· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Trolling for gmail for Neo community relations
Trolling for gmail for Neo community relations

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Trolling for gmail for Neo community relations

A while ago we talked about getting an email account at NeoOffice.org ("community" being the current favorite address) for use by our "community relations" team as an official address when posting updates to various sites (VersionTracker, MacUpdate, Apple), correcting egregiously erroneus forum posts on other Mac or OOo fora, etc.

Ed's cool with that but suggested, both for easier sharing among members of our "community relations" team and because of storage restrictions, we get a gmail or other account that the NeoOffice.org account automatically will forward all mail to.

Boukman originally offered a gmail invite, but I was too busy (and travelling) to take him/her up on it then, and recent attempts to contact him/her have failed. Thus the current trolling for an invite.... Smile

I'm headed back out of town for a few days, but when I come back next week I'd like to really get moving on this so I can finally fix our MacUpdate listing, detach our VT listing from my personal account, and get things really set up for a team effort.... So if you have an invite you'd like to donate...it'd be most appreciated. (Otherwise, I'll set up a Yahoo account, which will have lots of crappy graphic ads and not be nearly as cool, I imagine....)

Thanks,
Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject:

I may be able to help if you can point me in the direction of your original threads on this. It might be a nice opportunity for World Scouting to put something back into to a project we're taking quite a lot from!

I just don't understand the reference to "invites" or am I too dumb?

Ray
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Gmail Invite

Here I am! All I need is the email adress to send the invite to. The person receiving the email "invite" should then complete the registration and that's it!

Am I correct to assume the email is to be sent to community@neooffice.org? I will wait for a confirmation of the adress before I proceed. The sooner someone can confirm, the sooner we'll have a gmail account!
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject:

nono, community@neooffice.org is going to point to the gmail address, so it should go to the town crier himself.

unless he will be gone too long in which case i guess i can set it up.

just don't cross the streams. that's bad.

-j, who watched ghostbusters today
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Gmail invite

jakeOSX wrote:
nono, community@neooffice.org is going to point to the gmail address, so it should go to the town crier himself.

unless he will be gone too long in which case i guess i can set it up.

just don't cross the streams. that's bad.

Actually, it's just a question of who will receive the offer for a gmail account.
The gmail account won't be "pointing" at anything. Setting up the account is done afterwards by whoever clicks on the link that google will send them by email. I just need to know where to send the invite, that's all.

And by the way, if anyone else needs an invite, just send me your email address and you'll receive one.
Boukman
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Gmail invite

So I sent one invite to community@neooffice.org and got a delivery failure notification. Can someone look into this?
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject:

lol. nono. there is no community@neooffice.org

what is going to happen is Sardisson is going to set up a gmail account and then community@neo will be directed to that gmail account.

the gmail account will be for a central place to set up accounts on sites like version tracker, so we can update listings.

=D

-j, these stairs go up
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: All set (mostly)

OK, it seems the hotel has free high-speed internet access now, and we needed to check some stuff for work, so I'm online after all.

Also, Waldo pm'ed me this morning before I left with an offer and then there was an invite sitting in my inbox when I checked mail tonight Smile. So thanks Waldo, but also Boukman and the others who offered.

We'll be neoofficej AT gmail DOT com--neooffice by itself was already taken, but the app will be /J for a while yet anyway--so we'll be up and running soon.

I think I'm going to wait on proceeding with the rest of the setup/extrication of my personal accounts from listings/organizing the "team", etc., until I'm back next week and have more time and am less tired Smile

Thanks, y'all! Smile
Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject:

I set up community at neooffice.org to do forwarding to the gmail account. I also gave Smokey the login/pass to access it directly. Unfortunately the mail server I use for neooffice.org is really not set up to store messages or have any kind of a functional web interface (e.g. no spam filtering, etc.) so it really can only be used from POP accounts. That's not really useful if multiple people are trying to use the one account Confused

Let me know if the forwarding works!

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: ZdNet, CNet, Tucows

I was wondering over to Tucows (for nostalgic reasons) and went to check what rating NeoOffice has there, but it wasn't listed. I haven't checked ZdNet or CNet or downloads.com or whatever.

Is it listed at any of these big general sites and should we care?

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: ZdNet, CNet, Tucows

ovvldc wrote:
I was wondering over to Tucows (for nostalgic reasons) and went to check what rating NeoOffice has there, but it wasn't listed. I haven't checked ZdNet or CNet or downloads.com or whatever.

Is it listed at any of these big general sites and should we care?

This should probably go over in the "marketing" thread (actually, it'd be best to compile a list on the wiki so everyone can change it), but since Oscar began it here...

Tucows doesn't list OOo, either, and requires a physical (street) address and phone number, and a disclaimer/registration agreement the length of the Nile before they'll consider listing your product.

ZDNet/CNet/download.com are all the same thing, and their upload site isn't reachable atm. They do list OOo 1.0.3 for the Mac, though Smile

Anyway, I should probably set up a wiki page and then start recruiting other members of the Community Relations team. I think I have all of the old listings sorted out now....

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: ZdNet, CNet, Tucows

sardisson wrote:
ZDNet/CNet/download.com are all the same thing, and their upload site isn't reachable atm. They do list OOo 1.0.3 for the Mac, though Smile

Unfortunately, ZDNet/CNet/download.com is $9/mo for even a basic listing. So I guess it's out, too. Sad

sardisson wrote:
Anyway, I should probably set up a wiki page and then start recruiting other members of the Community Relations team. I think I have all of the old listings sorted out now....

This is now in-progress, but a bit of a mess yet.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: another community relation

I added NeoOffice to the Open Source directory with UNESCO.

Confirmation request should have been sent to community@neooffice.org as agreed.

Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject:

If you don't get an auto-reply, please let me know; I rebuilt the neo mail server recently and may have screwed up the forwarding.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject:

Yeah, something's screwed up, and it's not just forwarding....

There's no confo in the gmail account from UNESCO.

There are other problems, too...I'll shoot ed an email (assuming that's not broken, also Smile)

Smokey

P.S. Thanks, Oscar! ...But I'm afraid you'll have to do it again once everything is working again.... Sad

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2