Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Point update and/or issues to fix real-soon-now
Point update and/or issues to fix real-soon-now

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Point update and/or issues to fix real-soon-now

OPENSTEP asked in another thread:
Quote:
Question for testers and others: should we do a "1.0.3.1" point release? What issues should we try to nail down?

Personally, I don't think we need a new point release. I think that the following issues should be attempted to nail down for 1.1:

* window geometry creep
* printing and particularly page margins (this may be fault of Apple's CUPS implementation, though even with gimp-print drivers, I have page margin problems with _only_ OOo on my Epson StylusCOLOR 777i.)
* multi-user issue regarding program permissions
* multi-user issue regarding shared documents (filed in the bugzilla)

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Point update and/or issues to fix real-soon-now

Paraplegic_Racehorse wrote:
Personally, I don't think we need a new point release. I think that the following issues should be attempted to nail down for 1.1:

* window geometry creep

This is actually a bug in Apple X11 beta 3, not in the OOo code...it's been mentioned on the Apple X11 lists, IIRC. Since Apple isn't doing another release for Jaguar users, all 10.2 or earlier guys may be stuck.

I believe I still have the beta 2 installers lying around and will inqure about making them public. Also...Apple has donated their X11 source back to the XFree86 community, but I am unsure if it covers quartz-wm. If quartz-wm is included, then I'm sure we coudl recompile a "fixed" version to run on Jaguar...provided it doesn't depend on any Panther interfaces.

* printing and particularly page margins (this may be fault of Apple's CUPS implementation, though even with gimp-print drivers, I have page margin problems with _only_ OOo on my Epson StylusCOLOR 777i.)

Actually, OOo essentially functions as its own postscript driver, so the issue probably lies in OOo and not gimp-print and CUPS. Do you know offhand if the PPD itself is valid? Can you private message or e-mail the PPD?

A few PPDs that were automatically generated for inkjet printers from the old style (non-CUPS) drivers contained invalid characters and the like that confuse our PPD parsing code. Thus far I thought it was limited to Canon printers, but you may have found another case of a corrupt PPD that's picking the wrong page size.

* multi-user issue regarding program permissions

This is ours for sure Smile Definitely a 1.1, or at least a "patch" to address the installer.

Offhand, do you know who this is assigned to or what its issue number is? I haven't seen it crop up in my weekly IssueZilla spams (horrid little bug tracking system).

ed
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Point update and/or issues to fix real-soon-now

Sorry this has taken so long, real life is interfering (like working nearly 100 hr / week).

OPENSTEP wrote:

Actually, OOo essentially functions as its own postscript driver, so the issue probably lies in OOo and not gimp-print and CUPS. Do you know offhand if the PPD itself is valid? Can you private message or e-mail the PPD?

Sure, if I can figure out where it's located and named in the file structure. Is there an easy way to determine this?
OPENSTEP wrote:
A few PPDs that were automatically generated for inkjet printers from the old style (non-CUPS) drivers contained invalid characters and the like that confuse our PPD parsing code. Thus far I thought it was limited to Canon printers, but you may have found another case of a corrupt PPD that's picking the wrong page size.

I can't pin it down to paper size. It does not run off the end of a physical page. It only seems to affect the top margin (which seems locked at 2") and all other page margins are correct for the software settings. Really kind of weird.

In the official OOo project tree, is there a plan to just output to the OS printing system? That would probably help considerably.
OPENSTEP wrote:

Offhand, do you know who this is assigned to or what its issue number is? I haven't seen it crop up in my weekly IssueZilla spams (horrid little bug tracking system).

Issue # 16228 (opened 2003-06-29). It appears to be assigned to Dan Williams.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject:

No worries on the delay. My DSL convienently died recently preventing me from posting any response. Sigh...

Thanks for the IZ number on the document issue. I'll go ahead and track that one down later on.

As to printing...the problem with printing is that OOo generates postscript, whereas the Mac printing system wants to have PDFs. So going straight to "lp" with postscript code doesn't work, at least without postscript rasterizers. 10.3 of course has one...

There used to be an option to throw postscript directly at lp for those folks with postscript printers, but this flag is no longer supported.

In terms of where your PPDs live, check the following directories:

/etc/cups/ppd/
/usr/share/cups/model

See if you find your printer listed in any of those PPDs...there may be something wrong in that file, particularly if it's been autogenerated for an inkjet. My lexmark is in the first, for example, but doesn't exhibit any issues. I believe there are some issues with certain older canon and epson printers.

ed
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
As to printing...the problem with printing is that OOo generates postscript, whereas the Mac printing system wants to have PDFs. So going straight to "lp" with postscript code doesn't work, at least without postscript rasterizers. 10.3 of course has one...

There used to be an option to throw postscript directly at lp for those folks with postscript printers, but this flag is no longer supported.

In terms of where your PPDs live, check the following directories:

/etc/cups/ppd/
/usr/share/cups/model

See if you find your printer listed in any of those PPDs...there may be something wrong in that file, particularly if it's been autogenerated for an inkjet. My lexmark is in the first, for example, but doesn't exhibit any issues. I believe there are some issues with certain older canon and epson printers.

Here's a couple quick 'ls' results:
Code:
[Agatha:~] charles% ls /etc/cups/ppd/
Stylus_COLOR_777.ppd
[Agatha:~] charles% ls /usr/share/cups/model/
C            dymo.ppd     laserjet.ppd stcolor.ppd  stphoto2.ppd
deskjet.ppd  epson24.ppd  okidat24.ppd stcolor2.ppd
deskjet2.ppd epson9.ppd   okidata9.ppd stphoto.ppd
[Agatha:~] charles%

My actual printer model is an Epson Stylus Color 777i, so /etc/cups/ppd/Stylus_COLOR_777.ppd appears to be the correct PPD. This printer was installed through the http://localhost:631/printers CUPS interface, rather than via Print Center. Could there be an issue there? I suppose I'll see if there's a CUPS update (I'm using v1.1) and install the gimp-print update (to v4.2.5), reinstall the (hopefully new or updated) driver and see if that improves anything.

As for outputing to OS print functionalities, I thought that CUPS was supposed to handle all that rasterizing and stuff (doesn't it do this in Linux and other UNIXes?). I'm not a programmer, so I wouldn't know from experience, but it stands to reason that that's how it should work... Then again, my experiences with Linux and FreeBSD indicate that things don't often work in a reasonable fashion. Wink

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1