Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OO, Russian keyboard and hotkeys.
OO, Russian keyboard and hotkeys.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VN
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: OO, Russian keyboard and hotkeys.

Hi all,

When I use Russian keyboard under Apple X11 and OO I loose completely the ability to use any hotkey, like Ctrl+S, Ctrl+X,C,V and so on. I need to use the mouse or switch back to English keyboard.

Any idea?

VN
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject:

Hmm...interesting. The first thing that comes to mind is trying to remove Apple X11's penchant for sucking away some of the key combos. Uncheck the checkbox located at (off of Apple X11 menubar, not OOo):

X11 > Preferences > Input > Enable key equivalents under X11

I wouldn't think the keysyms shoudl change from OOo's standpoint, but Apple X11 may be sucking them away. I'll install the Russian keyboard on my test box and take a peek tonight to see if I can find a quick workaround. I haven't tested keybindings except for Romance languages myself.

ed
VN
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Uncheck the checkbox located at (off of Apple X11 menubar, not OOo):

X11 > Preferences > Input > Enable key equivalents under X11

It didn't work. Still the same.

Ciao,

VN
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Erk. I'll go try some different things on my test box and see what I come up with. Right now I don't have Russian keyboards enabled, but will work on it and get a test setup.

Do you have an actual Russian keyboard, or are you using a US keyboard in the Russian layout? We had some problems in the past that weren't reproducible on a US keyboard (or were more like hidden...) since the keymappings depended on the physical location of some keys on foreign keyboards. The majority of OOo OS X developers are US based and have to test these things through Key Caps (tho one is canadian, but I don't think that'll help with a Cyrillic layout...).

ed
VN
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Hi, Ed,

OPENSTEP wrote:
Right now I don't have Russian keyboards enabled, but will work on it and get a test setup.

Be aware that to activate Russian script (and Russian keyboard) under Jaguar you need to install at least one Cyrillic font (like Geneva CY or Times CY), then logout and login. Of course, the next step is to forget forever about those fonts from the stone 8-bit age and to use normal Unicode fonts. I hope they will address this in Panther.

OPENSTEP wrote:
Do you have an actual Russian keyboard, or are you using a US keyboard in the Russian layout?

In fact, "Russian" keyboard doesn't exist at all. I use a normal US ANSI QWERTY keyboard will Russian characters engraved on. If the question was about the keyboard layout, yes, I use a real Russian keyboard layout installed by Apple, not some hacked "Russian over QWERTY" keymaps available on the Net. In those keyboards the letters try to follow a QWERTY layout, i.e. Latin A = Russian A and so on. I don't like this.

OPENSTEP wrote:
We had some problems in the past that weren't reproducible on a US keyboard (or were more like hidden...) since the keymappings depended on the physical location of some keys on foreign keyboards.

I must desagree. You can install any keyboard layout and test it with your plain vanilla US keyboard. It will work.

However, Apple made a poor decision regarding keyboard layout design. I explain. When you use Windows, you can add all keyboard layouts you want, they will work according your physical keyboard design. For example, if I use the French AZERTY keyboard with French and Russian layouts installed, Ctrl+A will mean Ctrl+A in both French and Russian. Whem I press Ctrl key, the keyboard becomes Latin AZERTY.

In Apple's non Latin keyboards the QWERTY layout is hardcoded, so even if I use a French AZERTY keyboard with Russian and French layout installed, I use normally only the French keyboard (I mean the hotkeys). If I'm in Russian mode and want to make a global selection, I will in fact quit the application, because A and Q have traded places in AZERTY keyboards. The physical keyboard is French, but Russian layout has QWERTY wired, so life is complicated.

Ciao,

VN
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1