3.51.10 is the latest and correctly creates bundled libraries needed for OSX.
I run Mac OSX 10.2.8 and gcc 3.3 in the Aug 03 Developer CD.

Second, there are a number of links with details on using MySQL w/OO.

a) Eric Zander's website: http://ericzander.com/Publications/OO_MySQL_Tutorial/index.htm

b) http://www.oooauthors.org/FAQs/Database/connectors/20041114b

c) Linux World articles: http://www.linuxworld.com/story/32629.htm

d) McCreesh's pdf file: http://www.unixodbc.org/doc/OOoMySQL.pdf

Third, if you want to startup MySQL at boot-up, MacOSXHints has an excellent article on how to do it:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031212142956308

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Mac / OOo / MySQL

Just thought I would aks my question here, seemed a reasonable place.

A couple months ago, I managed to get MySQL and OOo (X11) to talk to eahc other on my Mac.

Now I am trying to create a second DB. Went into Mysqladmin, created DB, granetd permissions, everyhting seems OK.

But OOo cannot find the new DB - onyl the old one.

Any ideas ?

-Arc
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1