Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 680 m92 Darwin/MacOSX ?
680 m92 Darwin/MacOSX ?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: 680 m92 Darwin/MacOSX ?

Just wondered whrer to find an actual build of OO 1.9.92 for Darwin/MacOSX. Does anyone know a mirror?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject:

The latest build I've seen in m91, posted yesterday by NAKATA, Maho at ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/1.9m91/

Unlike Pavel's builds, it unzips as a complete installed OOo folder (so it doesn't fubar permissions on / and /Applications, but some of the folders aren't properly locked down like they are in 1.1.2 and other 1.9.xx builds).

Smokey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Thank's for the address. I am still downloading and eager to see the new build;)
George
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The latest build I've seen in m91, posted yesterday by NAKATA, Maho at ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/1.9m91/

Unlike Pavel's builds, it unzips as a complete installed OOo folder (so it doesn't fubar permissions on / and /Applications, but some of the folders aren't properly locked down like they are in 1.1.2 and other 1.9.xx builds).

Smokey

Smokey:

Is there a torrent available for this program?

Thanks.

James McKenzie
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Smokey

What do you mean when you say

Quote:
but some of the folders aren't properly locked down like they are in 1.1.2 and other 1.9.xx builds

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject:

amaloney wrote:
What do you mean when you say

Quote:
but some of the folders aren't properly locked down like they are in 1.1.2 and other 1.9.xx builds

The 1.1.2 release has the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder and all of its subdirectories are owned by root:admin (I recall seeing in the readme or somewhere else that this was done beginning in 1.1.x on all UNIX platforms for security reasons), whereas Maho's build ends up being owned by user_who_uncompresses_it:unknown. This perhaps not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it (IIRC, the older 1.9.xx builds that installed in /opt were also locked down in this way).

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Is there a torrent available for this program?

Not that I know of. I haven't made one because I'm on-and-offline atm.

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The 1.1.2 release has the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder and all of its subdirectories are owned by root:admin (I recall seeing in the readme or somewhere else that this was done beginning in 1.1.x on all UNIX platforms for security reasons), whereas Maho's build ends up being owned by user_who_uncompresses_it:unknown. This perhaps not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it (IIRC, the older 1.9.xx builds that installed in /opt were also locked down in this way).

I was actually taught the exact opposite. You don't want to bring in an application as root:[anything] unless you completely trust the originator. Of course, this can make 'sharing' an application a bear, but there is alway sudo chown root * in the affected directory from a terminal session. This mainly applies to test software (which is what I do for a living and fun.) You do not want an untested application running as root and then have it run (whether by accident or deliberately) cd /; rm -rf -y *
If you don't know what that does, it is a basic delete everything and don't ask questions. This has appeared, in various forms, in code.
[quote="sardisson']
Not that I know of. I haven't made one because I'm on-and-offline atm.

Smokey[/quote]
Well, I'm really off the net right now, but I will be back in about two weeks. When I'm on the net, I use a dial-up type connection, which makes serving a torrent very hard, but I can still build on, using Trinity as the tracker.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
I was actually taught the exact opposite. You don't want to bring in an application as root:[anything] unless you completely trust the originator.

IIUC, the folders and files are owned by root to prevent anyone/thing from mucking with them, but the app runs as whichever user launches it, not root (unless you happen to be silly enough to login is root).

Most of the apps that make up the "Core services" of Mac OS X are owned by root, but they run as me, e.g., when I decompress a zip archive using BOMArchiveHelper.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
IIUC, the folders and files are owned by root to prevent anyone/thing from mucking with them, but the app runs as whichever user launches it, not root (unless you happen to be silly enough to login is root).

On other words, you need root permissions to change the app, and because Patrick blocked it, you cannot even run the app as root.

Sorry James, I think your point is a bit off. Though you can still have crappy installer mucking up your drive when given root permissions.

sewsan
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Hello !

Did you try the build 1.9m93 from ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/1.9m93/ ?

When running soffice, I get the grey window but impossible to open any document, the app crashs immediately !
Any idea, experience ?

geoffroy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.9m9x

sewsan wrote:
Did you try the build 1.9m93 from ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/1.9m93/ ?

When running soffice, I get the grey window but impossible to open any document, the app crashs immediately !
Any idea, experience ?

You are not alone. It works for some people, and not for others. These are developer releases - use at your own risk, etc... The last version that sort of worked for me was 1.9m79.

Regards, Terry
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject:

sewsan wrote:
When running soffice, I get the grey window but impossible to open any document, the app crashs immediately ! Any idea, experience ?

If that one doesn't work for you, try http://ooo.lab-project.net/~ebachard/MacOSX/2.0/m93/, which is a bigger download but works fine on my tibook in 10.3.9.

- yoxi
ipan
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: 1.9.m107

I have just downloaded 1.9.m107 and it was fast in OS X 10.4.2 on a PowerBook.

<http://ooo.lab-project.net/~ebachard/MacOSX/2.0/m_107/Tiger/en-US/>

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1