· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Two minor concerns about RC 2 installer
Two minor concerns about RC 2 installer

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Two minor concerns about RC 2 installer

I just installed RC 1 and noticed two minor inconveniences:

- At several steps during the installation the Next button becomes unresponsive for some time, but the pointer remains an arrow, not a rotating colored wheel. Thus, you tend to press the Next button several times, only to realize when the installer becomes responsive again that all these times have been noticed so that all the following installation screens are bypassed without your being able to read them, and the installation has been launched without your ultimate approval!

- The installer installs ESP GhostScript which is based on GhostScript 7.05. This is a problem for me as I have GhostScript 8 already installed and working happily with TeXShop http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop and teTeX http://www.rna.nl/ii.html and http://www.rna.nl/tex.html. Unfortunately ESP GS has been installed on top of GS 8, and partially erased it.

Thus I now want to uninstall ESP GS, but there is no log file to tell what has been put and where, and as for all OOo subinstallers, there is no Uninstall script for these ancillary programs. OpenOffice.org_1.0.3_InstallLog.log tells that an ESP GS .pkg file has been created during the installation, but it seems to be gone by now. Thus I'll just re-install GS 8 on top of ESP GS, and hope for the best.

In any case, your efforts are really impressive: software works, localization works, and fonts work too. Now I can use Geneva and have new spreadsheets look almost exactly as they did with the previous spreadsheet manager that I was using, Claris Resolve (sic!) in Classic mode.

Bravo!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Two minor concerns about RC 2 installer

Bruno wrote:
At several steps during the installation the Next button becomes unresponsive for some time, but the pointer remains an arrow, not a rotating colored wheel.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have any way to fix this...the cursor changing to a busy cursor is controlled by the Java code, and even under Java 1.4.1 cursor changing is a bit flaky if the cursor actually isn't in the window in question. Also, we don't have the source code to the Java installer driver, just a license to use the builder.

[quote="Bruno"]The installer installs ESP GhostScript which is based on GhostScript 7.05. This is a problem for me as I have GhostScript 8 already installed and working happily with TeXShop[quote]

This is interesting because the TeXShop with GS 8 is actually a configuration that one of our testers reported as being incompatible with OpenOffice.org. Only after he reinstalled ESP-GS 7 was he able to print again. This is why I had automatically installed GS 7 if I saw that only GS 8 was there...hadn't been aware that this would hork the GS 8 installation.

I will change this to a warning message in the next rev of the installer. Instead of just requiring you to install it, I'll provide a dialog informing the user that they have GS 8 installed, but for proper functionality OOo requires ESP GS 7, and that if they do install it they may need to reinstall GS 8.

You should be able to find the receipts from the ESP GS installer in /Library/Receipts so you can at least figure out what they installed, if not use a clever utility to uninstall it Smile

ed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This is interesting because the TeXShop with GS 8 is actually a configuration that one of our testers reported as being incompatible with OpenOffice.org. Only after he reinstalled ESP-GS 7 was he able to print again. This is why I had automatically installed GS 7 if I saw that only GS 8 was there...hadn't been aware that this would hork the GS 8 installation.

Actually today on the OS X TeX mailing list, Rene Borgella Jr described how to get things to work:

Code:
I am NOT a Unix-savvy person, but I do have OOo and TexShop installed
and working.  I have an older version of OOo, though and haven't
gotten RC 1 yet.  I did have problems with printing on my Epson and
HP printers with both OOo and TeXShop installed.  All worked fine
with just one or the other, but with both installed, I had problems.
Basically, stuff sent to the printer came out as gibberish.

I was able to get all to work by:

1) installing TeXshop with i-Installer using Ghostscript 7 (for some
reason, I couldn't get it to work with all else using Ghostscript 8)

2) Installing OOo and latest versions of Gimp-Print with the
associated packages (gtk? or gtt).

3) Installing CUPS and using its drivers (NOT OSX installed drivers)
for my Epson 740 and HP 842 and HP LaserJet printers

NOw all works fine.

I just haven't tried his suggestions, as I don't feel Unix-savvy enough to experiment and install all these supplementary components (Gimp-Print, GTK and CUPS).

Printing from OOo works on an HP LaserJet 4050n at work, with RC 1 + localization RC 2 + GS 8 installed on top of it. (Except duplex printing, but I haven't tried hard.) I'll try tonight at home with an HP DeskJet 5550 (with duplex accessory) connected to an Airport Extreme base station and accessed via Rendezvous. It did work yesterday with Final Beta (except duplex printing).

Quote:
You should be able to find the receipts from the ESP GS installer in /Library/Receipts so you can at least figure out what they installed, if not use a clever utility to uninstall it.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the existence of this directory.
fa
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

I seriously doubt that duplex printing will ever work with the X11 version. But hey, if it does, I'm impressed and more power to you Smile

There are some catches with USB shared printers (ie Rendezvous shared printers). First, there is no PPD in /etc/cups/ppd like there is for all locally attached or network-enabled printers. So we have to use a stripped-down PPD that has a couple options in it. The problem here is that since we have no idea what the capabilities of the shared printer are (and neither does OS X actually, it uses a "safe" page size that most printers can print into), we have to assume the worst. Therefore about the only thing you'll get are page size options, and nothing else.

(note: if you crash for some reason, make sure MacShared.ppd is in the <ooo-install>/share/psprint/driver directory. RC3 will fix this.)

Dan
fa@ooo
Bruno

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I seriously doubt that duplex printing will ever work with the X11 version. But hey, if it does, I'm impressed and more power to you

I think I'll have to wait for my next incarnation before having super-powers Smile Duplex printing didn't really work, and is still no longer working: output was, and still is, simplex. The only difference is that before (with Final Beta) the Printer/Options dialog had a Duplex (long- or short-edge) option, whereas now (with RC 1) there is no such option.

Quote:
There are some catches with USB shared printers (ie Rendezvous shared printers). First, there is no PPD in /etc/cups/ppd like there is for all locally attached or network-enabled printers. So we have to use a stripped-down PPD that has a couple options in it. The problem here is that since we have no idea what the capabilities of the shared printer are (and neither does OS X actually, it uses a "safe" page size that most printers can print into), we have to assume the worst. Therefore about the only thing you'll get are page size options, and nothing else.

A possibly related point: I installed first my Rendezvous printer, then added it in Print Center (installing HP drivers and selecting the right PPD), then installed OOo Final Beta and printed from it, then installed RC 1. At the time I was using Final Beta, I first saw two HP DeskJet 5550 available in the print dialog; I imagine one (called deskjet_5550 ) was created automatically by OOo and the other (called hp_deskjet_5550) corresponded to the printer I had defined in Print Center ? or the other way round. I suppressed the first and kept the second, which was the one offering me supplementary options (like Duplex printing).

Does the fact that I have a file /private/etc/cups/ppd/hp_deskjet_5550.ppd indicate that hp_deskjet_5550 is a Print Center-created printer?[/quote]
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject:

Erf, as to which one is which, Dan (fa) will have to answer that one. I think that one is the print center named queue and the other fetched from that cups PPD. Do you have the gimp-print drivers installed as well?

I shall be making the GS 7 install optional, and will include in the dialog and readme pointers to the references about the GS 8 installation and usage. Thanks for helping to distill all of this down for me! Between tracking version dependencies between the (gasp) 5+ other projects OOo depends on, it makes one's head swim. Aha...perhaps a testing matrix would help, at least to enumerate the versions that are in our RC/GM installers and what's also been reported to work...

FWIW, the missing MacShared.ppd should only be if you used the "tarball" installer. It should be in the graphical RC1 installer.

Also, FWIW, the RC# versioning is different between the localization and OOo installers...I'm hoping to at least keep the tarball the same as the full dimage Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1