Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - German speakers... (and also the wiki)
German speakers... (and also the wiki)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: German speakers... (and also the wiki)

have a look at this site, bitte: http://apfelwiki.de/wiki/Tests/WordAlternativenTest

There's a nice comparison of AbiWord, Neo/J (mis-named, missing the /J), Mellel, and Nisus Writer Express. Some of it make sense via Babelfish, but a lot of it is still gibberish to me.

I am concerned about the "Writing/Script Systems" category, which translated pretty well and with which I'm fairly familiar. I'm not sure how the testers were unable to "find" right-to-left capabilities...the text-direction buttons show up on the toolbar by default, do they not? The buttons show for me with a fresh profile but I've also installed the Arabic langpack for my use with my Arabic user account, and that could possibly flip the Language Settings: Languages: Enable CTL pref to on by default if it wasn't (but I think that pref has always been on by default in Neo/J and off by default in OOo).

Also it's not clear what is required to get the X for complete Unicode support; I'd certainly think Neo/J has complete Unicode support.

I'm not as familiar with other parts of Writer and much of the table came out as unintelligible English for me, so it'd be good if our German speakers could take a look and point out any big errors (like the RTL support) to the reviewers (I'm not expecting us to suddenly defeat Mellel, but it does seem like there are some omissions).

Oh, and tell them that we have a nice transparent, non-lossy .png (for their main Neo/J listing) right here Smile

Danke,
Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Hayke
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Well, I do read/write a littie German, but it's defenately not without misspelling... (not even mentioned my lousy grammar)

If there isn't no-one around with a more native vocabulary, I'll give it a try.

(But when there are some Germans around... Wink )
Hombre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm one of the active users of ApfelWiki. First off I changed it to NeoOffice/J. The missing of right-to-left writing support will be reported to the one who has set up most of the test (Ske)...

I have a great idea, btw. What about setting up a German version of the NeoOffice/J Wiki on ApfelWiki for the German community. It could reside in a sepereate group. Both wikis could link to the other language respectively...

What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject:

I set up a German version of the wiki main page at: http://apfelwiki.de/wiki/NeoOffice/MainPage
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject:

Jake (who hosts the NeoWiki) said he was going to set things up so that we could have each page in multiple languages; I'm not sure if it's been enabled yet or not.

My preference, as one of the main contributors to the wiki, would be to keep the multiple versions on our site, so it's easier for everyone to keep up with, and reflect changes back into, the different languages.

For instance, we'd love to get Fabrizio to write up his database tutorial--he'll do it in Italian--and then we'd translate it into English, French, German.... Max has tons of great tips and is more comfortable in French, so when he puts up a tip, we can then translate it to the other languages. If there's only one site to watch for changes, it's less work and there's less of a chance something is missed. And, equally as important, it will help build up/strenghten our multilingual community.

It's not really my call, though, and every little bit of exposure is good....

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject:

c'est dommage!
I can understand that you want to keep it all in one place. On the other hand I'm sure the German community would have profited from it being hosted at ApfelWiki, as it is the biggest and most active wiki for the Mac in Germany...

It would have been some sort of advertising for us (ApfelWiki) too, of course! Wink

The "Wordalternativen Test" is corrected, btw!
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject:

Well, regardless of who hosts what, some extensive cross-linking might be a good thing, especially if before everything is set up and translated.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject:

indeed i have started working on making the wiki multi-lingual (simiar to the wikipedia setup)

i would not discourage information, so if you would like to have a wiki on Neo, please. the more the merrier =) however, i will still be setting up a German page on the NeoWiki. The reason for this is that it will hopefully help us keep the information as up to date as possible. (for all languages...)

-j, who should have studied something other than latin
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject:

BTW: NeoOffice/J was mentioned on the newsticker of the important german computer magazine c't: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/58109.

It was mentioned, that Patrick needs up to 200.000 USD to work fulltime on NeoOffice/J to port it to OOo 2.0 codebase. The "official OOo-port for Aqua" was mentioned, too.

Thomas
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:

schlesi wrote:
BTW: NeoOffice/J was mentioned on the newsticker of the important german computer magazine c't: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/58109.

It was mentioned, that Patrick needs up to 200.000 USD to work fulltime on NeoOffice/J to port it to OOo 2.0 codebase. The "official OOo-port for Aqua" was mentioned, too.

Glad to see c't pick the story up. (Hopefully that won't get Eric H upset like this posting got Eric B upset. Sad)

While we're talking German sites here, are there any German-language sites that would benefit from having a "press release" sent to them when 1.1 hits the formal release?

It would be nice to do some coordinated press because it will be Neo/J's first post-0.x, non-"beta" version release, i.e. something we think is solid enough that everyone can try out (unrealistic expectations of perfection aside Sad), and we'd need to coordinate some people in our target languages to get "press releases" ready in advance of the launch.

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject:

I could provide you with the list from ApfelWiki, which is pretty much complete comcerning all the important German Mac sites and magazines! For privacy reasons, send a mail to "presse AT apfelwiki DOT de"
Hayke
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject:

Jake, If you like, i can do some translationwork to Dutch for the wiki. I don't know whether there are enough Dutch or Flaming people around already for that job?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject:

flaming people?

yes, i am definatly looking for people who speak other languages to help. =) though now i am looking for time to do the setup...
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject:

Hayke wrote:
Jake, If you like, i can do some translationwork to Dutch for the wiki. I don't know whether there are enough Dutch or Flaming people around already for that job?

Hayke, FWIW, "vlaams" translates to "flemish" Smile. And I'll gladly help you but translation is not much my thing.

Hayke
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

"vlaams" translates to "flemish" Smile. And I'll gladly help you but translation is not much my thing.

Whoops! Embarassed

I guess I'll never forget that...

And Jake, I'll wait untill it's ready! If You need a hand for the multilingual setup: I'll give a hand if you want me to. I only don't have any clue where to start...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1