NeoOffice :: View topic - Torrent not working
Torrent not working

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

I used Ed's torrent and tracker and I find 9 uploaders...
Sent out 700MB by now..

Ciao,
Oscar

By Ed's torrent are we both talking about the torrent from Trinity, or are we talking about two different torrents. If we are talking about two different torrents, I state again that there should be one and only one torrent (at the present time) to get NeoOffice/J from. The only time that I've seen two or more trackers is when a tracker was unstable and was subject to loss of connections to the Internet. One project that I worked on in my Intel days had its tracker on the end of a mobile satallite. Unstable was the word of the day. I don't think that Trinity will/should suffer from the same problems.

BTW, the RC solved a problem that I had. Time to visit bugzilla and note this.

James McKenzie
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject:

When Ed put his .torrent up (the one hosted at trinity), I took mine down (these happened within an hour or so of each other), so other than a few early folks, everyone should have been using Ed's .torrent (and I used the trinity tracker, so everyone always should have been on the trinity tracker).

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
When Ed put his .torrent up (the one hosted at trinity), I took mine down (these happened within an hour or so of each other), so other than a few early folks, everyone should have been using Ed's .torrent (and I used the trinity tracker, so everyone always should have been on the trinity tracker).

Then we should all be in sync.

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Smokey

Thanks for the clarification. I was not aware that your torrent was hosted off of Trinity. Now to get the next torrent ready (I still have to update Bugzilla as the 'bug' that I found is squashed in the newer code.) I still recommend a piece size of about 16 KB with a chunk size of 4 KB, thus making it four chunks to a piece, which should reduce the size of the torrent and maintain the ability for folks to work with a torrent if they are using a low bandwidth connection. Do Ed and you agree?

James
Gudy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Optimal Piece Size

I'm downloading neooffice using Bittorrent right now, and I'm noticing that your torrent has more than 30k pieces, for less than 120MB.

You really want to avoid having that many pieces, because the more pieces the greater the overhead. Usually people keep the number of pieces between 1k and 2k.

I would personnaly suggest using a piece size of 128kB, which would lead to a bit less than 1k pieces, which would be perfect.

By the way, the default "chunk" size isn't a property of the torrent (as people could think from the previous post), but of the clients, and it's usually 16kB. At the moment, your pieces are smaller than the default chunk size... while a piece should usually be made of several chunks.

So now, you'll think I'm only criticizing, so I'll go further and propose you to create and host the torrent for you (and even one seed if you want), on a professional server.

You can contact me at either azureus AT gmail.com or ochalouhi AT aelitis.com.

Olivier Chalouhi,
Azureus Project Manager.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the feedback on piece size and the like...most of my knowledge is based on rumor and the like. Thanks for all the hints on how to properly optimize the number of pieces and the like. I'm def. an amateur myself.

While trinity is not a professional server, the only benefit to using it as a source is that we have direct control over keeping it online with capped costs, direct access, and (for me at least) physical access to the server to do backups and maintenance Smile

Right now I am using a customized version of a PHP tracker I found online. Do you have any recommendations on different tracker packages to use? I was under the impression that the tracker wasn't the ultimate bottleneck in a BT system but I know little of the actual protocol and may be speaking out of my a-hole.

ed
Gudy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject:

Tracker definitely isn't a source of bottleneck, as long as you can keep the tracker alive Smile (if tracker goes down, your torrent won't work properly ...)

Decentralized tracking is one of the feature of the next version of azureus, which might be usefull for teams like you who don't want to bother with a tracker.

Now, if you ask for a recommendation on a tracker, the only one I really know is the Azureus one, and it requires a real access to the server, as it's an application to run (ie, it's not simply a php script) + if you don't have a physical access to the computer, you'll have to configure it with the command line interface ... so not really for beginers.

However, when correctly setup, adding a torrent to it is as simple as ftping the file to the correct directory ... (which is more or less what I did to host your torrents).

Considering the load that you have, and the number of files you're hosting, simply stick with the easiest tracker to use ...

Olivier
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject:

Gudy wrote:
Tracker definitely isn't a source of bottleneck, as long as you can keep the tracker alive Smile (if tracker goes down, your torrent won't work properly ...)

If the .torrent is very large, as was the case with the original for the RC, it can cause problems as you described in your message to me. I just picked up the new .torrent and it is much smaller and downloaded very quickly over a 33Kb/s connection.

Gudy wrote:

Decentralized tracking is one of the feature of the next version of azureus, which might be usefull for teams like you who don't want to bother with a tracker.

Sounds like a good feature for files to be shared among a few people. However, doing this with a project like NeoOffice/J might not be the best thing to do.

Gudy wrote:

However, when correctly setup, adding a torrent to it is as simple as ftping the file to the correct directory ... (which is more or less what I did to host your torrents).

That makes things very easy to initially seed a Torrent.

Gudy wrote:

Considering the load that you have, and the number of files you're hosting, simply stick with the easiest tracker to use ...

That appears to be a good suggestion. However, I started this conversation based upon the fact that NeoOffice/J's following is growing and the release of another Release Canidate or a Final product might overwelm Trinity. Also, the additional files and any patches were not hosted on the torrent, at all. Moving the files and their .torrents to another site was a good idea and I personally applaud this. Also setting up one site as the primary seed and making this 'official' keeps down the number of 'failure' points. I had to deal with multiple torrent hosts with a major Linux distribution and the lack of a primary tracker site led to several torrents and a very slow initial download until I discovered the torrent with the highest number of seeds and leachers, which took two tries.
Now I definately look forward to using the Torrent to get NeoOffice/J's much desired Final release and any Release Canidate's in between.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject:

Can someone please explain to me how I change the tracker URL in a torrent (or can Ed point them to http://trinity.neooffice.org/tracker/announce.php).

Now my patch-2 torrent is looking at http://aelitis.com:6969/announce Sad.

I am using 2.2.0.2. I must be more blonde than I thought..

Thanks in advance,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

This is because aelitis.com has offered to host and seed the torrent files.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

Patrick

I applaud this move. However, I have nto been able to find the tracker page where I can see how many seeds/peers are available for the torrents. I used to be able to do this at:
http://trinity.neooffice.org/tracker

I was able to download the new .torrent file very quickly.

Thank you.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

So I have spent an hour digging after a problem that isn't there.. Oh well Smile.

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject:

All:

Someone has a problem....I'm picking up an IP address on the RC torrent that is blackholed, namely 192.168.2.4. This address cannot be on the Internet as it is a private IP. Looks like someone is running Network Address Translation (NAT). It looks like some assistance is needed to get this site setup correctly. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience running a torrent through this type of system.

BTW, it appears that the problem was fixed as I ended up feeding both the patch-2 and RC to a new IP address.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2