· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - WOW!
WOW!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anonCoward

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: WOW!

WOW!

That's what I would use to describe my experience with NeoOffice 1.1 Beta.

I just downloaded it yesterday to try it out and I am in love.

I am so awed by how great of a job the developers have done with porting the suite to Mac OS X that I just had to make a new topic and tell you guys 'Congratulations.'

I don't care that it doesn't "look" like a Mac OS X app, but boy does it surely run like one.

You guys have got quartz font rendering, drop shadows, and the whole bag already enabled! And it looks gorgeous.

I used OpenOffice on Windows and Linux for awhile but quickly reverted back to MS Office because I have my gripes about the main trunk OpenOffice incompatibilities with MS documents (should really be tremendously resolved in 2.0). Plus it looks hideous and works dog slow on those platforms (again, should be fixed in 2.0 for those platforms, hopefully).

But the NeoOffice developers have done a tremendous job with the existing codebase of the main trunk and transformed this ugly duckling into a marvelous swan. NeoOffice is faster on my old 500mhz G4 than OpenOffice on my new 1.6 Ghz Centrino laptop. NeoOffice looks more beautiful on this struggling G4 than on my new PC laptop. I LOVE IT!

Therefore, I am declaring, as of today, an end of my dependance for MS Office v. X for Mac in favor of my new favorite productivity suite, NeoOffice (at least for spreadsheet and documents; still need powerpoint, sadly, because Presenter needs quite a bit of work from Sun's main OpenOffice trunk before I can switch that app Smile ).

You guys are doing a tremendous job, and here is a vote of confidence (probably doesn't mean much from an anonymous coward but I just wanted the developers to know that there are people who really do appreciate their work).

I know this whole post may come off as fanboyism or whatnot, but I can't help it since I NEVER expected NeoOffice to work so well in Beta form. I expected a slow, clunky, misfit application. But I was pleasantly suprised. I feel that NeoOffice really needs more advertising.

P.S. I read somewhere that I can install NeoOffice/J and OpenOffice for X11 at the same time. Is that true? So theoretically I could install NeoOffice/J 1.1 or 1.5 and OpenOffice 2.0 for X11 at the same time when the come out?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject:

should be no issue running oo.ox11 and neo/j. running multiple flavors of either (two neo/j versions, for example) becomes more tricky... but really only Neo-nerds like myself want to do that.

-j
falk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: copy / paste screen shot: congrats and thanks

I downloaded Neooffice yesterday and am flabergasted. What I see until now is great. In particular, one major drawback with OOO on OS-X is resolved: I use to take a lot of screenshots, both entire windows and rectangular selections (command-shift-4, ctrl- draw-rectangle) and paste them into documents for educational purposes. This is not possible yet with OOO, only smal text portions could be copy/pasted from the clipboard, or one had to go the tedious way to screenshot using a software like grab, save as tiff, load as graphics file into OOO.

With Neooffice copy/paste from clipboard works as expected. Great job, guys !!!
pd170
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: WOW

I'd like to join into the praise also.

Installed NeoJ quite some time ago, but the real test for me was how it converts large Excel files and back and am really pleased how smoothly this works.

On the Autofilter it runs faster than MS and this is a relief.

Noticed two minor points I will post differently.

1. When opening Excel files and entering numerical entries like 10.05 it requires a comma to be able to compute rather than a full stop.
However this comma translates into a full stop in MS Excel again.

Why can't the full stop be used in both programms?

2. When running the Autofilter in Excel and copy/past some information into the visible lines, NeoJ copies the information into all lines, even the hidden one by Autofilter.
Can this be fixed?

Again,
Tx to all of you guys to make this wonderful alternative to MS Office.
Christian
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: WOW

pd170 wrote:
1. When opening Excel files and entering numerical entries like 10.05 it requires a comma to be able to compute rather than a full stop.
However this comma translates into a full stop in MS Excel again.

Why can't the full stop be used in both programms?

Are you using a non-English setting for your System Language or text input? The use of a comma in place of a full stop as a delimiter is common in many European languages - I am guessing that it could be because your system is set up for one of these languages and that is being reflected in NeoJ.

Alternatively, if that isn't the case, try looking at your settings for the formatting of the cells (select either all the sheet or the column where this is occurring - control click and choose Format Cells... from the contextual menu and then click the number tab. Choose the number settings etc you want:

HTH

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1