Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - First attempt with Neo/J. Comments and bugs.
First attempt with Neo/J. Comments and bugs.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: First attempt with Neo/J. Comments and bugs.

I'm new to NeoOffice/J even though I've been a somewhat active tester of the OOO betas. I downloaded 0.0.1 today with the printtest4 patch.

I have a 400 MHz iMac DV with 768 RAM and an Epson C60 printer. So far I've only tested with a few documents including a drawing "blueprint" style document.

Display comments:

Lines that display and print as hairline width in OOO are several pixels wide in Neo/J.

Arcs that a appears as a smooth open arc have a straight line connecting the ends of the arc in Neo/J.

Text items which appear perfectly smooth when horizontal become quite grainy edged when rotated 90 degrees.

Slow response but it's Java and I have a 400 Mhz iMac so what can I expect....

Printing issues

When using dimension lines that are vertical, the label text runs sideways on the screen but are horizontal on the printout with the label "ft" located above the number. The labels also overlap the dimension line.

Text labels inside of boxes that print cleanly when horizontal print as overlapped horizontal text when rotated 90 degrees. It should print as rotated text. The text displays on screen correctly but with rough edges when rotated.

As above, partial "open" arcs are closed by a straight line when printed.

Selecting File print and then changing your mind forces you to "Cancel" 3 separate dialog boxes to get back to work.

Printed a long document. Clicked OK to all three dialogs. Neo/J started spooling. Clicked "Cancel". "Printing" dialog when away but Neo/J print progress at bottom of screen continued to progress. Stop sign RED.

Occasionally the "Printing" dialog box would show 2 progress bars and 2 "Cancel" buttons. Not sure which is the real one. (Perhaps too much beer late at night.)

After printing only "page 3 to 3", Neo/J continues to show printing progress bar at bottom and is unresponsive until its done. I saw this mentioned in you printing thread as a known problem.

Nit picks.

Scroll wheel doesn't work.

A Question.....

Does Neo/J work ok in multiple users environments?

PS.

Command Keys instead of Control keys.... AWESOME....

I'll be happy to send you the sample document if you like.... Let me know.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: First attempt with Neo/J. Comments and bugs.

jimlaurent wrote:
Lines that display and print as hairline width in OOO are several pixels wide in Neo/J.

I suspect that this is due to Java's insistence of converting the screen coordinate space to 72 dpi. OOo maintains documents at a much higher resolution and then converts to the screen resolution when painting. In NeoJ, the conversion to 72 dpi (and then Java converting it to the real dpi) appears to cause the lines to widen and other graininess issues.

I am working on some ways to allow painting at the real screen resolution instead of the fake Java 72 dpi. I will post something to this forum when I have a solution.

jimlaurent wrote:
Arcs that a appears as a smooth open arc have a straight line connecting the ends of the arc in Neo/J.

Good catch. This was a bug and I have committed a fix to the CVS tree.

jimlaurent wrote:
Text items which appear perfectly smooth when horizontal become quite grainy edged when rotated 90 degrees.

I believe that this problem is due to the 72 dpi problem mentioned above. Hopefully, a fix for the above will fix this too.

jimlaurent wrote:
Slow response but it's Java and I have a 400 Mhz iMac so what can I expect....

I have been trying to chase down the cause of this slowness for some time. From my experiments, I have found that the Java painting routines are extremely fast (Apple implemented them as native Carbon calls). Yet some OOo user operations result in a significant time lag before they apear on the screen. I believe that the problem is not Java itself (which would probably be unfixable) but are really bottlenecks in my code (which are fixable once we find them).

If you can describe any really short series of user operations where things really slow down, I can attach a debugger and see if I can pinpoint where the bottleneck is occurring.

jimlaurent wrote:
When using dimension lines that are vertical, the label text runs sideways on the screen but are horizontal on the printout with the label "ft" located above the number. The labels also overlap the dimension line.

Text labels inside of boxes that print cleanly when horizontal print as overlapped horizontal text when rotated 90 degrees. It should print as rotated text. The text displays on screen correctly but with rough edges when rotated.

Can you send me a sample document so that I can replicate this? My private e-mail is patrick.luby@planamesa.com. The rough rotated edges are due to the 72 dpi problem, but I wuld like to find the cause of the overlapping text. One question for you: does the same behavior occur when you print to a PDF file?

jimlaurent wrote:
As above, partial "open" arcs are closed by a straight line when printed.

This is due to the same bug that I have committed a fix for.

jimlaurent wrote:
Selecting File print and then changing your mind forces you to "Cancel" 3 separate dialog boxes to get back to work.

Printed a long document. Clicked OK to all three dialogs. Neo/J started spooling. Clicked "Cancel". "Printing" dialog when away but Neo/J print progress at bottom of screen continued to progress. Stop sign RED.

Unfortunately, the OOo wants to control the printer and Java hides printer operation. As a result, my integration of Java printing into OOo is still a bit rough. I am (very slowly) searching out and eliminating the places in the OOo code where OOo duplicates the printing information that is displayed in the native Java print dialogs.

jimlaurent wrote:
Occasionally the "Printing" dialog box would show 2 progress bars and 2 "Cancel" buttons. Not sure which is the real one. (Perhaps too much beer late at night.).

NeoJ allows you to print two different documents at the same time. Might this be what happened in your case?

jimlaurent wrote:
After printing only "page 3 to 3", Neo/J continues to show printing progress bar at bottom and is unresponsive until its done. I saw this mentioned in you printing thread as a known problem.

You are correct, it is due to a hack that I need to eliminate.

jimlaurent wrote:
Scroll wheel doesn't work.

Java did not add scroll wheel support until Java 1.4. Maybe one of these days I will find a way to hack around this missing Java functionality.

jimlaurent wrote:
Does Neo/J work ok in multiple users environments?

It should. Both my wife and I are old Unix junkies so we have two users on our Macs so that we can log into and use each other's machine. NeoJ installs in "shared" mode which means that NeoJ will put any user configuration into the user's Library/NeoOfficeJ directory. Since no user writes any changes to the installation directory, multiple users can use NeoJ on the same machine. In fact, NeoJ should (in theory) be runnable from multiple machines from a shared directory.

Thanks for the feedback,

Patrick
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad I was able to find some real bugs.

The problem with the text printing wrong also occurs when saving to PDF. I sent you the document via email. Enjoy.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1