Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Filtering in Calc: Data->Filter->AutoFilter
Filtering in Calc: Data->Filter->AutoFilter

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disko
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Filtering in Calc: Data->Filter->AutoFilter

I use NeoOffice 2.2.2 Patch 0 on Mac.

I try to use the AutoFilter in Calc. I selected the area with which I would like to use the filter, but it only filters part of the area. After activating the AutoFilter the dropdown menus at the top of the columns work.
I can select some of the things from the dropdown menus, that I have down there in the columns, but not all.

The thing works for 846 rows from the top. I don't know what happens then. But from there on, everything remains unfiltered. And all the writings in the columns that appear for the first time after the row 846, do not appear in the dropdown menu. As if it automatically wouldn't include the things below row 846 into the filtering.

It is the same for OpenOffice (I tried on another computer) - the filtering works until the row 846 and not with the rows that come below (starting from row 1).

Is this an OOo bug or am I doing something wrong?
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:

I can't reproduce your problem with a Calc document with more than 2000 rows.
What sort of data do you try to sort?

Jacqueline
disko
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject:

I have a spreadsheet about my incomes and expenses. So I have the date column, then the description of what I spent my money on or what I received it for, then the amount, then some more dates (e.g. when the money transfer was made in the bank), then a category (e.g. food etc).

When I use the filter, then I select all the data.
I was wondering that perhaps the program has a limit on how many different units there can be in a dropdown menu at the top of the column, when I filter things. My spreadsheet starts from the beginning of the year and the interesting thing (perhaps a coincidence) is that the filtering stops (the row 486) at the end of July. So all the things that have happened after 1st of August are not filtered Razz .
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject:

disko wrote:

I was wondering that perhaps the program has a limit on how many different units there can be in a dropdown menu at the top of the column, when I filter things.

if yes, the limit is > 2500.
Try to add a column filled with the series of the numbers from 1 to the end of your sheet and apply the AutoFilter to that column. Are the rows > 846 displayed in the drop-down?

Jacqueline
disko
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:

Try to add a column filled with the series of the numbers from 1 to the end of your sheet and apply the AutoFilter to that column. Are the rows > 846 displayed in the drop-down?

Jacqueline

I added a column and filled it with numbers from 1 to 1115. I selected all the columns and applied the AutoFilter. Now the case is such that in this number column, it does show all the numbers from 1 to 1115 in the dropdown menu and I can filter them all one by one. However, in the dropdown menus of what item I have spent my money on, and in the category column - it doesn't show all the items. And if I choose something from these columns to filter by, it only works until the row 846 (even with the things that appear above row 846 and also below 846). Rolling Eyes
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject:

Did you insert some special data in row 847? Or some new date or new data format?
Can you try to open a new Calc document and copy/paste into it your data from row 847 to the end and try to filter them?

Jacqueline
disko
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject:

I copied about 20 rows above row 846 and about 20 rows below that row and pasted it into the new document. I can filter all those rows and everything works fine.

I also tried this kind of thing that I left out some last columns and copied most of the table (all the rows) into a new file - then the AutoFilter works all the way down to the end of the table. If I select only these columns in my original file and just leave the last columns out of the selection then it AutoFilters only until the row 846. The same thing happened even if I created an empty column between the selected columns and some last columns (so it would no way want to include the last columns into the filtering) - it only AutoFilters until row 846.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject:

Maybe your document has been, for some reason, corrupted. This sort of thing happens to me from time to time (fortunately, it's rare), without any evident cause.
if you wish, you can send me the file (I'll PM you my e-mail address). I'll test it on my machine. Of course, if you think that your file is a sensitive one, I'll understand you very well.

(I don't read Estonian Smile)
Jacqueline
disko
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject:

I thought I'll send you this worksheet. As I have many worksheets in this file, I figured I'll copy this one worksheet into a new document and I'll send you this one worksheet. But - after I copied this worksheet, I tested the whole table (all the columns) with AutoFilter, and it worked!

So I copied all the other worksheets also into this new document and now I have it just like the previous file, only that the AutoFilter works Very Happy

So I guess there was some kind of corruption in this file, that I wasn't aware of and now I can just delete the previous file and use the new one with all my data and the possibility to AutoFilter Very Happy

Thanks!
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Happy to hear that your problem is resolved Very Happy
That sort of "corruption" is rare and it's not easy to know why it occurs, at least it's not easy for me Wink

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1