· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J first timer reaction
NeoOffice/J first timer reaction

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
sigh. i don't like access.

I've found that you can do just about anything with Access. But it's not cross-platform.

What do you use instead for desktop database programming?
MacUser-WinPgmr
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
Quote:
In a subform linked to the main form via Link master fields/Link slave fields, the subform displays all records with NeoOffice, not just those for the current master form's record. The only way I could get this to work was to enter an SQL statement that explicitly filtered out the other records using WHERE =:

Ah ok, yes this is true. But I think is correct in subform: you build a query and when you finish it, open the SQL window and add a WHERE <field of the main form> = variable:

f.

Thanks, that works. Interesting to note that it doesn't work in Base. In Base, it must be smart enough to filter out records in the query that don't match the field specified in Link master fields; the query doesn't have to do this. If you use a parameter query like this in Base, it prompts you for the parameter value.

I've noticed other differences between NeoOffice and OO Base. I can't seem to add more than one table to a NeoOffice query (using dBASE files), whereas Base doesn't seem to have this limitation.

Also, can't seem to figure out how to use expressions in a NeoOffice query, whereas this is easy in Base.

Also, how do you copy all these queries that have been laboriously created to a different installation?

In all of these differences, Base appears to be the winner. After working with it for a while, going back to NeoOffice's Data Sources feels wrong, with no sense of where these queries are even being stored. No help in the help on finding or transferring them.
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I've noticed other differences between NeoOffice and OO Base. I can't seem to add more than one table to a NeoOffice query (using dBASE files), whereas Base doesn't seem to have this limitation.

Using mysql you can add all the tables you need. I think you can not do this with dbase, 'cause dbase cannot have relations between tables.

Quote:

Also, can't seem to figure out how to use expressions in a NeoOffice query, whereas this is easy in Base.

This is a good news. Actually the only way to do this in neooffice is using sql window.

Quote:

Also, how do you copy all these queries that have been laboriously created to a different installation?

You have to copy the .../user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/DataAccess.xcu file. There is an add on that make this kind of works, anyway.

Even if openoffice 2 base is better than neooffice module, I do no think I'll leave neooffice for openoffice 2, until pluby found a patron for work to neooffice/j 2

f.
MacUser-WinPgmr
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

You have to copy the .../user/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/DataAccess.xcu file. There is an add on that make this kind of works, anyway.

Even if openoffice 2 base is better than neooffice module, I do no think I'll leave neooffice for openoffice 2, until pluby found a patron for work to neooffice/j 2

f.

Ah yes, I found them. Is this actually documented anywhere? I couldn't find anything in the help.

Wouldn't you rather have this and a lot of other things securely stored in a single .odb file? I sure would.
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ah yes, I found them. Is this actually documented anywhere? I couldn't find anything in the help.

I asked in italian openoffice mailing list.
Quote:

Wouldn't you rather have this and a lot of other things securely stored in a single .odb file? I sure would.

Oh yes, but I use the database, and write, and calc and draw... actually Oo x11 1.1.2 for macintosh is faster than neooffice, but it have a lot of little problems: it do not use the quartz rendering font system, it (oblivious) have CRTL- instead APPLE- key, the 'open file' window do not remember last position and -if resized- delete all the text outside the screen, the menubar is quite slow, etceterae... and the is not support on it, while pluby is debugging his neooffice, I never see a Oo >1.1.2 for x11.

I use neooffice in my office everyday, and I'll keep using it until there'll be a Oo 2.x well integrated with osx, or -at least- useable like other x11 application (Im quite impressed by gimp for example). If next Oo for x11 will be a good application, with a good support and well-integrated with osx, well I could leave neooffice for it.
But I fear it could be a neooffice/j 2.0 Wink

f.
MacUser-WinPgmr
Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I use neooffice in my office everyday, and I'll keep using it until there'll be a Oo 2.x well integrated with osx, or -at least- useable like other x11 application (Im quite impressed by gimp for example). If next Oo for x11 will be a good application, with a good support and well-integrated with osx, well I could leave neooffice for it.
But I fear it could be a neooffice/j 2.0 Wink
f.

NeoOffice 2 would be great. Right now I don't think there's any reason to hurry. With the number of bugs posted for Base alone, I would be surprised if 2.0 were released any time soon.

Having said that, 2.0's Base looks better and better the more I work with it. Although I haven't found much API documentation for Base, I've managed to figure out how to start Base remotely (via Automation on Windows) and change its data source remotely. This means it could be used as a reporting engine with other software, similar to the way I use MS Office currently. The fact that it's cross-platform makes it just that much better.
MacUser-WinPgmr
Agent

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:

With a "report" document in NeoOffice, there doesn't seem to be any way of saving a snapshot of more than one record. Exporting to PDF, either with File | Export To PDF or File | Print's Save As PDF only exports the current record. Unfortunately this really limits its usefulness. Imagine if you could only print one page of a Writer document at a time.

Is there any workaround for this?
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
With a "report" document in NeoOffice, there doesn't seem to be any way of saving a snapshot of more than one record. Exporting to PDF, either with File | Export To PDF or File | Print's Save As PDF only exports the current record. Unfortunately this really limits its usefulness. Imagine if you could only print one page of a Writer document at a time.

sorry I do not understand your problem. If I select a query and build a report from the query, I got a write document with all the query's records.

f.
MacUser-WinPgmr
Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject:

sorry I do not understand your problem. If I select a query and build a report from the query, I got a write document with all the query's records.
f.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

I mean I can only print one form record. Query-based table subforms in the form include all of the queried records.

The form has several table subforms. The form has a one-to-many relationship with the subforms. When I print I get all the subform records that match the current form's link field, but only for the currently viewed form record. That is, there should be a page for each record in the form's source rather than just the currently viewed form record. To print the form's other records, I have to use the navigation (VCR) controls to move to each record and print it.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2