Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - General input/output error
General input/output error

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: General input/output error

I do not know where to begin.
I have two machines (home and office) connected via afp over cable broadband. Both are running OS X 10.4.1 and OOo.org 1.9.107.

Prior to upgrading to OS 10.4 and OOo 1.9.107 I could freely open OOo files from the other computer either way using afp.
Now when I try it, I get the msg - "General input/output error while accessing /Volumes/~/Documents/file.odt" or file.sxw.

If I copy the files over afp, I can open them.

I am able to open pdf files in Preview.

Thus, there seems to be something about .odt and .sxw files that does not work with afp.

I have used Disk Utility to set permissions.
I have restarted both computers.

Can anyone help me? or, point me in the right direction to solve my problem.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject:

The solution is to download and install NeoOffice/J. The problem is that OOo does not handle AFP volumes very well. In Neo/J, I fixed many of the AFP bugs that are in OOo. Although I have donated my fixes back to OOo, they have not been integrated into any OOo releases.

Neo/J and OOo can run side-by-side so if you want to give Neo/J a try, you can download it from here:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/

Patrick
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Patrick.

(1) I have found the X11 version to be faster on my machines than NeoOffice/J.

(2) How do I open all of my .odt files in NeoOffice/J?

(3) I like the "paint brush" for quickly applying styles. However I cannot get PincOOo to install properly in NeoOffice/J.

(4) I still am curious as to why all of a sudden what worked well before has ceased to function. Is it OS 10.4.1? Is it OOo 1.9.107?

(5) What is the Input/Output error? Is that like saying that the car crashed into a tree and we do not know the cause - bad brakes? swerved to miss a deer? bent over to kiss girl friend? tree moved into path?

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Also check to see your files aren't locked with the traditional Mac lock flag. OOo sal/osl can't read them properly. Patrick incorporated the fixes to make it work like you'd expect for Neo.

If you want this functionality in the OOo 2 betas, now's the time to start bugging them to incorporate the Mac fixes Patrick donated. They guys doing the X11 buidls have made the decision not to use them at this time, so you're going to see lots of those platform specific bugs persist until they do.

Granted, a significant portion of it is because we can move faster to fix OS X bugs as a separate project...there's no approval process to commit to Neo, you just commit. It's so much easier when one of the developers controls the repository Smile

Granted, restricting commit privileges makes devs that can't commit feel that we're elitist, but hell, it's worked out much better for us thus far so why stop. I'm all for fiefdoms if it results in efficiency and a product that end users like.

ed
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject:

ed

It must be something to do with afp, because when I copy the files to the site of OOo 1.9.107, there is no problem. But that is a PIA to do for every file.

re: fiefdoms - I think you are in good company. Didn't Plato dislike democracies?

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject:

amaloney wrote:
(2) How do I open all of my .odt files in NeoOffice/J?

NeoOffice/J is not capable of opening any oxx extension files. Although they are all in the "OpenDocument" format, that nomenclature is ridiculously misleading.

Right now there are only two application that can open the "open" format that I know of...the OpenOffice.org 2.0 betas and the NeoLight Spotlight indexer (if you hack the plist).

OpenOffice.org 2.0 is incompatible with its earlier versions and will always be so (Neo/J 1.1. RC is the same as OpenOffice.org 1.1.4).

The simple fact that a format is "open" does not make it backwards compatible. It was extended in a way that wasn't backwards compatible, just like Office 97 can't open Office 2003 documents with 100% compatibility.

If you need compatibility with any users using OpenOffice.org 1.0.x, 1.1.x, StarOffice 6/7, or NeoOffice/J on any platform, you should save in the OpenOffice.org 1.x "s" prefixed formats. "Open" does not mean compatible.

Strangely, given the recently transition of Office, your best bet may be the classic .doc formats!

ed
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject:

ed
re: oxx extensions
lesson learned for me. I'll convert all to the sxx extensions and use them in the future

re: basic problem
OOo 1.9.107 does not open file.sxw that resides on the remote machine.
OpenOffice/J does open the same file.sxw that resides on the remote machine.

Therefore, the problem lies with OOo 1.9.107 and afp.

To-morrow I am going to try using NeoOffice/J in place of OOo 1.9.107 on the two machines to see if the problem is resolved in both directions.

re: NeoOffice/J speed
It takes a long time to open on my machine.
The menus are very slow to respond. It is difficult to suppress the urge to click on the menu again. the "Open" dialogue box takes a very long time to open. This is the case on my G4 Sawtooth and my eMac. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Right now there are only two application that can open the "open" format that I know of...the OpenOffice.org 2.0 betas and the NeoLight Spotlight indexer (if you hack the plist).

Actually, AbiWord 2.2.8, released Monday, has limited support for reading odt. I don't know how much of the spec if fulfills (the changelog says "basic support"), since I just threw a couple of one-two line odt files at it; it certainly fails to import paragraph direction. I won't say anything else about Abi because my colleagues on libwpd are by and large chief Abi hackers Smile

OPENSTEP wrote:
If you want this functionality in the OOo 2 betas, now's the time to start bugging them to incorporate the Mac fixes Patrick donated. They guys doing the X11 buidls have made the decision not to use them at this time, so you're going to see lots of those platform specific bugs persist until they do.

Honestly I don't know that bugging them is going to help. I had a run-around already on the bug about Mac aliases (which has a nice patch from Patrick). Last I checked--and, to be fair, it wasn't recently--Patrick's cws of patches was sitting there uncommited to the 1.1.x codeline, bit-rotting, and none had been forward-ported or reworked--nor were there plans to do so--to the 2.0 codeline.

(I'm in a foul mood this morning; this is probably meaner than it should be, and maybe belongs in Ranting altogether....)

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject:

I wasn't aware AbiWord supported them. Kudos to them Smile While a lot of the core tags haven't changed, there are differences between the old OOo and new OpenDocument formats. I also believe that the new OpenDocument format allows for xpath and xforms too, which isn't in the older one.

At some point in the past it was mentioned that there would be a 1.1.5 style release that would add in OpenDocument support into the older code line. That hasn't materialized, however.

For the AFP stuff, the real way to get it fixed will be to get Patrick's patches into core OOo. It should be fairly easy to merge in the sal fixes, and Patrick already put it onto the OOo CVS server too. They may not have time, but it's really what needs to be done to fix a lot of these more subtle issues that he already spent so much time debugging.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:

OTOH, ericb is responding quickly on one the bugs I reported today (the permissions fubar stuff). Perhaps the message from some random user to dev@porting urging "OOo to cooperate with NeoOffice" got things moving? Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1