Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J logo and graphics???
NeoOffice/J logo and graphics???

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice/J logo and graphics???

Who has made the Neo/J logo (the Neo/J "topic" and "neoheader")?

And has he/her any thoughts on graphic design for newsletters/folders/flyers/posters etc. for the release of the finished version 1.1?

If anyone can supply me with hires originals, I'll se if I can contribute in making marketing/promotional material that anyone can download and use.

Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject:

Dan (foxcorner)--as opposed to Dan (fa)--did the new artwork. I did the icons, so I (somewhere) have the hi-res version of the ship-in-globe. I'd actually been thinking about putting up a "media" page on the wiki with some less-compressed/less-pixelated versions of that, since I noticed a lot of places doing listings or reviews have been using low-quality versions....

One of the other marketing/promotional tasks we've mentioned is Jake's "about the modules" marketing project (this is Neo/J Writer, these are some things it can do, this is why it's better than Word...), the beginnings of which you can see linked from here (there's actually a forum topic about it somewhere, too...).

Smokey

Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I'd actually been thinking about putting up a "media" page on the wiki with some less-compressed/less-pixelated versions of that, since I noticed a lot of places doing listings or reviews have been using low-quality versions....

One of the other marketing/promotional tasks we've mentioned is Jake's "about the modules" marketing project (this is Neo/J Writer, these are some things it can do, this is why it's better than Word...)
Smokey

I think a media page on the wiki would be a great idea. So can also people (like myself) post pdfs of flyers and other stuff, that might accumulate some useful info/promo material over time.

Comparing Ms and Neo/J is a good idea! I hope that it can be finished before the 1.1 release.

But what is the tentative release date of ver. 1.1? Knowing roughly if it is 1. May or 1. June would be helpful to keep momentum and coordinate different activities. (For instance, what about a press page as a starting point on the wiki? A page with the pressrelease, and a summary of neo/j history and commented links for more info? It is most of all a cut-and-paste job, but can make the info more accessible for journalists working on a deadline...)

One (maybe?) stupid question: is neowiki thought to/supposed to be translated into different languages?

Smile

k
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject:

knutkja wrote:
Comparing Ms and Neo/J is a good idea! I hope that it can be finished before the 1.1 release.

Everyone feel free to pitch in Smile If we wait for the people who start (big) things in the wiki to finish them, they may never get finished Smile

knutkja wrote:
But what is the tentative release date of ver. 1.1? Knowing roughly if it is 1. May or 1. June would be helpful to keep momentum and coordinate different activities.

I asked, and Patrick said about a month....

knutkja wrote:
(For instance, what about a press page as a starting point on the wiki? A page with the pressrelease, and a summary of neo/j history and commented links for more info? It is most of all a cut-and-paste job, but can make the info more accessible for journalists working on a deadline...)

This is a good idea...rather than redoing the front page, we can make a prominent link on it to the "Press Page", like we used to do for the torrents. A good bit of the background and history is present in the "Neo History" article, but a condensed version (executive summary) would be needed.

However, I'd prioritize activities in this order:
  1. Announcement
  2. Neo/J vs MS comparison stuff
  3. Writing/condensing stuff for the press page
  4. Translating the NeoWiki

knutkja wrote:
One (maybe?) stupid question: is neowiki thought to/supposed to be translated into different languages?

Yes. Jake was setting up the infrastructure, but I don't know if it's all ready yet.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Everyone feel free to pitch in Smile If we wait for the people who start (big) things in the wiki to finish them, they may never get finished Smile

Wiki are like that. The thing is in starting in the first place.

sardisson wrote:
This is a good idea...rather than redoing the front page, we can make a prominent link on it to the "Press Page", like we used to do for the torrents. A good bit of the background and history is present in the "Neo History" article, but a condensed version (executive summary) would be needed.

Good idea. BTW, the torrents will have to be put in place before we go live..

sardisson wrote:
However, I'd prioritize activities in this order:
  1. Announcement
  2. Neo/J vs MS comparison stuff
  3. Writing/condensing stuff for the press page
  4. Translating the NeoWiki

1. I'll fix the the Dutch translation when the final text is done
  2. Did that, see the press kit so far

knutkja wrote:

You claim to ask stupid questions too often. Take heart Smile.

Best wishes and good night,
Oscar

Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Any way to get ALL the screenshots so that they use the new color schemes? It looks so much better...

Edit: And I.. well, I wish it would ship with the purty icons sets...

W
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
Any way to get ALL the screenshots so that they use the new color schemes? It looks so much better...

Good point. Anyone have any more good files?

As for the icons, it somewhat depends on the progress Brett is making. I have no problems if someone wants to use all or some of the ones I have in use, but I am not sure what needs to be done for that. Patrick, any thought?

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:

I think we should add screenshot in the new schemes, yes, and perhaps move the old ones into the history article so the screenshots page is all RC Patch-1 level?

We need to start a document that has lots of languages/scripts in it. Sample phrase to use?

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:

I have some issues with our YES/no statements and wonder if some granularity might be in order in some cases, and rewording in others.

E.g., How many localizations ship in MSO? 5? so 40 ... 5

Which scripts does MSO support--they do East Asian, so we can't lump that in with the rest, at least.

I don't understand the "Unified User Interface" part....

WRT X11, it has partial support for international keyboards (WEur mainly; others partially work; East Asian doesn't at all, I think but we need to check), partial copy-paste support (128 chars, partially styled), partial normal Mac keyboard shortcuts (command) if you use the right option in Apple X11, I thought it had mouse-wheel support (I don't have a mouse), and it does have Finder (via Start OpenOffice.org) and Mail integration (Mail only, vs. Neo/J with Mail, Eudora, Entourage)...

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I don't understand the "Unified User Interface" part....

I meant that the stylist, menu's, buttons and whatnot basically look like and are arranged in the same way accross the components. I find that visually reassuring and aesthetically pleasing. Not to mention it is more easy to remember.

BTW, more granularity is an excellent idea. Does anyone know the exact facts?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: a difference between m$ office and neoj/oo

Be sure and list as one of the differences that neoj/oo is the tool to use if you're having problems with bugs or hangs/crashes in word - word is very picky and fragile. I had read about this elsewhere, and, boy, is it true.

I could not paste a graphic into the page header of the second and onwards header, from the body, and I tried everything I could think of.

Full disclosure: I had created the .doc file in neoj, first; it is possible that neoj/oo could have output the graphic in a way that m$ word doesn't like - I did not try re-importing the graphic, but tried every other graphic option I could see, as well as re-enter the header.

Both oo 1.0.3 and oo 1.1.4 had no problem moving the graphic (m$ office 2000 windows would hang every time under windows 9Cool. Once the graphic was moved in oo, m$ would work fine.

Glenn
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:49 am    Post subject:

The Press Kit page is gonna have to be split into 3 or 4 pages; it's so unwieldy atm.

I think it would also be nice to have a nice .sxw and .pdf of the all of the text parts of the press kit in one document for quick download/offline reference for the press.

I've retaken a number of my old screenshots with the new color scheme (I went with grey 20% as the document background; is that the consensus, grey 10% now being too light?) and will convert them and upload them as I get the chance.

I've also started soliciting text in multiple scripts/langs for our "massively multilingual" screenshot.

Smokey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The Press Kit page is gonna have to be split into 3 or 4 pages; it's so unwieldy atm.
Smokey

Seems like a good idea. The press page should be linked from the front page (or from the left margin main navigation, if it is thought of as permanent page for press releases...).

And the press page content could be the press release, and the other subjects (like the comparing of Neo/J and the others) could actually be a part of the general Neo/J presentation. In other words: Some of the splendid content of the press-kit-page could be placed elsewhere (in a place that seems logical within the neowiki structure), and could be linked from the press page... I think the main point with the press page is to have a main entrance for journalists, it is not important that all information is on that very page, as long as it is easy to navigate to it...

Regarding profiles: I think that they should be short, a few lines (like now), and for those who have a cv on the web, let's make a link.

Smile
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:

Seems like a good idea.

[The post above is from me, just forgot to log in... Smile ]

knut
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject:

As for comparisons, try this one from the makes of Mellel:
http://www.redlers.com/generalcomparison.html

Fortunately, NeoOffice has some improvements which seems to put it on top in some categories where it was running behind. Though some of the bottom categories make no sense to make (why so detailed?).

-Oz

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4