NeoOffice :: View topic - ATTENTION WIKI USERS
ATTENTION WIKI USERS

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: ATTENTION WIKI USERS

Ok, so we've had some spam issues. I went in and deleted anyone i didn't recognize (which was most of the users)

this is NOT to mean that if you wre a real person and signed up that i got rid of you on purpose... just means i did not know. =) so tell me.

-j
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject:

I have no problem with a reaction in response to spam, but a massive deleting of anyone not recognized seems to me like an overreaction...

It's really no big deal for me, but why didn't you just chech the contribution list of the people you didn't recognize? That would be the easiest way to find spammers, wouldn't it?

Rolling Eyes
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject:

I do just have to give a shout out to Jake for helping with the wiki...having run trinity myself Wink

Being on major boards or ISPs really does desensitize people to the sheer amount of man-hours it takes people to deal with spam. Wikis and forums are on the "cutting edge" of spam attack, just like blogs, from the simple "googlebombing" attacks as well as the more unscrupulous redirection attacks, wiki defacing, and what have you...not to mention the hackers wanting to erase all the content or replace it with shout outs...

I used to keep a topic with all of the hack attempts on this box alone. I had to stop updating it since it took too much time. There are that many hack attempts.

It's difficult to get automated solutions that work well enough, but at least here I've gotten some in place that allow me to keep anonymous posting with a minimum amount of time spent on manual culling. Unfortunately I fear it's only going to get worse.

The amount of time spent admining all of our servers and our mirrors has gone mostly unnoticed for the last 2-3 years. I'm proud of that fact and hope I can keep it that way Wink

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Hear, hear! A round to all of the folks wearing multiple hats who keep this project going!

May the cheering be as endless and your devotion and efforts Smile

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the back pat Wink FWIW, I love OpenBSD:

trinity:var {119} uptime
9:38PM up 105 days, 21:26, 1 user, load averages: 0.30, 0.25, 0.18

That uptime would have been longer had the creepy rains in SoCal not taken out all the power and roads! Mad thanks to Paul for donating her. He's thinking of donating a new cvs server too, but I don't think he's reading... Wink

Oh well, back to the Spotlight plugin.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Oh well, back to the Spotlight plugin.

ed

Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy

Just a couple more days and you'll be out from under NDA, no?

Smokey
(who probably won't jump on 10.4 soon anyway, but appreciates the need to search text of OOo/Neo documents)

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject:

wait, there are emails and posts that AREN'T spam??
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
wait, there are emails and posts that AREN'T spam??

I think that's what they mean by "content"

knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject:

Of course I, like anyone else, appreciate the work done to keep the wiki and trinity running smoothly...

But, as I guess you can imagine, being deleted from the wiki was somewhat confusing, and I (of course) tried to log in there with all thinkable nicks and passwords, before I read the message from Jake... I thought I had got Alzheimers overnight... bad feeling...

Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject:

knutkja wrote:
I thought I had got Alzheimers overnight... bad feeling...

First thing I do isn't to check the forums but the level of the bottle of gin...

ed <--- now that neolight is up can get back to some gibsons
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

First thing I do isn't to check the forums but the level of the bottle of gin...

Seems that our habits are a bit different on that point... but I do take your advice, and do so from now on... Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:

At least it's still better than waking up in a public park wondering who took all your acid and why you have vague memories of chasing man-size lizards...not that I would do such a thing mind you...

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
At least it's still better than waking up in a public park wondering who took all your acid and why you have vague memories of chasing man-size lizards...not that I would do such a thing mind you...

Ah, that sort of idiocy brings back memories of the time I lived in Berkeley Smile.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1