· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 1.1 official release plans
NeoOffice/J 1.1 official release plans

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject:

As Neo/J is software icon_smile.gif, there will be bugs and fixes, even in a final release, so I'm undecided as to whether the patch-check should be on or off by default in a final release (definitely on in alpha/beta/release candidate). Ray makes a good argument about mass deployment....

My vote is for ON. There will be bugs. People will need to know to fix them.

W
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject:

I still wish that Apple could open up their Software Update mechanism to third party developers. All third parties wind up having to replicate things themselves, like the annoying Microsoft AutoUpdater Wink But that's neither here nor there.

The patch page should be enabled, I would think, esp. for anyone that gets the distro on a CD that doesn't get the patches.

ed
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject:

It may be possible to explain Ray how to change the installation package so that the file that disables patch check is created, no?

Is it easy to do Patrick?
Then we could post the instructions on the wiki and maybe in the read me file Wink
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The patch page should be enabled, I would think, esp. for anyone that gets the distro on a CD that doesn't get the patches.

ed

Hmmm... I had been thinking that those who were ordering CDs would be those for whom going online and downloading was an issue, be that of speed or experience etc. Their purpose in ordering a CD might well be motivated by a desire to avoid the whole download and install anything experience.

Patrick has already indicated elsewhere the manner by which the on/off patch check works. Whichever way the decision goes, I hope my suggestion to add a simple menu item with default off should be retained for inclusion in the next round of development leading to NeoOffice/J 1.2 Cool

val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
Hmmm... I had been thinking that those who were ordering CDs would be those for whom going online and downloading was an issue, be that of speed or experience etc. Their purpose in ordering a CD might well be motivated by a desire to avoid the whole download and install anything experience.

Patchs are quite lightweight compared to the full archive of NeoOffice/J Wink
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject:

And easier on mirror/torrent bandwidth too Smile

ed
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject:

rays wrote:
OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

I think it's fair to assume a lot of people will install Neo/J from CD without having any clue what site it came from (say the CD was given to them from a friend, sold by a third party, or came in a magazine...)

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject:

Looks like our timing was good again...there are rumblings of 1.1.5 again Smile (on the other hand, the cws of Patrick's donated code is just sitting there, waiting for Godot--at least it has a 1.1.5 target now....)

I'm grouchy early in the morning Sad

Smokey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I still wish that Apple could open up their Software Update mechanism to third party developers. All third parties wind up having to replicate things themselves, like the annoying Microsoft AutoUpdater Wink But that's neither here nor there.

ed

The darwin ports have an "Aqua" section where several open source projects are available (cyberduck among others). I know it's not practical because of lack of a GUI and needed compilation. It would be great Fink to implement something like this : a simple (no dependancy management) apt-get like. Fink has already a GUI.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

I think they planned to open it up, but backed off because of security concerns.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
is just sitting there, waiting for Godot--at least it has a 1.1.5 target now....)

If it hangs itself I'll start to worry...

ed
Unknown User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
My vote is for ON. There will be bugs. People will need to know to fix them.

W

Same Vote. I would like the "machine" checking itself, too. No mails pls (just my opinion).

Is there a possibility for the end user to easily delete the "nocheckforupdates" file? If later a Checkforupdates could be added to the help menu (as suggestet by rays) it would be the optimum solution from my point of view.

Regards, Thomas
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I suppose Bittorrent bandwith assistance is as usual? Get the torrent, download the file and then keep it up for sharing for the first week or so, until the first spike dies down at least....

EDIT: I've capped my upload speed at 12 kbytes/sec to keep other channels open, but so far it is zooming along. I hope more people will join in.

Best wishes,
Oscar

P.S. Smokey, is someone at VT checking our work? Are the admins users too, then? In that case they should have given us a highlighted listing.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
P.S. Smokey, is someone at VT checking our work? Are the admins users too, then? In that case they should have given us a highlighted listing.

I put a nasty note at the bottom of the page when I updated their jumped-the-gun listing with the actual, you know, release details. When the replied the changes had been posted to the listing, they noted that the release was announced on www.planamesa.com/neojava. So they are apparently monitoring certain pages for changes and then determining when to update announcements. (Of course, since they are in nuclear war with MacUpdate, MU followed suit).

The moral of the story, for the next lanuch, is for Patrick not to update planamesa.com until night-time in California.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3