· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Installing a new font in OOo
Installing a new font in OOo

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gareth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Installing a new font in OOo

I'm using OOo 1.03 on Mac OS X 10.2. The installation of OOo automatically converted many of my fonts for use, but missed those in my `/Users/myname/Library/Fonts/ folder. Now I'd like to install the Gentium font (http://www.sil.org/~gaultney/gentium/download.html) which is available in Mac and Windows TrueType files. So the question is: how to install this font so that OOo can use it?

-Gareth Jones
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a new font in OOo

Gareth wrote:
I'm using OOo 1.03 on Mac OS X 10.2. The installation of OOo automatically converted many of my fonts for use, but missed those in my `/Users/myname/Library/Fonts/ folder. Now I'd like to install the Gentium font (http://www.sil.org/~gaultney/gentium/download.html) which is available in Mac and Windows TrueType files. So the question is: how to install this font so that OOo can use it?

If the font is one that can be converted by the 'fondu' program (which is likely in this case), then either use the 'fondu' program directly (left as an exercise to the reader), or simply drop the font(s) onto the "Start OpenOffice.org" application icon, if using "Start OpenOffice.org" (read the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation if you need more information).

Regards, Terry Teague
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]
Gareth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: installing font

Thanks for the reply. I did drag the font (Mac version) onto the Launch OpenOffice icon and it let me know that it was being converted. It still isn't in the OpenOffice font menu, though, despite quitting and restarting both the program and the X server. Any more suggestions? Or should I just go with OpenOffice.org/J?

-Gareth
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject:

Try deleting the file

/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/share/psprint/pspfontcache

and then restarting OOo. If you add a new font, OOo doesn't always regenerate its font cache holding font metrics, locations on disk, etc. It's yet another instance of it trying to reinvent the wheel and failing Sad

Neo/J should give you less troubles with fonts then OOo X11. Apple's JVM handles fonts quite well, and the first time I used Neo/J I was impressed beyond belief...it renders some of them better then my poorly-tuned ATSUI code Smile

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Adding a font

OPENSTEP wrote:
Try deleting the file

/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/share/psprint/pspfontcache

and then restarting OOo. If you add a new font, OOo doesn't always regenerate its font cache holding font metrics, locations on disk, etc. It's yet another instance of it trying to reinvent the wheel and failing Sad

ed

I should probably add that step to the next version of "Start OpenOffice.org".

Regards, Terry
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Adding Fonts

When I drop a xxx.dfont onto Start OpenOffice.org the xxx.ttf appears at the / level. I then transfer the xxx.ttf to /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/Share/fonts/truetype.

Using AGex 1.2.8, I extracted AppleGaramond.
Then I used the above procedure, and … "Bob's your uncle!" (a phrase that means "It works!")

Cheers!
Al
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Fonts

amaloney wrote:
When I drop a xxx.dfont onto Start OpenOffice.org the xxx.ttf appears at the / level. I then transfer the xxx.ttf to /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/Share/fonts/truetype.

It shouldn't do that - the only thing I can think of is that "Start OpenOffice.org" can't find your OpenOffice.org installation. I would be curious to know if there is anything special about your OpenOffice.org configuration that I should know about.

Regards, Terry
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Adding Fonts

I have:
/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/Start OpenOffice.org

Start OpenOffice.org was Created and Modified on 5/31/03 (I presume that means 2003.05.31). The Version is listed as http://porting.openoffice.org/mac

In Start OpenOffice.org itself the version is 1.0b8.
The Preferences are set to X11.app and OpenOffice.org 1.0.3, while
«Support Direct to Postscript Printing» is set.

I also have another directory
/Applications/OpenOffice/Start_OpenOffice.org that contains two directories:
(1) App_Start_OpenOffice.org/Crystal Start OpenOfice.org Icons
(2) Doc_Start_OpenOffice.org which contains the ReadMe files.

I am running OS X 10.2.8.

Some months ago when I was running OS X 10.2.6 and dropped files on Start OpenOffice.org, in addition to the xxx.ttf files, I got multiple other files with a strange extension (I cannot remember what it was). I discarded those, as I had remembered reading instructions to do so when using the CLI. Thing worked OK.

This did not happen with my last conversion of AppleGaramond as extracted using AGex 1.2.8 - only xxx.ttf files appeared.

You have deflated me, Terry;) I was quite pleased with my solution.

Am I doing something wrong?

As fot the OpenOffice.org configuration - I would not know where to look and what to look for.

Cheers!!
Al Maloney
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Fonts

amaloney wrote:
I have:
/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/Start OpenOffice.org

Start OpenOffice.org was Created and Modified on 5/31/03 (I presume that means 2003.05.31). The Version is listed as http://porting.openoffice.org/mac

In Start OpenOffice.org itself the version is 1.0b8.
The Preferences are set to X11.app and OpenOffice.org 1.0.3, while
«Support Direct to Postscript Printing» is set.

All that sounds normal.

From your question about the date - are you using something other than US English language/date format in Mac OS X? Also that URL listed in the Get Info Version - I haven't seen that appear since the very early days of "Start OpenOffice.org" on Mac OS X 10.1.x - the URL is in the "application bundle", but at least on my machines, the Get Info usually shows a copyright notice and the version #.

amaloney wrote:
I also have another directory
/Applications/OpenOffice/Start_OpenOffice.org that contains two directories:
(1) App_Start_OpenOffice.org/Crystal Start OpenOfice.org Icons
(2) Doc_Start_OpenOffice.org which contains the ReadMe files.

That should have no effect on the problem at hand, but I am a little unclear how you got to that point - the OOo 1.0.3GM installer doesn't install those pieces in that way (that I remember), but the separately downloadable "Start OpenOffice.org" pieces from 1 web site are named App...dmg.sit and Doc...dmg.sit, and I guess you downloaded these pieces, and unstuffed into the /Applications folder. No matter.

amaloney wrote:
I am running OS X 10.2.8.

I haven't done any testing on 10.2.8 yet.

amaloney wrote:
Some months ago when I was running OS X 10.2.6 and dropped files on Start OpenOffice.org, in addition to the xxx.ttf files, I got multiple other files with a strange extension (I cannot remember what it was). I discarded those, as I had remembered reading instructions to do so when using the CLI. Thing worked OK.

Yes, there are other files that get created. In the next version of "Start OpenOffice.org" I will probably delete anything that is not a ".ttf" file.

amaloney wrote:
You have deflated me, Terry;) I was quite pleased with my solution.

Am I doing something wrong?

As fot the OpenOffice.org configuration - I would not know where to look and what to look for.

Your solution is fine - not everyone is as clever as you to figure it out Wink

I don't believe you are doing anything wrong, but I would like to understand what is causing the problem, to prevent it happening in the future. I will have to do some more investigation on my end.

Regards, Terry
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1