· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Errors on Build
Errors on Build

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Errors on Build

Well I finally got all of the files from OpenOffice but when I go to build in either a terminal or Xterm session I get the following error:

checking for X... no
checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
configure: error: X Development libraries not found

I have installed the X11User file from Apple and am not able to find any X11 Server/Development 'stuff' on their site anymore. Any ideas on what I should do next except get Tiger (which I have in the box but I'm working on an educational discount which is available because the SO is a full time student)?

Thanks folks.

James

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Errors on Build

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Well I finally got all of the files from OpenOffice but when I go to build in either a terminal or Xterm session I get the following error:

checking for X... no
checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
configure: error: X Development libraries not found

I have installed the X11User file from Apple and am not able to find any X11 Server/Development 'stuff' on their site anymore. Any ideas on what I should do next except get Tiger (which I have in the box but I'm working on an educational discount which is available because the SO is a full time student)?

Thanks folks.

James

I hate answering my own questions but here goes:

1. You need to install both the X11 User and SDK files.
2. The X11 SDK is no longer available from Apple.com. Looks like it
might be included with Tiger (OSX 10.4) but I cannot install it at the
present time (see above).
3. I did manage to get the SDK from a third party site.
4. The build is running right now and we shall see what the outcome is. Razz

Thanks all.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:

You ought to have been able to get the SDK off of your OS Install or XCode CD.

That's how I got it. OTOH, I don't actually build anything that needs the X11 SDK Smile

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
You ought to have been able to get the SDK off of your OS Install or XCode CD.

That's how I got it. OTOH, I don't actually build anything that needs the X11 SDK Smile

Smokey

Well, I would have installed the X11 SDK from the install disks, but they are safely locked away and I was not where I could get to them. However, I've run into an OOo build problem. I decided to start over again, but the problem persists and here is the last of the build code where it breaks:

if ( -e ../unxmacxp.pro/slo/reg_description.o) touch ../unxmacxp.pro/slo/reg_description.obj
tr -d "\015" < reg.map | awk -f /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeTest/neojava/build/solenv/bin/addsym.awk > ../unxmacxp.pro/misc/reg_reg.map
------------------------------
Making: ../unxmacxp.pro/lib/libreg.dylib.3.1.0
cc -c -dynamic -o ../unxmacxp.pro/slo/reg_version.o -DUNX -DBUILD_OS_APPLEOSX -DBUILD_OS_MAJOR=10 -DBUILD_OS_MINOR=3 -DBUILD_OS_REV=9 -I../unxmacxp.pro/inc /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeTest/neojava/build/solenv/src/version.c
gcc -Wl,-multiply_defined,suppress -dynamiclib -single_module -install_name @executable_path/libreg.dylib.3 -L../unxmacxp.pro/lib -L/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeTest/neojava/build/solver/645/unxmacxp.pro/lib -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -o ../unxmacxp.pro/lib/libreg.dylib.3.1.0 -dylib_file @executable_path/libsal.dylib:/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeTest/neojava/build/solver/645/unxmacxp.pro/lib/libsal.dylib -dylib_file @executable_path/libstlport_gcc.dylib:/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeTest/neojava/build/solver/645/unxmacxp.pro/lib/libstlport_gcc.dylib -dylib_file @executable_path/libsalhelpergcc3.dylib:/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeTest/neojava/build/solver/645/unxmacxp.pro/lib/libsalhelpergcc3.dylib -dylib_file @executable_path/libsal.dylib.3:/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeTest/neojava/build/solver/645/unxmacxp.pro/lib/libsal.dylib.3 -dylib_file @executable_path/libstore.dylib:/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeTest/neojava/build/solver/645/unxmacxp.pro/lib/libstore.dylib -lsal -lsalhelpergcc3 -lstore -lpthread -lm -lstlport_gcc -lstdc++ -filelist ../unxmacxp.pro/misc/libreg.dylib.3.1.list
ld: Undefined symbols:
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
_STL::_Swap_lock_struct<0>::_S_swap_lock
dmake: Error code 1, while making '../unxmacxp.pro/lib/libreg.dylib.3.1.0'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeTest/neojava/build/registry/util
make: *** [build.oo_all] Error 1

This happens whether I'm in a terminal session or whether I'm in an Xterm session (which I think is just Terminal anyway.)

Also, to preclude having to download everything again, I've tarballed the installation.

I am using gcc 3.3, X11 and X11 SDK.

Any ideas?

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject:

Welcome to the OOo build process! Getting OOo to build on Mac OS X is a constant hassle and there is always some change to the code for Linux or Windows that makes OOo no longer buildable on Mac OS X.

I don't have an answer but when and if you figure it out, please put your "cvs diff -u" into Bugzilla so that it can go back in the build.

If you are serious about building Neo/J, you really should make scouring the dev@porting.openoffice.org mailing list archives a habit as that is usually the first place these type of build issues are first noticed.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If you are serious about building Neo/J, you really should make scouring the dev@porting.openoffice.org mailing list archives a habit as that is usually the first place these type of build issues are first noticed.

Note that all the Mac people on dev@porting are building 1.9.x (aka 2.0) right now, so you might have to go back in the archives a ways to find the last time they were building the 645 (1.1.x) series.

Also, Dan's old build instructions for 1.1.1 are here, in case they might be useful.

OTOH, that it won't build out of the box anymore might be a sign that there's work going on for the mythical 1.1.5 Smile

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject:

And one wonders why I've been frustrated since, well, I've started.

You may want to check to see what version of gcc3.3 is being used (gcc --version).

I am unaware of any compile problems with 3.3. The initial Apple gcc 3.1 release was a dog though. OOo would compile with certain builds but not others.

And people wonder why we don't have more contributing developers Wink

FWIW, I consider the process of compiling OOo (even as a subset of NeoJ) as a "trial by fire". If folks can put up with getting it to build, it's the first step. The second step is actually being able to use a command line debugger and to solve an outstanding bug in either the OOo or NeoJ code. If someone is willing to go through the absolute *frustration* of those two processes, well, chances are that person will become a great programmer and contributor to NeoJ/OOo.

No offense, but the guys doing 2.0 X11 are barely at the "building" stage. They have yet to make a significant code bugfix for Mac OS X. While getting this bear of an application to build is a Herculean task in and of itself, it's very unfortunate; simply learning how to do a build doesn't teach one the skills they need to actually dive into the code and start finding horrendous things like misaligned PPC structures Wink

I'm heartened by the fact you're asking questions and don't seem to be discouraged that there's no easy answer and aren't afraid to go poking about yourself. I hope it's not discouraging for you, but it doesn't get any easier. 8 million lines plus is way too much code for any single person to digest enough to be able to answer every question Sad

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
And one wonders why I've been frustrated since, well, I've started.

You may want to check to see what version of gcc3.3 is being used (gcc --version).

Here goes:

gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1666)
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

OPENSTEP wrote:
I am unaware of any compile problems with 3.3. The initial Apple gcc 3.1 release was a dog though. OOo would compile with certain builds but not others.

OOo 1.1.4 needs gcc 3.3 and will not even start to compile with gcc 3.1 or gcc 3.2. I'm guessing that gcc 3.4 might add its own set of problems. Of course, the current available CVS may NEED gcc 3.4 to compile properly.

OPENSTEP wrote:
And people wonder why we don't have more contributing developers Wink

Try some of the 'fun' I've dealt with in Linux with a program called Software Suspend 2. I had to built over twenty kernels with various configurations and I got it to work for hibernation, however putting the system to sleep did not. At least OOo and NeoJ did not completely erase the root or / directory.

OPENSTEP wrote:
FWIW, I consider the process of compiling OOo (even as a subset of NeoJ) as a "trial by fire". If folks can put up with getting it to build, it's the first step. The second step is actually being able to use a command line debugger and to solve an outstanding bug in either the OOo or NeoJ code. If someone is willing to go through the absolute *frustration* of those two processes, well, chances are that person will become a great programmer and contributor to NeoJ/OOo.

Not a problem. However, it takes quite some time to download and buid OOo. Getting code for NeoJ takes about an hour or so. Not so with OOo.

OPENSTEP wrote:
No offense, but the guys doing 2.0 X11 are barely at the "building" stage. They have yet to make a significant code bugfix for Mac OS X. While getting this bear of an application to build is a Herculean task in and of itself, it's very unfortunate; simply learning how to do a build doesn't teach one the skills they need to actually dive into the code and start finding horrendous things like misaligned PPC structures Wink

I think they are just trying to get a build to work completely. If they get past this point, they can start to clean-up the code.

OPENSTEP wrote:
I'm heartened by the fact you're asking questions and don't seem to be discouraged that there's no easy answer and aren't afraid to go poking about yourself. I hope it's not discouraging for you, but it doesn't get any easier. 8 million lines plus is way too much code for any single person to digest enough to be able to answer every question Sad

I don't know if you are talking about Patrick, another person, or myself, but in all cases, thank you. However, I don't want to 'reinvent' the wheel, or look for a fixed problem. I think that this is why this forum exists, to discuss problems experienced when building NeoOffice/J, especially if the problem may come from prior patches when applied to newer OOo code cause new errors. I think that Patrick is trying to state that the error that I reported is not due to any of the existing patches to the OOo code for NeoOffice/J.

I will have to look through the dev archives and see if there is a patch/fix if the straight RC build does not work.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject:

Ya know that I hate regression errors. After a lengthy search of the dev@porting.openoffice.org site, I found the answer was to 'edit' the regimpl.cxx file. This should remove the problem, if the build does not 'fix' the patch I applied.

James
(Why are these problems not easy to solve and why do regression errors happen?)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Why are these problems not easy to solve and why do regression errors happen?)

There are several reasons:
1. Sun's engineers do not build on Mac OS X so changes for Windows or Linux can easily break the build on Mac OS X.
2. Sun routinely does not merge Mac OS X fixes into the next build. The patch that you found was integrated in the OOo 1.1.3 code and then wasn't merged into the OOo 1.1.4 code.
3. What compiles on Jaguar (my build environment) may not build on Panther. Many of the dev@porting.openoffice.org builders have found many problems when compiling on Panther. OTOH, I build on Jaguar so that Neo/J will run on Jaguar or higher and I see very few of the compiler problems that exist on Panther.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Why are these problems not easy to solve and why do regression errors happen?)

There are several reasons:
1. Sun's engineers do not build on Mac OS X so changes for Windows or Linux can easily break the build on Mac OS X.

That's true for many projects. However, I found code for the Mac that should not be there even after the patches were posted.

pluby wrote:

2. Sun routinely does not merge Mac OS X fixes into the next build. The patch that you found was integrated in the OOo 1.1.3 code and then wasn't merged into the OOo 1.1.4 code.

That's why my comment. I've worked with many operating systems (remember OS/2? I still have my Warp and Warp 4.0 CD's. One patch and I can reinstall it and then spend the rest of the day getting the rest of the 'fixes'. However, a fix from FixPack 1 stays until either superceeded or it is no longer needed.) It urks me when I find a patch that is two years old that was not moved into the mainstream.

[quote="pluby]
3. What compiles on Jaguar (my build environment) may not build on Panther. Many of the dev@porting.openoffice.org builders have found many problems when compiling on Panther. OTOH, I build on Jaguar so that Neo/J will run on Jaguar or higher and I see very few of the compiler problems that exist on Panther.
[/quote]

Hmmm. Maybe that is my problem. However, I was following the "Will not build 1.1.4 on XCode 1.5 thread on dev@porting. Maybe I have to go back to it as I now have a new error....
Such is the 'fun' of building on a 'different' platform with tools that the OO team never planned on. BTW, I'm building on 10.3.9 (I think that is Jaguar, but I'm not certain.)

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
BTW, I'm building on 10.3.9 (I think that is Jaguar, but I'm not certain.)

FYI. Jaguar = 10.2.x, Panther = 10.3.x, and Tiger = 10.4.x. Many new OS libraries were added or enhanced in Panther so compiling on Panther is very different than on Jaguar (I run 10.2.8 as my build machine).

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

FYI. Jaguar = 10.2.x, Panther = 10.3.x, and Tiger = 10.4.x. Many new OS libraries were added or enhanced in Panther so compiling on Panther is very different than on Jaguar (I run 10.2.8 as my build machine).

Thank you for the explanation. Now, I have a different error, but I think this is due to a different problem. I can build registry (where I got the original error) but now udkapi will not build completely. I'm thinking that code is missing because I get a series of .zip files are missing. However, I'm going to clean the unxmacxp.pro directory and try again.

Just in case you are interested, I did the registry/source/regimpl.cxx 'hack'.

=============
Building project udkapi
=============
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeBuild/neojava/build/udkapi/com/sun/star/util/logging
mkout -- version: 1.3
idlc @/tmp/mkW9Appp
*** malloc[29742]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x357b; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
Segmentation fault
dmake: Error code 139, while making '../../../../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/urd_cssulog.don'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeBuild/neojava/build/udkapi/com/sun/star/util/logging

I will check the dev@porting.openoffice.org mailing list for possible fixes. If a fix does exist, I definately would like to know.

Well, I updated to the November 2004 gcc 3.3 version. This eliminated the need for the registry/source/regimpl.cxx patch. However, I get a different error, but of the same type. I'm wondering why I'm getting free() errors:

*** malloc[24434]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x357b; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
dmake: Error code 139, while making '../../../../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/urd_cssiop.don'

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeBuild/neojava/build/udkapi/com/sun/star/corba/iop

Any ideas?

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. Now, I have a different error, but I think this is due to a different problem. I can build registry (where I got the original error) but now udkapi will not build completely. I'm thinking that code is missing because I get a series of .zip files are missing. However, I'm going to clean the unxmacxp.pro directory and try again.

Just in case you are interested, I did the registry/source/regimpl.cxx 'hack'.

=============
Building project udkapi
=============
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeBuild/neojava/build/udkapi/com/sun/star/util/logging
mkout -- version: 1.3
idlc @/tmp/mkW9Appp
*** malloc[29742]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x357b; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
Segmentation fault
dmake: Error code 139, while making '../../../../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/urd_cssulog.don'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeBuild/neojava/build/udkapi/com/sun/star/util/logging

I will check the dev@porting.openoffice.org mailing list for possible fixes. If a fix does exist, I definately would like to know.

Well, I updated to the November 2004 gcc 3.3 version. This eliminated the need for the registry/source/regimpl.cxx patch. However, I get a different error, but of the same type. I'm wondering why I'm getting free() errors:

*** malloc[24434]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x357b; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
dmake: Error code 139, while making '../../../../../unxmacxp.pro/misc/urd_cssiop.don'

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeBuild/neojava/build/udkapi/com/sun/star/corba/iop

Any ideas?

Found the answer to this problem with a patch to the sal project. I've successfully built and installed SRX645_m56 (a candidate for 1.1.5 with sound included but not tested.) I now am working on a build of SRX645_m57 which I will try and patch with the code for NeoOffice/J.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1