· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice & closing last document
NeoOffice & closing last document

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vincent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice & closing last document

Since Patch 1 or 2 of NeoOffice 1.1RC, NeoOffice won't quit anymore when closing the last document. It was presented as a « Mac OS X like behaviour ».

I agree completely with NeoOffice not quitting even when closing the last document, but I am a little bit disappointed with the current behaviour.

When closing the last document, we are currently left with an empty gray window. I think this is not a « Mac OS X like behaviour » at all. NeoOffice should not quit, but no window should be on screen when closing the last document.

Activating the application again (through the Dock) should just activate the menu so the user can create a new document.

Just my thoughts, hope it can help Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, the underlying OpenOffice.org code was not programmed with Mac OS X in mind. The behavior of the grey window was a "stupid" work-around invented by the OOo engineers to fix a Windows and Linux problem (applications can not exist without an open window in Windows and X-Windows), so the stupid window can't be removed.

Patrick was very lucky in happening upon the code that caused Neo/J to quit on closing the last window, which is the best compromise behavior available. If OOo were more Mac-friendly, then we might be able to get the OOo code to behave properly on the Mac.... For now, though, this is our best option....

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject:

Maybe you could just minimize the empty window to the Dock or scale it to 1x1 automatically and scale it back after the user opens a new document? Or scale it to a small window with "click to open a new file or drop a file to open"? I know these are all a little strange options, but IMHO better than big empty window.

BaoEr
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject:

BaoEr wrote:
Maybe you could just minimize the empty window to the Dock or scale it to 1x1 automatically and scale it back after the user opens a new document? Or scale it to a small window with "click to open a new file or drop a file to open"? I know these are all a little strange options, but IMHO better than big empty window.

I just hit command-H..

rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

I just hit command-H..

Me too.
BaoEr

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject:

Yes, me too. But it was not my point.
The original post said that when you close a document in a mac app, the window should be gone.
Ovvldc's reply was, it is not technically possible (for now).
I just said more mac-like behavoir could be achieved even without completely closing the window. Something like StuffIt Expander does, for example.

Anyway, NeoOffice is a great application. These are just small details to better blend in. Wether they are worth implementing is up to you guys. Smile
Vincent

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject:

I can understand that a window is always needed when you want to interact with the OS (to receive message from Windows for example).

But many applications do not even show this window, and you never have to display it. Maybe this last window on OpenOffice.org could be hidden automatically ?
Vincent

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject:

Oh, apparently, it is being corrected...
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject:

And a test patch was announced here:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1400&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1