· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Moral Support
Moral Support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheat
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Moral Support

I just read all the hoopla over at Slashdot about the state of Oo.org on the Mac, and the rift that has developed between the Oo.org organization and you guys at NeoOffice.

I just want to say that I very much appreciate the efforts of everybody working on NeoOffice/J. I am using your product on a daily basis to get work done.

Thanks and keep up the good work. Don't be discouraged. You are making a contribution to this platform. I trust that ultimately others will realize that you are making a contribution to the main Oo.org effort as well with your Mac platform coding R&D.

Maybe the Slashdot discussion tonight will merely give you guys some P.R. exposure and get more people to check out this project. More publicity is something that this project definitely needs.

Best wishes,

Wheat Williams
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
kiwi
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject:

As usual most people hadn't read the page. And most of those that did read it didn't understand what was written (is your education system capable of turning out more kids who can read English? Cool )

But seeing that I couldn't log in all yesterday I guessed that trinity had been slashdotted Very Happy

I think that it would be a good idea to put in the requirements for Neo/J that a G4 and at least 512 Mb RAM are required. I can see all those Mac mini users with 256 Mb RAM complaining about startup time right now... From my personal experience a B&W G3 400 with 320 Mb isn't up to the task - startup and JDBC database connections are painfully long. IMO it is better to set the bar high and have better user satisfaction than too low and lots of complaints about speed.

Cheers

Tony
Andre Schnabel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Moral Support

Hi,

[quote="wheat"]I just read all the hoopla over at Slashdot about the state of Oo.org on the Mac, and the rift that has developed between the Oo.org organization and you guys at NeoOffice.
Thanks and keep up the good work. Don't be discouraged. You are making a contribution to this platform. I trust that ultimately others will realize that you are making a contribution to the main Oo.org effort as well with your Mac platform coding R&D.

------

I don't want to ignore the very important contributions, that Ed and Patrik have done to the OOo Source project (in fact Ed has been and officially is still the head of the Mac porting team). But as Ed himself states at the OOo page, NeoOffice is the only project, he has time for ATM.
So direct contributions to OOo are going to be zero at the moment. Even constructive feedback at the OOo lists is rare nowadays.
But there are still people at OOo who are working on the Max port (porting for OOo 2.0 goes on, with very low involvement of Ed and Patrik ... and please remember, that NeoOffice/J is "just" a subset of OOo, even if it is a very important and complicated one). But there are no devlopers left, who have expiriences in aqua programming.

That's the sad fact. Sad

But the way it reads in Ed's message is, that nobody at OOo is working on Mac porting, moreover, OOo developers block the Aqua-native port. And that's simply not true.

Andre
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1