Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Icon script update (?)
Icon script update (?)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Icon script update (?)

Hi everyone,

Has anyone improved the slotlist.csv file in the Icons replacement script? There's a couple of icons that refuse to be replaced for now.

If no one has had time I will hunt for a few of the more obvious one (new document icons, for instance).

Best wishes,
Oscar

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: help with missing icons...

I checked my ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/config/soffice.cfg/genBitmaps folder and examined the icon row in there but there seems to be something wrong. I have opened userimages.bmp but not all icons are in this file.

Where are, for instance, the new writer/calc/impress icons taken from? The ones I see are not in my bitmap...

This is vexing me.

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I haven't had a chance to mess with the slotlist. I did just finish a new version of the script which I should be posting later tonight or tomorrow.

The principal improvement is the new script let's you pick any color you want for the Understudy icons and creates them on the fly. Instead of just changing the transparency in the icons (which is far too variable), this one will create a wide color border around the un-created icons.

Anyway, just updating the readme and I'll post it.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Background colours/icon base in version 7.0 of Neo-Iconer

Hi Brett,

Thanks for the update. I am still learning about all this. I would like to contribute in some way, once I have worked out what does what. I have installed the update but, as a starting point, I would like to go back to the look I had before the change: the "sedate" icons base in the "understudy", and the background colour set previously. Is that possible? What settings do I need to input respectively?

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Background colours/icon base in version 7.0 of Neo-Icone

Sorry to take up space: I answered my own question here. Going back into a post by M-Rick last week, I followed his advice to use #EEEEEE for a pleasant light grey effect (oh, to have all the dark grey stuff in this shade!) in items 2 and 3 of the program. Thanks again for this program, berchca.

Peter
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Icon script update (?)

ovvldc wrote:

Has anyone improved the slotlist.csv file in the Icons replacement script? There's a couple of icons that refuse to be replaced for now.

If no one has had time I will hunt for a few of the more obvious one (new document icons, for instance).

Oscar,

Sorry I didn't say this at first: This would be excellent. AFAIK, no one has improved the slotlist.csv.

This one seems to be more comprehensive than the one we use:
http://www.pcc-services.com/files/slotlist.csv
and also has a little organization which is nice. I'm not sure they use the same filenames as we do, but that's easy enough to fix.

If they're not skipping any numbers, they have discovered over five hundred of the slots.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Icon Package

Actually, on the same website is a matching icon package:
http://www.pcc-services.com/files/

It comes in the form of an image stripe and seems to contain 525 different icons. I'd like to yank that apart and use the icons from that for the understudy, the only issue I can think of is name compatibility. We could:

a) Change the names of the icons in all the themes we're already using.
b) Change the names in the slotlist.csv from this site to match our names.

From my point of view, it doesn't matter which way. If we go with option b, I would want to wait for an updated slotlist.csv before I pulled the iconstrip apart (as it would rename the individual files based on that file).

Oscar, I suspect you're the only other one who will have a strong opinion on this, so I'd like to hear it. I also figure all the work is likely to be done by one or the two of us.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Icon Package

berchca wrote:
Actually, on the same website is a matching icon package: http://www.pcc-services.com/files/

Yeah, except that they too can't seem to find the new document icons (I wonder if the guys at dev@porting know where the hell those are kept.

I used these icons for a while, actually, until I got new ones. They are still nicer than the original ones, but I didn't have the script to make them. I just had the finished package

berchca wrote:
It comes in the form of an image stripe and seems to contain 525 different icons. I'd like to yank that apart and use the icons from that for the understudy, the only issue I can think of is name compatibility.

Well, either is fine. If the advantage of option B (renaming their slotlist) is that all the other people can keep their current sets. That seems friendlier and more likely to get submissions from people here. Once you get a new slotlist, you can always sort it and copy in only the new ones..

As for an updated slotlist, I suppose you could ask Mike Peterson (of pcc-services) how far he got. This file looks like it is not very new. If not, I am at a loss about how to dig up the new document icons, though I will happily go and ask around.

I'll gladly help in getting this sorted. First task I can do that will actually change something about NeoOffice directly.

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Icon Package

ovvldc wrote:
I'll gladly help in getting this sorted.

Excellent, excellent. Then let's go with modifying this slotlist.csv to our purposes. Since you seem to know a fair amount about it, including who has been working on what, I'm going to step aside and let you do it. Just let me know what I can do to help.

If this works out, I'm fairly excited about how much work it is going to save. And we'll be pretty much ready to start forming the icon-dev team.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Icon Package

berchca wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
I'll gladly help in getting this sorted.

Excellent, excellent. Then let's go with modifying this slotlist.csv to our purposes. Since you seem to know a fair amount about it, including who has been working on what, I'm going to step aside and let you do it. Just let me know what I can do to help.

How generous of you Wink. Actually, I e-mailed Peterson first. I'll see about the slotlist later, probably this weekend before I can do anything serious.

Also, are we going to try to mark out the ones that aren't used in any toolbars? I suppose some are just for menu items. OTOH, if you reconfigure your toolbar, you might need them.

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Icon Package

ovvldc wrote:
Actually, I e-mailed Peterson first. I'll see about the slotlist later, probably this weekend before I can do anything serious.

And this is what he replied:

Quote:
It's nice to know that someone else is utilizing the OO.org theme.

Unfortunately, I never did track down the slot numbers for the new
document icons. The last I heard was that you can only change those at
compile time, if you search the Openoffice.org forums you should be
able to find that "conversation".

That was the last I heard on the subject. Also for the past few months
I have been extensively testing OO.o 2.0, which seems to be a very big
improvement over 1.1.x. I haven't looked into "themeing" the new
version yet, but I heard that they might of fixed the "masking"
problems where you can actually use transparent PNGs for the icons under Windows now - Also, under Linux, the themeing is also much improved and the new version will change it's look depending if it is running under GNOME or KDE.

Good Luck,
Mike Petersen

Well, that didn't help. Patrick or Ed, do you have a clue? These are literally the first buttons you see (top left).

On another note, I cleaned up the CSV files in a spreadsheet and will transpose them ASAP.

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Icon Package

ovvldc wrote:
Also, are we going to try to mark out the ones that aren't used in any toolbars? I suppose some are just for menu items. OTOH, if you reconfigure your toolbar, you might need them.

Agreed, completely.

ovvldc wrote:
Unfortunately, I never did track down the slot numbers for the new document icons. The last I heard was that you can only change those at compile time, if you search the Openoffice.org forums you should be able to find that "conversation".

It would be unfortunate if we couldn't built some of the icons into the testing program, but not fatal. At some point, I suspect all of the icons will be compiled into Neo/J.

ovvldc wrote:

On another note, I cleaned up the CSV files in a spreadsheet and will transpose them ASAP.

Wow, quick work.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Icon Package

bercha wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
Unfortunately, I never did track down the slot numbers for the new document icons. The last I heard was that you can only change those at compile time, if you search the Openoffice.org forums you should be able to find that "conversation".

It would be unfortunate if we couldn't built some of the icons into the testing program, but not fatal. At some point, I suspect all of the icons will be compiled into Neo/J.

It might be worthwhile for one of you to track down the OOo project responsible for the toolbar icons and post a few polite queries to that project's dev list. They could probably tell you where the originals are stored in CVS, too, which will need to be known for compiling the new icons into Neo/J anyway....

I haven't been following this very closely, but good to see y'all are still plodding forward Smile

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject:

Props to Florian for the response on the location of some of those image files in CVS. Even if the location is not quite the same in the 1.1 branch (silly were it to change, but then again....), it's the first time in a year that there's been any sort of pointer to the location of the toolbar images....

Smokey

Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: out of touch

Apologies slightly in advance and slightly late: I owe a new version of the Iconer to take advantage of Oscar's (and other's) work. I got stuck with a late-season flu and now am behind on real-world stuff and probably won't be able to sit down with it until the week after this coming one.

I apologize, but I did want to let people know I hadn't just mindlessly abandoned it.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4