Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Where is Java Runtime Engine rt.jar on a Mac
Where is Java Runtime Engine rt.jar on a Mac

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Where is Java Runtime Engine rt.jar on a Mac

All:

I have been working on a clean build for OOo X11 and found the following in the MacOSX.env and Macosx.Env.sh files:

CLASSPATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home/jre/lib/rt.jar

I know what the file is and it's purpose in life. However, I've had continuous problems building the udkapi project/package. I think it is associated with an improper setting. Also, is this file actually used in/on a Mac build?

And at the present time, I am working on a rebuild of my PBG4 by installing Tiger with a reformat of the hard drive.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject:

Yes, the rt.jar is used in the build. I'm not sure whether or not that CLASSPATH is used for the java VM that's invoked to run ant or the other Java tools in the build or if it's passed to javac on the command line. Either way the path should be set correctly. I'm not sure if the framework paths are changed on Tiger; I haven't installed the 1.5 update either. I also honestly haven't done my full OOo X11 builds on Tiger yet myself as whenever I do the X11 build (either standalone or substrate) I flip back to 10.2. I know if I build it on 10.2 I won't be introducing any dependencies that prevent it from running on newer OSes.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Yes, the rt.jar is used in the build. I'm not sure whether or not that CLASSPATH is used for the java VM that's invoked to run ant or the other Java tools in the build or if it's passed to javac on the command line. Either way the path should be set correctly. I'm not sure if the framework paths are changed on Tiger; I haven't installed the 1.5 update either. I also honestly haven't done my full OOo X11 builds on Tiger yet myself as whenever I do the X11 build (either standalone or substrate) I flip back to 10.2. I know if I build it on 10.2 I won't be introducing any dependencies that prevent it from running on newer OSes.

Ed:

Interesting. This file does not exist on my system, in the directory specified in the JAVA_HOME area. I'll keep looking for it.

UPDATE: This file does not exist on my system when I use sudo find / -name 'rt.jar'. Maybe the command is incorrect.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject:

Just a wild random guess (since IANADev): do you have all of the relevant SDKs installed? I know once when I did an XCode/devtools update I had to grab a Java SDK to keep things in sync with the Java version installed on my Mac....

Edit: Yeah, don't think that's it, because I don't have the file on 10.3.9 + XCode 1.5 + X11 SDK and whatever Java SDK that was.... I know I don't have all the deps to build OOo, though....

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject:

[quote="sardisson"]Just a wild random guess (since IANADev): do you have all of the relevant SDKs installed? I know once when I did an XCode/devtools update I had to grab a Java SDK to keep things in sync with the Java version installed on my Mac....

Edit: Yeah, don't think that's it, because I don't have the file on 10.3.9 + XCode 1.5 + X11 SDK and whatever Java SDK that was.... I know I don't have all the deps to build OOo, though....
[\quote]

Smokey:

I'm on Tiger (MacOSX 10.4) and installed the Java SDK (1.4.2_07) and it was not there. I definately would not want to install a complete J2SDK in order to run java programs. I think this is a serious oversight on Apple's part unless they have another method to invoke the Java RunTime engine (that's what is in the rt.jar file.)

James
[/i]
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:

To build NeoJ, for sure you need to have the Java SDK installed to get the headers to embed VMs into other processes. OOo as well does do embedded VMs, and 2.0 in fact requires them for Base, the wizards, etc. In order to build them you'll need to get the Java SDK.

I think they took Patrick's 1.4 Java support into OOo 2.0, but I don't know since they have orphaned/abandoned many of his other patches Sad You may need to get the 1.3 JDK.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject:

[quote="OPENSTEP"]To build NeoJ, for sure you need to have the Java SDK installed to get the headers to embed VMs into other processes. OOo as well does do embedded VMs, and 2.0 in fact requires them for Base, the wizards, etc. In order to build them you'll need to get the Java SDK.

I think they took Patrick's 1.4 Java support into OOo 2.0, but I don't know since they have orphaned/abandoned many of his other patches Sad You may need to get the 1.3 JDK.
[\quote]

Ed:

Ok. I don't know if there is a 1.3 SDK for Tiger. I'm looking at Patrick's patches for NeoOffice and I'm also looking at some gcc 4.0 patches in addition. It may be that OOo and NeoOffice are using the 'wrong' compiler too.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Ok. I don't know if there is a 1.3 SDK for Tiger. I'm looking at Patrick's patches for NeoOffice and I'm also looking at some gcc 4.0 patches in addition. It may be that OOo and NeoOffice are using the 'wrong' compiler too.

For my builds, Java 1.4.1 is the default JVM on my machine and I have the Java 1.4.x SDK installed so that the JNI headers are available. In other words, you shouldn't need the 1.3.x SDK.

Also, I use gcc 3.3 so maybe the default gcc version on Tiger is the wrong version?

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject:

[quote="pluby"]
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

For my builds, Java 1.4.1 is the default JVM on my machine and I have the Java 1.4.x SDK installed so that the JNI headers are available. In other words, you shouldn't need the 1.3.x SDK.

Also, I use gcc 3.3 so maybe the default gcc version on Tiger is the wrong version?
[\quote]

Thanks Patrick.

I had to use gcc_select 3.3 to get the 'correct' gcc as the configure script will 'bomb' out with an error message. I did notice that you are using cc and c++ vice the 'g' equivalents. I think that I read about a problem using the Darwin versions of these programs. It may be time to edit the configure script to avoid the 'g' versions. However, I have yet to start building after I cleaned off my PBG4.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:

Yes, definitely stick with gcc 3.3 for now (the same version that was the last version on Panther). The gcc_select command actually switches which version is used when you just type "gcc" at the command line...as well as all of the libraries and headers that get used for the stdlib and runtime as well. I don't know if anyone within OOo has bothered compiling on gcc 4 yet. From moving between gcc 2 and gcc 3, I expect there to be problems. I believe the C++ ABI changed with gcc4 which will mean some gnarly assembly UNO work will need to be done. Keep an eye on Kevin & LinuxPPC as it's essentially the same compiler and he's got mad skills. He's done our OS X ABI work in the past Smile

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject:

[quote="OPENSTEP"]Yes, definitely stick with gcc 3.3 for now (the same version that was the last version on Panther). The gcc_select command actually switches which version is used when you just type "gcc" at the command line...as well as all of the libraries and headers that get used for the stdlib and runtime as well. I don't know if anyone within OOo has bothered compiling on gcc 4 yet. From moving between gcc 2 and gcc 3, I expect there to be problems. I believe the C++ ABI changed with gcc4 which will mean some gnarly assembly UNO work will need to be done. Keep an eye on Kevin & LinuxPPC as it's essentially the same compiler and he's got mad skills. He's done our OS X ABI work in the past Smile
[\quote]

Yes, I've been tracking the latest on the IZ. Looks like Kevin is real busy and squashing gcc 4.0 'bugs'. I will stick with cc/c++ for now as it appears that gcc is still 'broken' and does not want to work correctly in some situations.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1