NeoOffice :: View topic - I hate Panther
I hate Panther

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject:

kiwi wrote:
Cool! Someone who can fix my printing then. The printer (epson stylus photo) is on the Linux box and configured via the web interface and some editing of the cupsd.conf. I do accord that the Redhat GUI for setting up printing is a s bad as Print Center. The epson drivers are identical on both machines when it comes to quality of output.

I can see the printer from the Linux box and from a W-XP box but not from the Mac. I have tried Print Center Repair and all of the hacks I found in Google. Double click on Print Center = beach ball for hours on end. When the "add printer" dialog pops up I can't type in the IP address of the printer - no more than 3 or 4 characters then it locks up.

I installed a printer on Fedora Core at a client just the other day - it was no harder than on Mac OS X (and it works).

Tony

kiwi I have the exact same setup (and same printer).

Linux running CUPS w/the USB Epson Stylus Photo 820 connected to it.
+ Mac on the same network.

Here's what you need to do to get a mac on your LAN to automatically see it. Edit /etc/cupsd.conf so that the security options part looks like this (sorry everyone for the long post.)

(comments are removed for space purposes)

Quote:

########
######## Security Options
########

SystemGroup lp

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.1.0/24
</Location>

<Location /jobs>
AuthClass System
AuthType Basic
Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Location>

<Location /admin>
AuthType Basic
AuthClass System
## Restrict access to local domain
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.1.0/24
</Location>

then make sure this line:

Quote:
BrowseAddress @LOCAL

is uncommented.

That did it for me. The printer showed up automatically in my list of printers without me doing anything else on the Mac.. it was "announced" to the local subnet, so the Mac knew about it and I didn't have to do anything having to do with the Print Center.

I can also access the linux box's CUPS at its local 192.168.1.x:631 address from the Mac box to kill processes or whatever. (it's also available on the linux box at 127.0.0.1:631, but it's nice to be able to get to it from any local machine)

Hope this helps,
W
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject:

won't work... I can see the printer in cups web interface, I can even print the test page from the Mac (youpi) but it is invisible to applications...

Tony
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject:

For some unknown reason my yesterday post get lost?
I wrote (more or less):

To the modification suggested by Waldo, I'll add :
• verify that BrowseAloow directive are OK, either none since default is to allow all or someting like:
Code:
BrowseDeny All
BrowseAllow 127.0.0.1
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
• also be sure ro use the right network numbers in the autorization places.

You should not have to use the web cups interface on OS X. Most of the time it's the right way to screw the settings.
If it doesn't work, post yout both cupsd.conf (linux and OS X). Maybe in a new "random whatnot" topic?

Max
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject:

As has been suggested, this line is important--

Quote:
BrowseAddress @LOCAL

because it is NOT turned on by default.

It looks like you are having some kind of problem with the broadcasting (ie, letting other computers know the printer is available). Double-check the broadcast settings mentioned above (don't forget to restart cupsd afterwards with an "/etc/init.d/cupsd restart") and also make sure that any firewall you have on the linux machine is not blocking udp port 631.

When everything is working, the printer will show up automatically in your application's printer list. It'll be in the pulldown menu, so make sure you're looking beyond the default local printer which will probably be selected. In my case, the printer is called "My Epson hooked up to the PC". Here's what my /etc/cups/printers.conf looks like:

Quote:
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.23
# Written by cupsd on Tue Feb 15 23:30:39 2005
<DefaultPrinter MyEpson>
Info My Epson hooked up to the PC
Location Home
DeviceURI usb://EPSON/Stylus%20Photo%20820
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

dunno if the above is helpful. You can confirm the device URI for your printer (not that you need to do anything with it, but just as a sanity check) by typing " lpinfo -v" in the shell.

Anyway, hope you get it working...

W
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject:

No my Mac is broken.

printers.conf was mangled it started with a lone 'I' and had two printers with mangled urls.

lpinfo just doesn't do a thing of course

Clean install seems to be the way out but I have never had this kind of problem with Linux. This is the second time on Mac (once with 10.1)

Tony
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject:

to go back on topic, i noticed today that the security update just released is mostly Java stuff...
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject:

For what it's worth, I applied the security update yesterday [onto 10.3.8]. Neo/J 1.1 patch 5 seemed to carry on working fine - no crashes, and no bugs not already discussed in the forums.

I have now applied patch 6, without a restart, and the bugfixes are working. Neo patch 5 had been run since the last restart, but not from my (admin) account - my wife had been using it from her own account. No problems in (limited) testing on either account.

Ah, the wonderful world of the intermittent fault. Sad

Luke

PS, how do you escape a smiley? (ten-point-three-point-eight) turns into (10.3.Cool.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
to go back on topic, i noticed today that the security update just released is mostly Java stuff...

For better or for worse the update was only to the 1.4.2 VM...earlier versions weren't affected. Woo hoo! Go 1.3.1! Razz

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
how do you escape a smiley? (ten-point-three-point-eight) turns into (10.3.Cool.

Hmm...I don't know how to escape a single one, but you can turn them off throughout your post using the "Disable Smilies" checkbox above the submit button. Or perhaps we can get a quick 10.3.9 release to alleviate this problem...

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
PS, how do you escape a smiley? (ten-point-three-point-eight) turns into (10.3.Cool.

Once upon a time, I discovered that trinity was only converting things to smilies if there was a blank space before it. However, that seems not to be the case anymore with our (10.3.Cools. Curious. Perhaps one of Ed's changes to keep out the kiddies inadvertantly affected the smilies parsing code?

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject:

It's because 8 ) = Cool so just put a space after the eight.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Look out, Patrick!

Macintouch.com wrote:
AppleInsider reports on yet another bug-fix release of Mac OS X, due in a month or so:
... The company also asked that developers assess the "general system usability and reliability." Apple also listed approximately 30 areas of change and enhancement that are already reflected in build 7W72. Some of these improvements include various video driver fixes, improved Directory Services performance, Java garbage collection optimization, 'wake from sleep' performance improvements, and a new version of the Mac OS X kernel (7.9.0).

This one's going to explicitly touch Java, too.... Sad

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject:

I'd be really really surprised if they actually touch Java 1.3.1. I suspect it's just GC for 1.4.2. Apple hasn't touched 1.3.1 since 2002 AFAIK (1.3.1 Update 1), so it's essentially a poor little deprecated orphan without a home (alebit with festering wounds... Smile )

ed
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject:

Guess who installed panther...

I managed to print for the first time in a year or so from my Mac.

Right now I am trying to convince panther to accept my 40 Gb IBM hard disk as /Users partition (without much luck). It won't use it as an install disk - I have a rev2 B&W G3 (lucky me).

Tony
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2