Mirror Requirements

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Mirrors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Mirror Requirements

(first post, new here)

Ok, so i have webspace, but before I volunteer for mirroring, what are the extimated server space/ bandwidth requirements?

-jacob
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Right now space is usually about at 100 megs for each binary you want to host. The Neo source code runs 100 megs, NeoJ much smaller. You don't need to have them directly on the server to comply with GPL, just agree to provide people access to them for a "reasonable fee" or what have you Smile

As to bandwidth, since Neo's still a prototyping project it's still fairly limited. The real problem is that it's spiky right now and not sustained, but when it spikes it spikes. The moment that things get more functional (NeoJ'll be there first, I suspect) that may change. If you're thinking of setting something up, I'd recommend bandwidth-capping it from my experience to whatever seems reasonable for your needs or for what type of performance guarantee you'd like to give to users.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject:

Here are the exact sizes of the NeoOffice/J 0.0.1 binaries and source downloads:

NeoOfficeJ-0.0.1.dmg - 119326262 bytes
NeoOfficeJ-0.0.1.src.tar.gz - 492263 bytes

I expect that the next release will be sometime in October. Usually, when I do a release, I remove the old release from my website since I don't have enough space for two binaries.

If you decide to mirror NeoOffice/J (and that would be great if you did!), you can obtain the above 2 download files and their matching MD5 checksum files from here:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/

Also, if you are using an Apache web server, you might want to add the following lines to the .htaccess file that you put the download files into. These lines will prevent most browsers from treating the download files as plain text:

Code:
AddType application/octet-stream .dmg
AddType text/plain .md5

<Files *.gz.md5>
RemoveEncoding .gz
</Files>

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: @JakeOSX: Traffic

Hi Jake,

I've set up a mirror on July, 27th, and the most traffic was caused by the Code Red II-worm which tries to take control of my not-existant M$ IIS Wink

Thomas
Corrado Fiore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Newbie questions on setting up a mirror

Hi all,

I would like to donate a Linux virtual server (in US) to the Neooffice.org project. I'm quite a newbie in this field, so here you are some questions:

- Is there a list of the files to make available on the mirror?
- Are there any special instructions (on Apache configuration, etc.) apart from setting up the right MIME types?
- Will anonymous FTP work better (e.g. less CPU occupation) than Apache 1.3 with large files?
- How can I be notified of new releases (to keep my mirror up to date)? Shall I check by myself on the main site?

Thanks,
Corrado Fiore
Email: mailbox (AT) corradofiore (DOT) it
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...while Patrick could offer more suggestions, here's the gist of what I can get...

In general, mirrors should only have to worry about pulling down the major releases from the NeoOffice/J download site. These are the *big* boys, the 100 meggers. Once you get a mirror set up, get in touch with Patrick. We coordinate distribution of those large guys prior to posting anything publicly.

The patch dimages are mostly from Patrick's sites since we do autodirection with the advent of the torrents assisting in their distribution. The majority of the bandwidth is taken up from the main images.

When using a Linux server, I'm not sure if FTP or HTTP will be better. With HTTP you'll need to set up the appropriate MIME type for the "dmg" extension to deliver "application/octet-stream" so it doesn't show up as gibberish text in people's browsers who navigate to the link.

ed
Corrado_Fiore
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject:

Hi,

thanks for the info. I have one more question about bandwidth. I read on another post that 24 GB/month are going to finish in a couple of hours in a real world environment: Mad

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1306

I planned 50 GB/month but I wonder if it's enough. Seems like it isn't, right? Confused

Cheers,
Corrado
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject:

i have 50 gig a month for bandwidth and had to pull out because i tripled that in a week of 0.7's release.

i couldn't imagine what it is like now.

hell, the wiki alone nearly maxes me out.

this is good, right?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Mirrors All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1