· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Java in Tiger
Java in Tiger

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Java in Tiger

I just saw the Tiger preview site (now that the shipping date is known) and under the Java heading is still says 1.4.2...

I am pretty sure it is a Tiger updated page, since Tiger is actually mentioned with regard to all of the new accessibility stuff being available to Java as well.

So I guess Java 1.5 is still a little way off?

And on side note: Did they just rename 'Rendezvous' into 'Bonjour'? Sounds crappy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Java in Tiger

ovvldc wrote:

And on side note: Did they just rename 'Rendezvous' into 'Bonjour'? Sounds crappy.

'Bonjour' is better than 'OpenTalk' or 'OpenTCP/IP' that was considered.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Java in Tiger

Anonymous wrote:
'Bonjour' is better than 'OpenTalk' or 'OpenTCP/IP' that was considered.

Yeah, but why throw out 'Rendezvous'? Maybe I don't like it because Bonjour in Dutch is largely used as 'goodbye' with negative connotations. And Rendezvous has something just appealingly clandestine about it Wink.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Java in Tiger

ovvldc wrote:
Yeah, but why throw out 'Rendezvous'? Maybe I don't like it because Bonjour in Dutch is largely used as 'goodbye' with negative connotations. And Rendezvous has something just appealingly clandestine about it Wink.

Rendezvous was dropped because of legal issues. Too bad... it sounded good.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject:

I read somewhere that Java 1.5 is being planned as an upgrade download, similar to the way Java 1.4 was deployed for 10.2 systems. Regardless, it'll still be a significant task to move to 1.5 (or 1.4...) since we need to replace the Carbon pieces with Cocoa equivalents for the workarounds for events missing in the Java AWT concept of the universe.

ed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I read somewhere that Java 1.5 is being planned as an upgrade download, similar to the way Java 1.4 was deployed for 10.2 systems. Regardless, it'll still be a significant task to move to 1.5 (or 1.4...) since we need to replace the Carbon pieces with Cocoa equivalents for the workarounds for events missing in the Java AWT concept of the universe.

ed

We'll have to wait and see.

But don't be surprised if Java 1.5 is only available for 10.4.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone have a pre-release version of Tiger installed? If so, does Neo/J 1.1 RC run OK?

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

Java 1.4 is NOT available for 10.2. You only get Java 1.4 with Panther.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
But don't be surprised if Java 1.5 is only available for 10.4.

True. Though I am wondering why Apple hasn't sent it out yet. Let's face it; 1.3 to 1.4 was a major rewrite because the interface was moved from Carbon to Cocoa. I can't really think of anything big to change for Java 1.5..

OTOH, all of the engineers may have just been *really* busy with OS X Tiger.

Guest too

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:

Well, yes and no... ; )

http://www.resexcellence.com/hack_html_03/11-18-03.shtml
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:

Actually, Jaguar got Java 1.4.1 via in one of the Apple updates. I cannot remember which one, but it was somewhere between 10.2.3 and 10.2.5.

How do I know? I run Jaguar as my primary desktop since I need to compile Neo/J on Panther.

In any case, Neo/J and OOo both still use Java 1.3.1 so my immediate concern is whether Tiger ships with Java 1.3.1 and, if so, did they change one of its dependencies such that Java 1.3.1 is unstable. This happened in Panther several times. I hope Tiger does not repeat this pattern.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
In any case, Neo/J and OOo both still use Java 1.3.1 so my immediate concern is whether Tiger ships with Java 1.3.1 and, if so, did they change one of its dependencies such that Java 1.3.1 is unstable. This happened in Panther several times. I hope Tiger does not repeat this pattern.

Which reminds me.. I read in the dev@porting posts that OOo 2.0 uses Java 1.4 for many things. And also 1.3 for others, which they are apparently trying to get rid of. It seems like they are trying to move over to Java 1.4 completely. While I am not a developer, I wonder if this impacts on the Java version that Neo will need to use when it moves to the OOo 2 codebase?

Does this mean the roadmap for NeoOffice now roughly reads:
1 - Release NeoOffice/J 1.1 Final, based on OOo 1.1.4.
2 - Release NeoOffice/J 1.5 GM, based on OOo 1.1.5.
3 - Redevelop NeoOffice codebase to use Java 1.4.
4 - Move NeoOffice to OOo 2.0 codebase.
5 - Release cycle for NeoOffice 2.

Just trying to get a feel for the process here..

Also, could you indicate what you will need to package new icons for the release. From feedback in these forums I get the impression that the alternative toolbar icon sets out there are greatly appreciated. I don't know how we can arrange for choosing a new set, but I am sure that prettier icons, especially in the most common toolbars, would enhance the appeal of the application. (For some reason, the least used are better. IMHO, the Draw icons are generally nice.)

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:

As a followup, I think the function bar set the most important, with some of the main toolbar icons as well. Here is one of the toolbar lists, I have more in the GTK and NeoIconer scripts if anyone needs the reference.

Function bar icons:

internet
stop
new (hardcoded)
new-template (hardcoded)
open
save
save_as
edit
save-pdf
print
send-fax
cut
copy
paste
undo
redo
navigator
styles
insert_url
hyperlink-toolbar
fullscreen
record-macro
insert_image
close

Easiest would be if people nominate some replacement files and put them somewhere. then we can see where consensus builds.

moonlight
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Does anyone have a pre-release version of Tiger installed? If so, does Neo/J 1.1 RC run OK?

Patrick

I have a Tiger pre-release (actually i think it is the release since we're only two days before launch) and NeoOffice/J 1.1 RC runs fine on it. I haven't had time to try it thoroughly however, but my wife worked quite a few moment with it and it worked well.

Java 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 seems to ship with Tiger since in Application/Utilities/Java there are both versioin for the java plugin settings.
I don't know however with which NeoOffice run.

But i don't think i should tell much more, Apple seems paranoid about 'secrets' surrounding Tiger, i might only be sued for having spread the version numbers of the JREs...but is this valuable information?
Well, however, i'm gonna write a spotlight importer for OpenOffice.org documents so their content can be stored in the database.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:

moonlight wrote:
Well, however, i'm gonna write a spotlight importer for OpenOffice.org documents so their content can be stored in the database.

I think Ed is already working on this, so you might check with him to make sure you don't duplicate effort Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2