NeoOffice :: View topic - Performance
Performance

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Performance

Hi,

I found no topic which deals with performance. NeoOffice is "real Mac" but the performance is so bad I can not work with it on my PowerBook with 512KB RAM.

So my questions: Are there any settings I can use to increase performance?

Did I something wrong with Neo - I will not hurt him Smile
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance

EW wrote:
Hi,

I found no topic which deals with performance. NeoOffice is "real Mac" but the performance is so bad I can not work with it on my PowerBook with 512KB RAM.

So my questions: Are there any settings I can use to increase performance?

Did I something wrong with Neo - I will not hurt him Smile

Make sure the "Turbo" button is pushed in.

W
EW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Where is the button

Hi,

I can not find the turbo button. Is it on the back of my monitor?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Performance

EW wrote:

1 - make sure foreground application get priority (in system preferences)
2 - do not run too many application concurrently
3 - get more RAM if you do

Unfortunately, Neo/J has two hungry dependencies: OpenOffice.org, which requires a lot of cycles and RAM and Apple's Java, which eats a lot of RAM.

Anecdotal evidence point indicates that processor performance does not matter that much (except on one of those hyperfast dual G5s) but more RAM usually boosts performance considerably. We have had no complaints from anyone with 1 GB or more, even in older machines, but a flood from people with 256 MB.

I have 640 MB on an 800 Mhz iBook myself and, while I wish it would be faster, I am pretty comfortable.

Best wishes,
Osccar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:

I have only 512 MB in my PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz and I don't consider the performance bad; it is just a touch sluggish sometimes, and I never run Photoshop while I'm running Neo/J, but otherwise it seems OK. If yours is an older PowerBook (slower processor), more RAM would probably help "make up" for the slower processor...

(Our department's iMac is a Summer 2000 {Northern Hemisphere} model, 333 MHz G3 and 128 MB, and OS X runs OK--but not any apps--as my basis for comparison of what really slow really is.)

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject:

Performance on my PB (see sig) is pretty good - it has a few annoying delays here and there (e.g. the first time I pop-up the contextual menu for a spelling mistake), but nothing that makes it remotely unusable. The biggest performance issue for me (as it is for everyone Wink ) is the time it takes to load initially, but even then it isn't too bad.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject:

After initial launch and I finally wake up, (sorry Pat, I know you hate that inside joke) Neo/J ver. 0.7 runs acceptably well for me with only 256 MB ram and 800Mhz cpu, although I rarely have much else going on simultaneously. So I would probably think NOJ v 1.1 with 500 MB RAM and 1 GHZ plus, would 'fly'.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject:

Hmmm... seems I dropped 12MB somewhere...
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
After initial launch and I finally wake up, (sorry Pat, I know you hate that inside joke) Neo/J ver. 0.7 runs acceptably well for me with only 256 MB ram and 800Mhz cpu, although I rarely have much else going on simultaneously. So I would probably think NOJ v 1.1 with 500 MB RAM and 1 GHZ plus, would 'fly'.

Here is something you can try:

Open a terminal session
Type in sudo top
Take a look at the PhysMem line
If you have little or no memory left, you are suffering from 'swapping'. If your hard drive sounds like it is working hard, something is causing a system memory overload. I did this by opening two Java based applications at the same time with only 256MB of memory. I had to stop the second Java application to stop the hard drive from thrashing. I would recommend upping your memory to at least 512MB if you want to run several applications and NeoOffice/J.

James
juh
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject:

With 1GB RAM on my PB I only discovered bad performance while showing presentations with animation. Some animations like flying-in cannot be used, because they look too awful.

I am using still beta not the RC, are there any debugging options, which slows down the app?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:

Complex animations are always going to be a sticking point for Neo/J due to the workarounds in place for implementing XOR drawing and other operations. It'll improve with time but drawing will always be slightly slower than other platforms since natively, CoreGraphics does not support XOR drawing but OOo, coming from a Windows world, relies on it to do lots of drawing tricks.

ed
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the button

EW wrote:
Hi,

I can not find the turbo button. Is it on the back of my monitor?

Sorry, that was a (bad) joke. A reference to those buttons on PCs in about 1986.

Anyway, the answers above are probably more helpful.

W
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Pfft. The old trinity had a turbo button. It made an LED on the front panel orange instead of green. It boosted the speed so much I replaced the machine Wink

ed <--- amazed that the P133 without MMX lasted as long as it did
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Pfft. The old trinity had a turbo button. It made an LED on the front panel orange instead of green. It boosted the speed so much I replaced the machine Wink

ed <--- amazed that the P133 without MMX lasted as long as it did

Ed:

Up until about two years ago I had an IBM Thinkpad 760ED (donated to a good cause at that time). It was P133 and could hold a whopping 64MB of EDO RAM. Now I'm on a PBG4 1.3/768MB RAM and the original 60GB drive (I'm wondering if it is a 5400 RPM drive because is is very quiet). What an amount of improvement in about ten years (and you really don't want to hear me rant about the last twenty-five)....

In any case, I'm having difficulties getting NeoOffice to build. I'm thinking it is my connection and not the CVS servers. I hope to get all of it (Neo and OOo) someday. Maybe I'll hunt for a small hub one of these days.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject:

At what point in the process are you? It should be pretty straightforward to grab the NeoJ sources and they're pretty small.

As part of the build process, NeoJ has to connect to the OpenOffice.org CVS servers to download the OpenOffice.org source code and build it. The OOo anoncvs server is unfortunately not terribly reliable. Even on my connections which are fairly solid I usually can't get through a full checkout and have to re-execute it about 3-4 times.

Let me know if the Neo CVS server is the problem, however, as it does run out of swap space from time to time and needs a hard reboot. Patrick can attest to that.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2