NeoOffice :: View topic - Bugs in RC2
Bugs in RC2

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Bugs in RC2

OK, thus far in RC2 we've had reported two bugs.

First, Eric has reported that apostrophes no longer function. He's using a German keyboard (I believe), and has the problem with typing apostrophes if the language of the document is set to either German or English. Can international users verify the proper functioning of their accent and non-accent keys on their installs? I, unfortunately, only have a physical US keyboard. I tried switching between US keymappings and French keymappings, and couldn't reproduce the bug to try and track down what may be causing it Sad I'm going to try installing German keymappings and see if that's the ticket.

Eric's also reported problems printing to a Lexmark Optra, problems that have been recurrant ever since our first 1.0.3 builds, I believe. Can others with Lexmarks test out printing? I've got a Lexmark Z25, and its PPD seems to be well behaved with the exception of including parentheses in some of its page sizes.

ed
absinth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: my (mis)expirience with oo1.0.3 RC 2

hi ed
i downloaded the tarball cause i coudn't get in the ftp server to download the normal install
i extracted the tarball and then:
me: cd oo; ./setup
oo-setup: please insert the disc labeled openoffice.org in your harddrive
me: choose the right directory with the install files and click ok
oo-setup: file LICENSE.html not found
me: ignore
oo-setup: an error occured while copying the file libdl.0.dylib to /Users/julian/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program
oo-setup: please insert the disc labeled openoffice.org in your harddrive
me: choose the right directory with the install files and click ok
oo-setup: file LICENSE.html not found
oo-setup (printed on the X11 terminal where i stared the setup): Abort
me: /Users/julian/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/soffic
oo (on the command line): Abort
i also tried copying the file libdl.0.dylib from /usr/local/lib to oo/program but oo still refuses to start and just prints out "Abort"
thanks
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...by chance are you encoutering the "Abort" message while the setup executable is in the "Creating Local Settings" phase? This is the phase that registers all of the installed components.

It's actually a frequent error that tends to occur on dual processor machines with the X11 based setup executable. Terry's seen it, as has Dan, and we don't even know what's causing it. If it's aborting in that particular spot, the only known workaround is to disable one of the processors in OpenFirmware, install the application, and then re-enable the second processor after the install is complete Sad I've never been able to reproduce it since I'm not lucky enough to have a DP machine. But I do have a 1GHz Cube Smile

The graphical installer doesn't suffer from that dilemma since it doesn't use that "create local settings" code.

ed
absinth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: one processor too much

hello, thanks for your feedback
yeah i indeed have a dual processor machine Wink
it seems like i have to try the graphical installer Sad...
would it help to give you a shell account on my machine?
regards...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject:

asxless reported that the RC2 tarball available from here and our mirrors may in fact contain an outdated version of the following two files:

libvcl641mxp.dylib
    libpsp641mxp.dylib

I did have problems with these two files when creating the local build, so they may in fact still be the RC1 versions in the RC2 tarball. If that happens, go to the OOoTesting iDisk (mirror link in Downloads). I put the two revised libraries into the ReleaseCandidates/Libraries folder. You can simply download the individual libraries and replace your local copy if the modification date is 6/2 instead of 6/13.

Also, you can use these two library files to update an RC1 install from either a tarball or a graphical installer to RC2. They're the only two dylibs that changed. The rest were configuration changes, most of which (like javarc) are already noted either here in testing or in the support forum Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: one processor too much

absinth wrote:

yeah i indeed have a dual processor machine Wink

I'm not sure how much I could do with the shell account, unfortunately, since OpenFirmware style fixes require really being at the comptuer Sad I'm still working on getting mirrors online for the graphical installer (it's just too darn big. i'm working on seeing if I can set up a BitTorrent server to do a P2P network for exchanging them, as well as other mirrors).

If it is fubaring in the Creating Local Settings, below are the instructions from our original Alpha release for disabling and re-enabling a processor. The original version didn't work on DPs at all. I suspect the underlying threading error only now exhibits itself in setup. Check out the following Apple QA document for disabling/renabling a processor and see if that helps:

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1141.html

This does remind me, however, that we really must document this issue in the release notes or downloads page for our tarball final. Most people with modern PowerMac towers will most definitely have DP machines, so the population of dualies has gone way up from the 9600/MP days. I had completely forgotten about it since I never see it.

ed <--- still cherishes his cube
absinth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: dis/enabling 2nd processor on the fly

FYI, you can dis/enable the second processor (and the L2 and L3 caches too! ) with CHUD available at
ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Testing_-_Debugging/Performance_tools/CHUD_2.5.3.dmg.bin
regards
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Man, I completely forgot about CHUD! I usually think of it only for stress testing. That's actually a much easier route to recommend to users instead of messing with the NVRAM commands and the like. I'll be sure to include both in the release notes :p

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Update on apostrophes...

OK, I got the German keyboard layout installed and have been playing around with apostrophes. I found two method for inserting apostrophes that seem to work...

One is the key next to the Delete key...KeyCaps seems to indicate this is an accent key that inserts accent aigu and accent grave. Holding down Option while pressing this key inserts an apostrophe.

I also found that the key above return (listed as a pound sign) inserts apostrophes when holding down Shift.

Does anyone with a German keyboard know which one is correct per the keys? OOo seems to be adhering to the same apostrophe behaviour as KeyCaps with the German keyboard layout (OS 10.2.6), so the only thing I can think of is that the German keyboard mapping itself may be wrong.

ed
absinth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Update on apostrophes...

OPENSTEP wrote:

One is the key next to the Delete key...KeyCaps seems to indicate this is an accent key that inserts accent aigu and accent grave. Holding down Option while pressing this key inserts an apostrophe.

well this one doesn't behave quite like in other applications
if i press this key and then space i get the apostrophe, but not if i press a normal key (like "d") afterwards. this is not consistent with TextEdit.app or BBEdit...
the other one (above the right shift key) works fine
(i'm using a german keyboard)
regards
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1