Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Spelling
Spelling

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kristoff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Spelling

I just tried NeoOffice/J for the first time (printtest7) and is it me, or is spelling checking completely non-fuctional?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject:

NeoJ relies on the OpenOffice.org code to do spellchecking. What I have noticed is that the OpenOffice.org code disables the Tools->Spellcheck menu item when you have a document open in "read-only" mode.

In editable documents, the menu item is enabled and spellchecking works for me although only the English dictionary and thesauras are in this NeoJ release.

Patrick
nedrichards
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Patrick, don't you mean English (US) Smile

Looking forward to 1.1 for the English (UK) integration.

Also since Neo is fully GPl can't we pacakge all the dictionaries with it? Since the main issue with most of them is that they're GPL and thus can't go into an LGPL tree. Combining all the spellchecking with the out of box localisation would be a real win for Neo/J.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject:

nedrichards wrote:
Also since Neo is fully GPl can't we pacakge all the dictionaries with it? Since the main issue with most of them is that they're GPL and thus can't go into an LGPL tree. Combining all the spellchecking with the out of box localisation would be a real win for Neo/J.

I know that you can drop in the help files for other languages. I assume that you can also drop in the dictionary and thesaurus files for other languages as well. I believe that the files are available here:

http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/download_dictionary.html

As for including all of the supported languages, adding all of the help, dictionary, and thesaurus files for all languages would easily baloon the download to 300 megabytes or more. So, like OOo, I haven't really tried to integrate these files.

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject:

Good morning,

after reading this thread, I've tried to enable german spell checking (with NeoOffice/J 0.7), and it works!

I've downloaded the language pack zip-file for OOo 1.01 from http://de.openoffice.org/spellcheck/about-spellcheck.html (I suppose, you must only replace the de with your language code to get your language) and extracted it to /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/.

Then I've started NeoOffice/J, made my liguistic-settings for german (Extras/Options/Language Settings) and it works.

The language pack for all languages is available at the above URL, too (16MB).

UPDATE: I've posted a short article to this topic on trinity's start page. Patrick, may be it would be a good idea to add this point to the NeoOffice/J FAQ site?

Thomas
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Installer-Package-Download for german spell-checking

Meanwhile, I've assembled a little Installer for the german spell-checking (2,5MB). It can be downloaded at

http://schlesi.is-a-geek.org:8080/NeoOffice/Dt_Rechtschr_NeoJ.dmg

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject:

Thomas,

Thanks for gathering all of this information. This will really help imporve NeoJ's language support. If you can send me the English and German text, I can add them to the NeoJ FAQ page. Before you write the text, please see my installation comments below.

Your installer looks good. However, there is one slight problem: if you install NeoJ in a directory other than "/Applications", NeoJ won't see the files that your installer installs. Sad

For those that have NeoJ installed in a directory than "/Applications", you can install the localized dictionary and thesaurus files for all languages are included in the following zip file:

http://www.icg-online.de/OOo/LangPack_Full.zip

Download this file and execute the following commands to install:

Code:
cd <NeoJ installation directory>/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents
sudo unzip <path to downloaded zip file>

After installing the files, you need to edit the following file and uncomment the desired languages before restarting NeoJ:

Code:

<NeoJ installation directory>/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/share/dict/ooo/dictionary.lst

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

I've made the installer with Apple's PackageMaker from the developer tools. I've thought of the possibility of another installation folder and set the "Relocatable" flag in the package description to allow the user to select an other installation directory. What I didn't check is, that *.app-directories can't be selected for installation Crying or Very sad

I've also looked for a free alternative to Apple's PackageMaker at versiontracker.com, but I didn't find anything.

So, one solution could be to use an installation script that searchs the installation directory of NeoOffice/J and copies the files to this destination. I think, this approach is not very senseful because of time-consuming directory searching.

Another approach would be to write a dedicated installation application which allows the user to select *app-directories for installation, too and could do the editing of the dictionary.lst.

But my favorite suggestion is: the language-pack could be included in the NeoOffice/J-package, so there would be no need to execute an additional setup for localisation.

What do you think?

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject:

One possible solution is to use a "preflight" script to check if the user has selected an installation directory that matches the NeoJ installation directory.

Check out the neojava/bin/preflight script in the CVS repository for an example. To bundle a "preflight" script, you need to put the script in a folder, chmod +rx the script, and select the folder as the "Resources" folder in PackageMaker.

Important: make sure you properly quote all script variables as they may contain path with spaces. Also, you may want to follow my approach of making the default installation directory just "/Applications". That way, you can search for a NeoOfficej.app subdirectory in your preflight script.

One last note, before you run PackageMaker, I suggest that you chmod all of the directory that contains the installation files with chmod -Rf a-w,a+r to ensure that when the files are installed, they are read-only for all users.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Thomas,

I have adding stripping of the *.dylib and *.bin files to the NeoJ build. This stripping has reduced the size of the download by many megabytes.

Since the download size will be smaller, I would like to add the localized dictionaries and thesauri to the download (about 16 MB).

To make it easy to install, I was planning on enabling all of the available dictionaries and thesauri listed in the dictionary.lst file.

Have you found any problems with this approach? I would think that the enabled dictionaries and thesauri are not actually loaded until the user selects each one of them in Tools->Options.

Patrick
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

I've installed a language-pack including danish, german (several versions), english (several versions), french (several versions), italian (several versions) and russian spell-checking.

I've used ony the german (germany) spell-checking, no problems were encountered, but I didn't make extensive use of that.

Thomas
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Thomas,

I uncommented all of the DICT, THES, and HYPH entries in dictionary.lst except for the following unsupported entries and I noticed no problems or slowdown either:

# DICT ga IE ga_IE
# DICT gl ES gl_ES
# DICT la ANY la
# DICT pt PT pt_PT

So, I will include the unzipped LangPack_Full.zip file that I got from http://de.openoffice.org/spellcheck/about-spellcheck.html and my modified dictionary list in the next NeoJ release.

Since I have fixed a few bugs and improved printing memory usage and CPU usage, I will probably put a 0.7.1 release out in the next week.

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Spelling

Kristoff wrote:
I just tried NeoOffice/J for the first time (printtest7) and is it me, or is spelling checking completely non-fuctional?

In Neo 0.8 Spellcheck works fine. Autospellcheck is not activable.
Stefano B. - Rome
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject:

Hmmm.....

Interesting because Autospellcheck works fine for me in Neo/J .8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject:

jimlaurent wrote:
Hmmm.....

Interesting because Autospellcheck works fine for me in Neo/J .8

Sorry, you R right. Now it works for me too. Maybe changes in Preferences are not immediately available Question
Stefano B.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1