Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Icon script update (?)
Icon script update (?)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Okay, there's a file out at:
http://www.brettisangry.com/NeoOffice/
called Mark's patch. It _should_ fix the issue. Let me know if it does and I'll get it in the next release of Neo-Iconer, due out later this week.

It's only one file, a new Neo-Iconer.tcl, just copy it over your old one. The only reason I zipped it up was because some browsers don't know what to do with .tcl files.
mark

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: hurrah!

Brett,

Thanks! Just downloaded and used the new .tcl and it appears to have worked perfectly.

Mark
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Neo Iconer Version 0.8 is up.

Neo Iconer Version 0.8 is up.

Thanks to help from Oscar, Neo Iconer now has 525 toolbar icons in it. AFAIK, that's all of them (though I know we still can't get them all to display.) The change list is at the bottom of the email. You can download it at:

http://brettisangry.com/NeoOffice/

One of the big changes of note is that we've switched naming schemes. This means any themes you've created in previous versions are probably broken. I wrote a little conversion script, but it's way too hacked to put out to the general public. Let me know if you want it and/or want to send me your icons for conversion. More than happy to.

One thing that came up during the name change, was some of the "sample" themes (which I inherited with the program) came from yet another naming scheme (for example, only thirty-three of the current sixty-seven Aqua icons are recognized, and it's hard to say if they are properly so.) These probably have to be sorted out by hand. I'll probably get around to it eventually, but if anyone wanted to volunteer to take one to sort out, I wouldn't say no.

Lastly, a question for the higher powers: Is there anything I can do to help figure out how to replace the 'unreplacable' icons? I'm happy to take up the mantle on that if it would help. But I don't want to be aggravating OOo people with petty questions if someone else is better qualified.

Changes (from the readme, which I know _everyone_ reads):

- 525 Icons image slots, up from 171. Now complete, AFAIK (be warned, four times the icons, one fourth the speed.)
- Added command line options: help, normal, and restore.
- Made program executable without manually evoking tclsh.
- Changed executable name to NeoIconer.
- Made it a little more intelligent about finding ImageMagick package.
- Removed some of the smaller, more pitiful icon packages.
NOTE: In this release, we've changed from the incomplete KDE icon naming scheme to the complete GTK one. If you've created icon set with 0.7 and before, you'll have to change the names. I have hacked something up to do automatically, so contact me if that would make your life easier.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo Iconer Version 0.8 is up.

berchca wrote:
If you've created icon set with 0.7 and before, you'll have to change the names. I have hacked something up to do automatically, so contact me if that would make your life easier.

My hero... Smile

And yes, I would appreciate it if you could spin my set through the rename script Smile. You can pick them up at http://geocities.com/ovvldc/ unless you want me to e-mail them.

One thing I did notice is that the .blankicons directory is empty. Is it supposed to be that way? And I wonder if your renaming script can run through the KDE set and include them as an independent set to choose from. I actually liked some of those Smile.

Let me know how it goes and I'll start making a full set that looks somewhat decently aquafied.

Thanks again,
Oscar

P.S. There's a typo in your readme. Command line option for help is spelled out as "./NeoIconer --normal" Smile

berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Neo Iconer Version 0.8 is up.

ovvldc wrote:
And yes, I would appreciate it if you could spin my set through the rename script

Last edited by berchca on Thu May 12, 2005 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Hrm, most of my last message just plain didn't show up. Trying it again:

ovvldc wrote:
And yes, I would appreciate it if you could spin my set through the rename script

Okay, its up at my site under the name Oscars Renamed Icons.

I tested the contents of 22x22, it processed but only said it got 45 custom icons (There were seventy icons in the directory) Then I went back and ran the original icon set on an older version and it only got 43. Not sure what is going wrong, I'm hoping you can help me figure it out. I'm wondering if there's a naming disconnect between the version of the original script I ported verses the one that had been being used before?

I wasn't sure what the Alternatives directory was, but I processed it anyway since I knew you could just ignore it if I wasn't supposed to.

ovvldc wrote:
And I wonder if your renaming script can run through the KDE set and include them as an independent set to choose from. I actually liked some of those

Right you are! It's probably the most complete set out there beside the gtk one. Sadly, it's probably trickier than it should be, because all those are filed as numbers instead of names (I found out the hard way why that is.) But it's on the short list.

ovvldc wrote:
One thing I did notice is that the .blankicons directory is empty. Is it supposed to be that way?

The blank icons is intentional, it was a quick hack for the new normal function. Sadly, even as I write this, I realize a far, far more elegant solution which I was leaning too close to the computer screen to see last night. Looks like I'm gonna have to do an 0.8.1 release...

ovvldc wrote:
P.S. There's a typo in your readme. Command line option for help is spelled out as "./NeoIconer --normal"

Yikes! Thanks for watching my back.

ovvldc wrote:
I'll start making a full set that looks somewhat decently aquafied.

Yes! Because that's what this is, in the end, all about.

Last edited by berchca on Thu May 12, 2005 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Neo Iconer Version 0.8.1 is up.

Neo Iconer Version 0.8.1 is up.

Hot on the heels of 0.8, this version handles the 'normal' command better (much better, ergo the quick release of this version), as well as adds a couple new commands. Notes from readme at the bottom.

As for getting the KDE Icons in, I was doing some poking around and it seems they've managed to get the design up to around 260 icons (from the 171 in the original package this program started from). I'm investigating to see if I can snab/hack a version for our use. Also, looks like Nuvola has a complete set (vs. the 24-odd icons we've currently got.) So I'm checking that out as well.

From the Readme:

-Added indicator of how many custom icons found.
-Changed normal to just copy a pre-existing imagestrip instead of wasting time building it.
-Added unnormal command to toggle back and forth between normal and not normal mode.
-Added changenormal command so you can use an imagestrip of your own creation for 'normal' mode.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Hi

I'm playing around with NeoIconer, but I'm wondering can anyone tell me the #nnnnnn for the new background grey in NeoJ 1.1RC? I know it's buried in a thread somewhere here but I can't find it, and neither of the two options in the config.tcl file match it.

- yoxi
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject:

berchca wrote:
Okay, its up at my site under the name Oscars Renamed Icons.

Thanks!

berchca wrote:
I tested the contents of 22x22, it processed but only said it got 45 custom icons (There were seventy icons in the directory) Then I went back and ran the original icon set on an older version and it only got 43. Not sure what is going wrong, I'm hoping you can help me figure it out. I'm wondering if there's a naming disconnect between the version of the original script I ported verses the one that had been being used before?

I wasn't sure what the Alternatives directory was, but I processed it anyway since I knew you could just ignore it if I wasn't supposed to.

Yes, when I first made the set I just included many icons, not having noticed that many were not used. I then tried to move as many as possible to alternatives for later use, but not all of them. I should have told you and saved you the worry.

berchca wrote:
Right you are! It's probably the most complete set out there beside the gtk one. Sadly, it's probably trickier than it should be, because all those are filed as numbers instead of names (I found out the hard way why that is.) But it's on the short list.

I made that spreadsheet and it has all (for old the 170 icon set) corresponding number and nearly all of the old names (and changed ones are clearly marked). You should be able to script something to rename the numbered icons to 0.7 names and then rename these to 0.8. I don't know how you did that the hackish conversion script, but you might be able to spin a new input file for it and do it relatively painlessly.

berchca wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
I'll start making a full set that looks somewhat decently aquafied.

Yes! Because that's what this is, in the end, all about.

Well, not this morning, but soon Smile.

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I'm playing around with NeoIconer, but I'm wondering can anyone tell me the #nnnnnn for the new background grey in NeoJ 1.1RC? I know it's buried in a thread somewhere here but I can't find it, and neither of the two options in the config.tcl file match it.

It depends on your Mac, but I put the following extra line in my config.tcl:

Code:
set bg       "#DEDEDE"         ; # Native light grey for Panther

Maybe something for 0.8.2?

yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Code:
set bg       "#DEDEDE"         ; # Native light grey for Panther

Better - thanks!

- yoxi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject:

Yoxi, for future reference, you should have an app called Digital Color Meter in your /Applicatuons/Utilities folder. Launch that app while you have NOJ open or even just in the Finder and place your cursor over the light grey in Finder or any other color and choose 8-bit hex in the drop down menu at the bottom of the DCM window and DCM will show what the #nnnnnn is.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Maybe something for 0.8.2?

Yikes!

Fortunately, seems like people are saavy enough make these little changes. Which is good, because I'd like to take some time and focus on some of the bigger to-dos for this script (though I think in terms of general usability, it has arrived.)

So messing around with the Nuvola and great KDE packages I was talking about, it doesn't look like there's any easy way to translate them over. So I'm personally going to skip it, because gathering the ends of other people's work isn't what this project is supposed to be about; It's supposed to be about enabling a team of our own to design stuff just for NeoOffice.

Okay, that sounded a little soap-boxy. But you get my drift. I will convert the old set we had because I could use the spreadsheet you made and/or run it backwards through the slotlist. It will take a little hacking, so maybe over the weekend.

If anyone did want to follow up on those other two icons sets, here's what I found:

Nuvola seems to be an entire set of Icons for a whole operating system. Somewhere aroudn 1500 icons, which could probably be sorted out to a decent set for Neo:
http://www.icon-king.com/index.php?p=23

The KDE set seems to be in all sorts of confusing names, the package is available here:
http://kde.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=314&expandFolder=314&folderID=0
You probably want do download the ooo-KDE_icons-src-0.3.tar.bz2 package, it seemed the closest to useable. This person here seems to be doing some sort of cataloging for these icons already and might be worth asking for help in putting together a package:
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/blog/

Anyway, I'm not poo-pooing what could be made from these, or other existing icons sets. They were made by talented people and are completely open source. Many of them look right at home on the OS X desktop.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject:

Okay, I lied about my compulsiveness. I went ahead and converted the KDE from version 0.7 and put them up at the usual spot.

I noticed something interesting along the way: There are 171 icons in the set, but NeoIconer reported it was replacing 183 in the program. After some tinkering, I was able to determine that the slotlist we are using repeats use of the same icons, two or three times. Effectively, about one hundred repetitions.

The optimist would say that means a hundred less icons to create, a pessimist would say the slotlist will have to be tuned. Something that can be dealt with as we go along, for sure, but just figured I would mention.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject:

berchca wrote:
Okay, I lied about my compulsiveness. I went ahead and converted the KDE from version 0.7 and put them up at the usual spot.

I noticed something interesting along the way: There are 171 icons in the set, but NeoIconer reported it was replacing 183 in the program. After some tinkering, I was able to determine that the slotlist we are using repeats use of the same icons, two or three times. Effectively, about one hundred repetitions.

Good point. I had been suspecting this. Feel free to focus on big things. If I or anyone else can sort out little details, we'll post them here and hopefully you can just scoop them up in a next revision.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4