Welcome to NeoOffice developer notes and announcements
NeoOffice
Developer notes and announcements
 
 

Download or installation problems? Try these steps
Problems after upgrading to NeoOffice 2017? Try these steps


Support
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki


Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice


Downloads
· Download NeoOffice


RSS Feeds
· Announcements Only
· All Posts


  
NeoOffice :: View topic - 680 m92 Darwin/MacOSX ?
680 m92 Darwin/MacOSX ?
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
guest
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: 680 m92 Darwin/MacOSX ? Reply with quote

Just wondered whrer to find an actual build of OO 1.9.92 for Darwin/MacOSX. Does anyone know a mirror?
Back to top
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier


Joined: Feb 01, 2004
Posts: 4588

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest build I've seen in m91, posted yesterday by NAKATA, Maho at ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/1.9m91/

Unlike Pavel's builds, it unzips as a complete installed OOo folder (so it doesn't fubar permissions on / and /Applications, but some of the folders aren't properly locked down like they are in 1.1.2 and other 1.9.xx builds).

Smokey

_________________
"[...] whether the duck drinks hot chocolate or coffee is irrelevant." -- ovvldc and sardisson in the NeoWiki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
guest
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for the address. I am still downloading and eager to see the new build;)
George
Back to top
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly


Joined: Apr 01, 2005
Posts: 1055
Location: Southeastern Arizona

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sardisson wrote:
The latest build I've seen in m91, posted yesterday by NAKATA, Maho at ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/1.9m91/

Unlike Pavel's builds, it unzips as a complete installed OOo folder (so it doesn't fubar permissions on / and /Applications, but some of the folders aren't properly locked down like they are in 1.1.2 and other 1.9.xx builds).

Smokey


Smokey:

Is there a torrent available for this program?

Thanks.

James McKenzie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amaloney
Captain


Joined: Jun 15, 2003
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokey

What do you mean when you say

Quote:
but some of the folders aren't properly locked down like they are in 1.1.2 and other 1.9.xx builds

_________________
Sláinte!
Al
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier


Joined: Feb 01, 2004
Posts: 4588

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amaloney wrote:
What do you mean when you say

Quote:
but some of the folders aren't properly locked down like they are in 1.1.2 and other 1.9.xx builds


The 1.1.2 release has the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder and all of its subdirectories are owned by root:admin (I recall seeing in the readme or somewhere else that this was done beginning in 1.1.x on all UNIX platforms for security reasons), whereas Maho's build ends up being owned by user_who_uncompresses_it:unknown. This perhaps not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it (IIRC, the older 1.9.xx builds that installed in /opt were also locked down in this way).

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Is there a torrent available for this program?


Not that I know of. I haven't made one because I'm on-and-offline atm.

Smokey

_________________
"[...] whether the duck drinks hot chocolate or coffee is irrelevant." -- ovvldc and sardisson in the NeoWiki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Guest






PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sardisson wrote:
The 1.1.2 release has the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder and all of its subdirectories are owned by root:admin (I recall seeing in the readme or somewhere else that this was done beginning in 1.1.x on all UNIX platforms for security reasons), whereas Maho's build ends up being owned by user_who_uncompresses_it:unknown. This perhaps not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it (IIRC, the older 1.9.xx builds that installed in /opt were also locked down in this way).

I was actually taught the exact opposite. You don't want to bring in an application as root:[anything] unless you completely trust the originator. Of course, this can make 'sharing' an application a bear, but there is alway sudo chown root * in the affected directory from a terminal session. This mainly applies to test software (which is what I do for a living and fun.) You do not want an untested application running as root and then have it run (whether by accident or deliberately) cd /; rm -rf -y *
If you don't know what that does, it is a basic delete everything and don't ask questions. This has appeared, in various forms, in code.
[quote="sardisson']
Not that I know of. I haven't made one because I'm on-and-offline atm.

Smokey[/quote]
Well, I'm really off the net right now, but I will be back in about two weeks. When I'm on the net, I use a dial-up type connection, which makes serving a torrent very hard, but I can still build on, using Trinity as the tracker.

James
Back to top
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier


Joined: Feb 01, 2004
Posts: 4588

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I was actually taught the exact opposite. You don't want to bring in an application as root:[anything] unless you completely trust the originator.


IIUC, the folders and files are owned by root to prevent anyone/thing from mucking with them, but the app runs as whichever user launches it, not root (unless you happen to be silly enough to login is root).

Most of the apps that make up the "Core services" of Mac OS X are owned by root, but they run as me, e.g., when I decompress a zip archive using BOMArchiveHelper.

Smokey

_________________
"[...] whether the duck drinks hot chocolate or coffee is irrelevant." -- ovvldc and sardisson in the NeoWiki
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi


Joined: Sep 13, 2004
Posts: 2352
Location: Zürich, CH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sardisson wrote:
IIUC, the folders and files are owned by root to prevent anyone/thing from mucking with them, but the app runs as whichever user launches it, not root (unless you happen to be silly enough to login is root).


On other words, you need root permissions to change the app, and because Patrick blocked it, you cannot even run the app as root.

Sorry James, I think your point is a bit off. Though you can still have crappy installer mucking up your drive when given root permissions.

_________________
"What do you think of Western Civilization?"
"I think it would be a good idea!"
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sewsan
Blue Pill


Joined: Dec 02, 2004
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !

Did you try the build 1.9m93 from ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/1.9m93/ ?

When running soffice, I get the grey window but impossible to open any document, the app crashs immediately !
Any idea, experience ?

geoffroy

_________________
tiBook 800MHz DVI --- MacOSX 3.9
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Terry Teague
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.9m9x Reply with quote

sewsan wrote:
Did you try the build 1.9m93 from ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/1.9m93/ ?

When running soffice, I get the grey window but impossible to open any document, the app crashs immediately !
Any idea, experience ?

You are not alone. It works for some people, and not for others. These are developer releases - use at your own risk, etc... The last version that sort of worked for me was 1.9m79.

Regards, Terry
Back to top
yoxi
Cipher


Joined: Sep 07, 2004
Posts: 1799
Location: Dawlish, Devon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sewsan wrote:
Did you try the build 1.9m93 from ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/1.9m93/ ?
When running soffice, I get the grey window but impossible to open any document, the app crashs immediately ! Any idea, experience ?

If that one doesn't work for you, try http://ooo.lab-project.net/~ebachard/MacOSX/2.0/m93/, which is a bigger download but works fine on my tibook in 10.3.9.

- yoxi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ipan
Blue Pill


Joined: Jul 10, 2005
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: 1.9.m107 Reply with quote

I have just downloaded 1.9.m107 and it was fast in OS X 10.4.2 on a PowerBook.

<http://ooo.lab-project.net/~ebachard/MacOSX/2.0/m_107/Tiger/en-US/>

_________________
Ivan Pan http://flickr.com/photos/ivanpan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Planamesa Inc.
NeoOffice is a registered trademark of Planamesa Inc. and may not be used without permission.
PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Page Generation: 0.03 Seconds