Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - May The Fourth Be With You...
May The Fourth Be With You...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: May The Fourth Be With You...

I am weak...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Your Foruth is weak when compared to the power of my cinquo de mayo.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject:

If cinquo de mayo workth for you, it workth foruth... vaya con risitas
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject:

...and today we have our exciting General Election - I wonder who's going to run Britain next?
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
...and today we have our exciting General Election - I wonder who's going to run Britain next?

Is that run or ruin? Wink

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:

My money is that it'll be Al Gore. Oh wait...

ed <--- stupid American Laughing
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
yoxi wrote:

Is that run or ruin? Wink

My brother and I are praying that the Lib-Dems make enough gains so that Britain has to get a coalition government because single party can fetch a majority.

We'd both be glued to BBC to see the machiavellian wrangling that would ensue Smile.

- Oscar (who feels that Teflon Tony is still a whole lot better than Bush or Berlusconi)

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
My money is that it'll be Al Gore. Oh wait...

ed <--- stupid American Laughing

It's too bad we got Bushed....

And I really don't like the idea of a Colition Government. Italy has had them for years and they seem to break apart under pressure forcing votes at an alarming rate (and just when you wanted to take a vacation, you have to stay home and vote.)

James
A well travelled American (Been there, done that, and I have a drawer of T-Shirts that no longer fit)
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
And I really don't like the idea of a Colition Government. Italy has had them for years and they seem to break apart under pressure forcing votes at an alarming rate (and just when you wanted to take a vacation, you have to stay home and vote.)

No way. I'll defer to Fabrizio as needed, but IMHO Italy doesn't have much of a functioning democracy anymore. Something like 90% of broadcast media are directly or indirectly in the hands of the ruling government. The prime minister uses his majority to protecthimself for corruption charges.

For a functioning model, see Germany, the Netherlands or Sweden.

I just meant that British politics are not used to coalition governments and given the style of debated in the Commons, we would have been in for a some smashing TV.

Of course, the BBC exit poll has not given me much hope for such entertainment.

yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Nah, we've still got a Labour government, but 'only just'... well, they've got enough of a majority on paper, but the tories picked up a lot of votes this time round. Not all the votes are counted yet, but - Labour red, Tory blue, LibDem yellow, SNP dark turqouise, Plaid Cymru dark green:

It all looks bluer than it really is - most of the rural areas that voted Tory are low population, London (12% of population) is chiefly Labour, etc. The thing is, Cambridge where I live just went from Labour to LibDem - and actually I have no idea what the significance of that will be locally. but the LibDem won by 4500 votes, and only 62% of the voters turned up to vote, so that's about 27,000 uncast votes, just in our sleepy little town. And apparently, 62% is a relatively good showing. What's the matter with us Brits?

- yoxi
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
It all looks bluer than it really is - most of the rural areas that voted Tory are low population, London (12% of population) is chiefly Labour, etc. The thing is, Cambridge where I live just went from Labour to LibDem - and actually I have no idea what the significance of that will be locally. but the LibDem won by 4500 votes, and only 62% of the voters turned up to vote, so that's about 27,000 uncast votes, just in our sleepy little town. And apparently, 62% is a relatively good showing. What's the matter with us Brits?

Given the lackluster and narrow campaigning, I'm not surprised. In any case you shouldn't be. Even countries with a very well functioning democracy get about 80-85%. And if you go to a pub and try to talk to people about politics , getting 60% to care for what you said is quite a lot Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Given the lackluster and narrow campaigning, I'm not surprised. In any case you shouldn't be. Even countries with a very well functioning democracy get about 80-85%. And if you go to a pub and try to talk to people about politics , getting 60% to care for what you said is quite a lot Smile.

Even here in the United States, with a great deal on the line, only 65% showed up to cast their desires.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Cool district map! Man, I miss England. I've only visited a handful of times but have had a great time. I really dream of living on a nice farm near Carmarthan.

Out of curiousity, does the British system have anything akin to redistricting or gerrymandering? They're things that are done in US politics...the party that's in power has the ability to redraw the boundaries of each individual district and can tilt the districts by splitting strongholds of the other party between two districts. I think the only gerrymandering that's been declared "illegal" occurs when the new boundaries explicitly seem to be on racial lines (e.g. splitting whites and blacks).

ed
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Cool district map! Man, I miss England. I've only visited a handful of times but have had a great time. I really dream of living on a nice farm near Carmarthan.

Out of curiousity, does the British system have anything akin to redistricting or gerrymandering? They're things that are done in US politics...the party that's in power has the ability to redraw the boundaries of each individual district and can tilt the districts by splitting strongholds of the other party between two districts. I think the only gerrymandering that's been declared "illegal" occurs when the new boundaries explicitly seem to be on racial lines (e.g. splitting whites and blacks).

ed

The redrawing of voting boundaries occurs reasonably frequently here - in fact, a lot of the Scottish boroughs were redrawn for this election. However, I am not too sure just how much control the ruling party has in where those boundaries are placed - I believe it is done by an independent body. This probably started happening when they finally decided to sort out the "rotten boroughs" that used to occur in the 18th/19th century which sometimes only had a few households in them and a few were actually submerged below coastal water!

Rotten boroughs

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
MrGruff
Operator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Gerrymandering

The Boundary Commission keeps an eye on constituency sizes, but it works on a rolling basis and responds to changes in population rather than anything else. There have been occasions when changes to boundaries have resulted in some MPs losing seats at subsequent elections, but I can't recall anyone making a big fuss about it.

The real hoo-ha this time round has been possible fraud involving postal voting.

(Carmarthen's OK, but it isn't in England.)

Mr Gruff <----- whose Welsh ancestry is showing.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1