Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Speed down to a crawl on RC release.
Speed down to a crawl on RC release.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Speed down to a crawl on RC release.

Hi everyone,

Is there some sort of technical failure or is NeoOffice/J just so popular that planamesa is swamped and timing out and this site is slow as a snail?

I trust the latter. Long may it continue, in that case Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Trinity has gotten very slow, the wiki has been in and out, and now, as you say, Planamesa is missing.

Reminds me of the 0.7 and 0.8 releases when Patrick's host kept making the binary unavailable because it was too popular Smile

Hopefully we can find some more mirrors before the final 1.1 release. I've had more people on my torrent tonight than I did the entire time I was seeding 1.1 Beta (3-4 days). But, as Ed said, everyone seems to grab it and go and not help seed even a little bit of time/bandwidth.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Trinity has gotten very slow, the wiki has been in and out, and now, as you say, Planamesa is missing.

Ah, the price of success..

sardisson wrote:
Hopefully we can find some more mirrors before the final 1.1 release. I've had more people on my torrent tonight than I did the entire time I was seeding 1.1 Beta (3-4 days). But, as Ed said, everyone seems to grab it and go and not help seed even a little bit of time/bandwidth.

What do you use (or what is a smart way to do it)? I don't mind seeding but I am not familiar with Bittorrent and I don't want to install a big mess for it. And I need to have some bandwith available for people who use the web services I have running on my machine..

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject:

It looks www.planamesa.com is down as I cannot even ping www.planamesa.com. Hopefully, my webhosting company hs the machine down for maintenance or something and it will be back online soon.

Note that the binaries are not on www.planamesa.com but are on other sites so it is unlikely that their site is overwhelmed. My guess is that the machine is down.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject:

Looks like www.planamesa.com came back online just as I was posting the last message. Everything is OK now.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Looks like www.planamesa.com came back online just as I was posting the last message. Everything is OK now.

Well, I still get time-outs on http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/features.php, so something is up (or down, as the case may be).

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject:

I noticed the same thing as well. I was able to finally get into the machine and found that my webhosting company has been rebooting the machine every 25 minutes or so for the last two hours.

So, I suspect that something is messed up on that machine. Like most webhosting companies, www.planamesa.com is one of many different web sites hosted on a single machine so either they are doing some upgrade or one of the websites on that machine as grinding the machine to a halt.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Torrent, Torrent, where's the Torrent?

sardisson wrote:

Reminds me of the 0.7 and 0.8 releases when Patrick's host kept making the binary unavailable because it was too popular Smile

Smokey

I like the concept of BitTorrent, and I support it. I have a 2.1 GB torrent that I'm helping (not seeding). However, I downloaded the .torrent hosted by the NeoOffice/J planamesa site, but there is NO ONE home. How can I get your .torrent file and get in the Torrent to download/help.

James McKenzie
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject:

For the torrent, you need a torrent client (but I suspect you have one already...). Use the following torrent:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/torrents/NeoOfficeJ_1.1_RC.dmg.torrent

There are 6 seeders right now. Although mine is bandwidth capped (intentionally, to leave bw. for CVS and trinity) you still should be able to get reasonable performance.

I tend to find Tomato Torrent to be a nice GUI:

http://sarwat.net/bittorrent/

Aside from that torrent client I've tended to just use the command line ones. I'm a command-line freak, so if I start spewing "open Terminal" don't be frightened.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
For the torrent, you need a torrent client (but I suspect you have one already...). Use the following torrent:

Ed, I still don't understand why your .torrent is 591K (!) and the one I generated was only 12K.

OPENSTEP wrote:
There are 6 seeders right now. Although mine is bandwidth capped (intentionally, to leave bw. for CVS and trinity) you still should be able to get reasonable performance.

I don't have continual access to high-speed connections, so I'm on and off. I also have my BT uploads capped depending on what I'm doing, but so far with this Neo/J release I haven't come close to seeing them hit.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Ed, I still don't understand why your .torrent is 591K (!) and the one I generated was only 12K.

The size of the torrent file actually depends on the number of segments that you split up the hosted file into. I used a larger number of segments which, in theory, should work better for the situation where there are larger numbers of seeders with lower bandwidth connections. It's all a tradeoff, I guess.

OPENSTEP wrote:
I don't have continual access to high-speed connections, so I'm on and off. I also have my BT uploads capped depending on what I'm doing, but so far with this Neo/J release I haven't come close to seeing them hit.

Mine were hit early on by the two machines I was using to seed, but as more seeding machines came online the bandwidth started to drop off. I suspect it's that the load is getting more distributed Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
sardisson wrote:

The size of the torrent file actually depends on the number of segments that you split up the hosted file into. I used a larger number of segments which, in theory, should work better for the situation where there are larger numbers of seeders with lower bandwidth connections. It's all a tradeoff, I guess.

Ah, no such option in the official client, or at least the version that was current when Neo/J 1.1 RC came out. Thanks for the explanation Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

Smokey

Sounds like someone has their piece size set way to small and the other has it set way to high. I recommend a piece size between 16 and 256k. This tends to work best. You can set the chunk size smaller than the piece size, of course.

jjmckenzie51
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1