CD distribution rules and discussion

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Building up nicely.

I think it must be clearer that system requirements is 10.2 or later.

(Is there a "Tiger ready" logo from Apple that could be used, I wonder?)

Should the phrase "Seamless Integration of OpenOffice.org with Mac OS X" (as appears in Press Kit) not now replace the "Bringing the Power..." slogan?

It would be unfortunate to have such a discrepancy between the launch announcement and the CD carrying the software!

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject:

Gorgeous!

rays wrote:
I think it must be clearer that system requirements is 10.2 or later.

Ray's right. Also, to be nit-picky, remove the comma after "256 MB RAM" and the period after "400 MB free disk space", since a list is not a sentence Smile

What do you mean by "See documentation for installing and details."? "installation instructions"? The phrase as-is sounds a little awkward to a native English speaker Smile

The "NeoOffice®/J 1.1" seems odd-shaped, perhaps squished...is that from trying to kern the ®/ part? In Photoshop I just adjusted the kerning between those two characters, but I don't suppose you have that option in your label-creator....

The color-match between the NeoOffice®/J and the red/brown of the ship hull is very good; the blue in "Community Distributor" doesn't match either the blue in the globe or the blue of the fade; I think it should match one of the two to keep the color palette small and consistent.

I'm pretty sure now the actual font used in "Bringing the power" is Skia, if you wanted to use that. I still think that the "p" in "power" should be lower-case just like it is everywhere else Smile

rays wrote:
(Is there a "Tiger ready" logo from Apple that could be used, I wonder?)

Even if there is, I'm not sure there's room for it on the CD Smile (Nope, all I see is the normal "Mac Logo Program")

rays wrote:
Should the phrase "Seamless Integration of OpenOffice.org with Mac OS X" (as appears in Press Kit) not now replace the "Bringing the Power..." slogan?

It would be unfortunate to have such a discrepancy between the launch announcement and the CD carrying the software!

"Seamless Integration" is just a section header in the press release (but a very nice one) Smile "Bringing the power of OpenOffice.org to Mac OS X" is still the official slogan of Neo/J, and all the rest of the promotional and marketing materials (including the splash screen and about box) use it.

Anyway, I think the label is gorgeous and coming along very nicely! (I just happen be a nit-picker by nature Sad)

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject:

The label really looks cool.

sardisson wrote:
What do you mean by "See documentation for installing and details."? "installation instructions"? The phrase as-is sounds a little awkward to a native English speaker icon_smile.gif

Since there is an "Install.html" file on the CD, I suggest the following text:

"For installation instructions, please open the CD's Install.html file."

sardisson wrote:
"Seamless Integration" is just a section header in the press release (but a very nice one) Smile "Bringing the power of OpenOffice.org to Mac OS X" is still the official slogan of Neo/J, and all the rest of the promotional and marketing materials (including the splash screen and about box) use it.

I agree.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:

Patrick, the Install.html on the .dmg is just a redirect to the download page, so it's no help for people who are offline Smile

We're proposing a CD include a standard readme that includes links to important resources (planamesa, newowiki, trinity, bugzilla, oooforum), a note about patches and patch updates, and a section on installing Neo/J and supporting cast (help, langpacks) from CD, all tailored to the offline user/user without broadband. Smile

See Draft CD Distribution Policy

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Patrick, the Install.html on the .dmg is just a redirect to the download page, so it's no help for people who are offline Smile

...and as the CD distro is largely going to be for people unable to download it due to slow or intermittent net connections, this isn't necessarily the best thing to point to, hehe. Razz

FWIW, the licence text and link at the bottom of the CD image are a little offset from the vertical centre (i.e. they are located a touch too much to the left hand side).

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
sardisson wrote:

...and as the CD distro is largely going to be for people unable to download it due to slow or intermittent net connections, this isn't necessarily the best thing to point to, hehe. Razz

Good point. I assume that we will replace the "Install.html" file with folders named:

ČeÅ¡tina
Deutsch
English
Español
Français
Italiano
日本語
Nederlands
tiếng Việt

Initially, I can put all of the files at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/ into the Neo/J cvs repository with a script that processes all of the PHP code into HTML (very easy to do with the "php" command) and dumps the HTML files into the appropriate localized directory.

Patrick

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject:

Patrick, since you're talking about putting downloads.php into CVS to produce install.html for the .dmg, please have a look at the readme we've drafted for offline/CD use: http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/neoj/neoj_draft_cd_readme.rtf

It's obviously not translated, and it is tailored a bit to CD distribution (Ray and others added several important suggestions but which are relevant to offline installs in general), but I've long thought the Neo/J .dmg or installer needed a readme covering some of the points there.... Perhaps you'd be willing to included some of this info in a standard readme, since what it sounds like what you'd prefer is a standard CD that is equivalent to the .dmg.

The "non-standard" CD distribution we've been drafting allows more flexibility for regional distributors to include their language packs, help, help installer (and recent patches for all), which obviously will never end up on the official .dmg for download because of size and global nature of the download. (Again, see the outline of what can and what must be included on a Community Distributor CD in the Draft CD Distribution Policy.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:

Using your README.rtf file is a lot simpler than shoving the whole bunch of HTML files in the installer. So, here is what I propose for the Neo/J 1.1 final release:

1. I will remove the "Install.html" file in the .dmg file.
2. I will replace it with your file and I will call it "README.rtf".

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject:

There are some places where the readme should be tweaked yet...the "[due do]" part in particular, since I wasn't quite happy with that phrasing Smile

Smokey

Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject:

Howdy,

Thanks for the massive response to the CD label proposal. Can I challenge you to make a (short) text for the back of the CD cover???

K
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
There are some places where the readme should be tweaked yet...the "[due do]" part in particular, since I wasn't quite happy with that phrasing Smile

Since I need to do the Neo/J 1.1 final build this week, I made some updates to your draft README. Below is my updated version. Note that I added a blurb about copying and redistributing the CD. I also removed all references to "CD" so that I can also use this is the downloaded installer.

Patrick

--------

NeoOffice®/J Distribution

This file has been prepared in compliance with the NeoOffice/J Distribution Policy.

News and Support

Thank you for trying NeoOffice/J. Because NeoOffice/J is an open-source project developed and supported by an online community, there are many support resources available to you that you may not be aware of.

• NeoOffice/J homepage:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/

• Many commonly-asked questions and tips on using NeoOffice/J have been collected by our users in the NeoWiki:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/

• Trinity Forums offer news on the latest NeoOffice/J developments and support for Mac-specific program issues:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums

• Because NeoOffice/J is based on the international OpenOffice.org effort, advanced support for program features is available from platform-agnostic OpenOffice.org forums:

http://www.oooforum.org/

• If you find a bug in NeoOffice/J, you should report it in our bug-tracking system, the NeoOffice Bugzilla:

http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/

Important Information

Because of the nature of open-source development, bugs are being reported and fixes are being made available to users continuously. Patches, or small updates to fix bugs and add new features, are released on a regular basis. Users are strongly encouraged to download and install patches as they become available from the following site:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

Please note that as the latest patch always includes the fixes and features from previous patches, the patches can get as large as 4 MB.

The first time NeoOffice/J is run, it will ask you to register. Registration is not required, but if you find NeoOffice/J useful, we hope you will consider donating to help offset costs and support the continued development of NeoOffice/J.

Installing NeoOffice/J

NeoOffice/J uses the standard Mac OS X Installer and requires your Administrator password to properly install the application.

NeoOffice/J Langauge Packs and Patches also use the Mac OS X Installer, while the Help Content installer is an AppleScript which must be run as a user with Administrator rights.

If this distribution also contains additional Language Packs*, localized Help Content*, or Patches, you should install items in the following order:

1. NeoOffice/J
2. Language Pack(s)
3. Help Content for the language(s) you use
4. Latest Patch

* Not all languages have a Language Pack (provides user interface in your language and certain writing tools for your language) or Help Content available. In addition, not all writing tools are available for all languages in the Language Packs. Please note, however, that the core features of NeoOffice/J include support for working with many additional languages beyond those available in Language Packs and Help Content.

Distributing Copies of NeoOffice/J

Since NeoOffice/J is an open-source project staffed by volunteers and funded by donations, we encourage users to make and distribute copies of this distribution. You may even sell copies of this distribution as long the sales price is less than or equal to the cost to produce and deliver the distribution. In other words, our goal is to make NeoOffice/J available at little or no cost to all Mac OS X users so making a profit from sales of NeoOffice/J is prohibited.

For those of you that are familiar with the GNU General Public License (GPL), this may seem inconsistent with the GPL. However, it is not inconsistent. While the GPL gives you the right to copy, modify, and redistribute the NeoOffice/J source code, the GPL does not cover trademark usage. Since NeoOffice is a registered trademark, use of that trademark is not covered by the GPL. So, copying and redestributing NeoOffice/J must comply with the "no-profit" restriction described in the preceding paragraph.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Since I need to do the Neo/J 1.1 final build this week,

Wow! We're still shooting for the 22nd for the release date, right? There's still work to be done on the Press Kit and translating the the announcement Smile

pluby wrote:
I made some updates to your draft README. Below is my updated version. Note that I added a blurb about copying and redistributing the CD. I also removed all references to "CD" so that I can also use this is the downloaded installer.

Looks good. Smile That blurb was definitely needed.

In the future (what needs to be done won't happen in time for 1.1, but for the next release), a "more info" URL in the copying/redistirbution section to the wiki article on trademark usage and CD distribution would be nice.

Right now the page is still a mess (and also because we are still clarifying all of the permutations, like your sales and drop-shipment stuff) and because we need to get the PR and Press Kit done, I don't see the page being cleaned up in time....

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Wow! We're still shooting for the 22nd for the release date, right? There's still work to be done on the Press Kit and translating the the announcement Smile

Yes. I just need to have the binary ready a week before the release date because the mirrors need time to copy them and I need to get the CD image sent to a duplicator next week.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject:

knutkja wrote:
Thanks for the massive response to the CD label proposal. Can I challenge you to make a (short) text for the back of the CD cover???

What sort of text do you have in mind? That will help anyone who's trying to write it. Alternatively, there might be something in the wiki/announcement/Press Kit or planamesa.com that already fits the bill.

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:

My previous comments to the contrary notwithstanding, I did a little cleanup of the Trademark and Distribution Policy page and revised the list of requirements for being a distributor to reflect this afternoon's changes.

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice/J_CD_Distribution

Note the page is still draft and not linked to from anywhere except here and the semi-hidden "category" page.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6