Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Torrent not working
Torrent not working

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Torrent not working

Downloaded the torrent file and it appears that it is not working. I have NO seeds and it appears as if I'm the only one on the torrent. I don't have a torrent checker, but Azureus mounted the torrent file without a problem.
Is the torrent down, or do I have to get the .torrent again?

Thanks.

James McKenzie
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject:

You may need to just go and refetch the torrent again. According to the tracker, there's about six folks still seeding it. My primordial seed machine was going up and down as the powerbook went to sleep for a bit, but it should be back up and running in case the other seeders go bye bye.

ed
Hayke
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject:

okay, I've just started the Torrent to download, but what I was wondering...

I've never used bittorrent before, so how do I set my system to share my bit's and pieces to the rest who want to download wit Bittorrent?

Do I have to change my firewall? And how? I've tried the Azureus wiki, but I couldn't find anything...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject:

Hayke wrote:
I've never used bittorrent before, so how do I set my system to share my bit's and pieces to the rest who want to download wit Bittorrent?

My understanding is that the BT software does this automatically (although I've only used the official client, but to not do so seems like it would defeat the purpose of the protocol). I'm behind firewalls when I'm helping seed and people are able to grab from me, and I've not done anything to open ports, etc.

There are ways of setting limits on number of downloaders and upload bandwidth (indeed, the newest version of the official client makes it even easier to automatically stop seeding, which really doesn't help the leeching problem...) so that your normal internet activities don't get killed by downloaders. I've yet to notice a significant demand on Neo/J, however--usually a handful of folks on the day of release and the day after, and that's about it.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject:

Hayke wrote:
Do I have to change my firewall? And how? I've tried the Azureus wiki, but I couldn't find anything...

Nope, you shouldn't have to change your firewall to share via BT. I've seen some firewalls that do block the ports, though, so you may need to open up incoming/outgoing ports. Here's a quick FAQ with the port ranges:

http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/25.html

ed
Hayke
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks!

I'll have a look tomorrow, I'm out tonight.

Today there wasn't anyone online for the torrent to download, so I choose to use a mirrorsite, because I don't have much time to wait for a download (and it has to work next monday.

Is there a possibility to add my (succeeded) download to the torrent? Or do I have to download a complete version by the bittorrent-system?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:

You can add a seeding site to the torrent easily even if you download the dimage from one of the mirrors. All that you need to do is to start the download of the torrent, but point the destination directory to the folder containing the fully downloaded disk image. BT should see that you have a file already there and then will just verify that it's complete. If you leave the BT client open after it verifies the file, it'll become another seeder.

It's not straightforward if you think of "client/server" type terms...there's no explicit "seed" state. Leaving the client open automatically flips your machine from client (downloading) into a server (allowing others to upload from you).

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
You can add a seeding site to the torrent easily even if you download the dimage from one of the mirrors. All that you need to do is to start the download of the torrent, but point the destination directory to the folder containing the fully downloaded disk image. BT should see that you have a file already there and then will just verify that it's complete. If you leave the BT client open after it verifies the file, it'll become another seeder.

It's not straightforward if you think of "client/server" type terms...there's no explicit "seed" state. Leaving the client open automatically flips your machine from client (downloading) into a server (allowing others to upload from you).

ed

However, downloading the file and then placing it on the BT is not what should be done for nettiquette reasons. This prevents those who are sharing pieces to share with anyone who has downloaded the entire file, excepting the first seed in the torrent. The concept is to share the entire spare bandwidth of those participating in the torrent. Only one system should start with a complete copy of the file, and that should be a trusted system. And, yes, I have downloaded complete Linux (yes I'm an Intel convert) distributions which are multi-GigaByte files. Of course, once you download the entire file from the torrent, you should leave the client running in seed mode until you have shared as much as you retrieved from the torrent back into it.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject:

First, I reread through this thread and I see that I was not the only one that could not connect to the torrent yesterday. I had to redownload the .torrent file from TrinityBBS and then I could get the file. Thus, I retract my statements on netequette. However, they are good things to keep in mind. Very Happy

Second, for some reason, the tracker is NOT updating when I disconnect from my ISP and reconnect. I actually tried to connect to myself (this was very interesting to watch since I use Azureus.) Can this be looked into at the tracker? (The IPs in question are in the 70.3.x.x and 68.241.x.x ranges, and if you do a whois you will find out who my ISP is.) If you have questions on how I'm connecting to the Internet, send me a private message.

Third, I still suffer from 'short' bandwidth and I'm looking at it. I will look through the man pages, but I would request technical assistance in setting the Maximum Transmit Unit (MTU) and Maximum Receive Unit (MRU) sizes to something other than the default of 1500.

Thanks folks for letting me work this out.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Hayke wrote:
okay, I've just started the Torrent to download, but what I was wondering...

Here is what I did:

Click on the Apple
Select System Preferences
Click on Sharing.
Click on the Firewall selection in the middle of the window.
Click on New
Click on the 'roller' menu and Select other
Type in the following in the ports area (this assumes that you did not change the port that Azureus uses for data connections and that you are using the default tracker port (these are 6881 and 6969 respectively))
6969, 6881
Type in BitTorrent or whatever you want to name this.
Click on the OK button
You should now see a BitTorrent selection and it should be ON. If is it not, click on the checkbox to the left of the selection.
External user's should be able to connect to your system now.

BTW, this change is for most, if not all, of the Bit Torrent clients.

Hope this is helpful.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject:

OK, I downloaded the torrent from Ed, opened it in Azureus, gave it the RC file I had already downloaded via HTTP. I also set ports 6881, 6882 and 6969 in both my firewall and router prefs. I also turned off UPnP as the wiki recommended.

And I get one of these black faces in status (thought the number of uploaders grew to 7 when I started it).

What to do?

UPDATE: I left it alone for a few hours and now it is uploading. At 1 kB/s...
Is it the small pieces in torrent file or something else? My global upload speed is throttled to 20 kB/s.

UPDATE: It works now, at 20 kB/s. Still don't understand why..

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
OK, I downloaded the torrent from Ed, opened it in Azureus, gave it the RC file I had already downloaded via HTTP. I also set ports 6881, 6882 and 6969 in both my firewall and router prefs. I also turned off UPnP as the wiki recommended.

And I get one of these black faces in status (thought the number of uploaders grew to 7 when I started it).

This means that you have not connected with the torrent's tracker. Then your face will turn red, yellow and then green as you connect to more seeding systems.
ovvidc wrote:

What to do?

Wait. If you never connect to the tracker, then click on the http:// link and see if you can connect to the tracker's web page.

ovvidc wrote:

UPDATE: I left it alone for a few hours and now it is uploading. At 1 kB/s...
Is it the small pieces in torrent file or something else? My global upload speed is throttled to 20 kB/s.

UPDATE: It works now, at 20 kB/s. Still don't understand why..

It can take some time to fully connect. And my connection is limited by my ISP. Depending on where I connect from this can be as little as 15kbs (yes, it is a mobile connection and some of the network runs as a Second Generation (2G, with data connections). This happened recently when they activated a few more towers in this area.

James
Hayke
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject:

Here's everything up and running now...

Thanks for all your help!

and now it's time to wait for some 'peers' Smile
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:

Hayke wrote:
Here's everything up and running now...

Thanks for all your help!

and now it's time to wait for some 'peers' Smile

You're welcome.

Right now there are 2 peers and I'm not one of them, finally. However, we will have to look at one torrent when the next RC or the final is released. This will work best as there should be one location to get information from.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Right now there are 2 peers and I'm not one of them, finally. However, we will have to look at one torrent when the next RC or the final is released. This will work best as there should be one location to get information from.

I used Ed's torrent and tracker and I find 9 uploaders...
Sent out 700MB by now..

Ciao,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2